It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What really annoys me....

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by EarthCitizen07

Originally posted by rigel4
reply to post by EarthCitizen07

Calm down citizen.......... I've got this.

Use Linux

Linux is not the solution. I like XP much more than Vista, but unfortunately had to accept this new, crappy and over-automated pos os after I trashed my old laptop and got a new one. I guess I could revert back after formatting the hard drive but from what I undestand it is not totally compatible with multi-processor systems.

Just recently I found out about automatic disk defragmentation and that explains the rampant hard disk noise/action. If you install lots of programs when you buy the computer plus remove all the bloatware that is forced on the consumer then the system becomes overactive and user input slow as hell.

Excessive hard drive activity is usually down to "Superfetch" service and "Indexing"
What kind of Processor do you have ? as Multi core is not the same as multi cpu!

Xp runs and uses all 4 cores in a quad core system, not sure about 6 or 8 cores though!

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 09:24 AM
link   
You really should try Linux

Ubuntu 12.04 LTS

Then then install "restricted Extras" from the software centre.

Awesome OS

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 09:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by EarthCitizen07

Calm down citizen.......... I've got this.

Use Linux

Linux is not the solution. I like XP much more than Vista, but unfortunately had to accept this new, crappy and over-automated pos os after I trashed my old laptop and got a new one. I guess I could revert back after formatting the hard drive but from what I undestand it is not totally compatible with multi-processor systems.

Just recently I found out about automatic disk defragmentation and that explains the rampant hard disk noise/action. If you install lots of programs when you buy the computer plus remove all the bloatware that is forced on the consumer then the system becomes overactive and user input slow as hell.

Excessive hard drive activity is usually down to "Superfetch" service and "Indexing"
What kind of Processor do you have ? as Multi core is not the same as multi cpu!

Xp runs and uses all 4 cores in a quad core system, not sure about 6 or 8 cores though!

Intel Core duo 2.10Ghz each.

2GB ram, vista basic 32bit

What is superfetch? I know about indexing though.....

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Here is link that describes "Superfetch"

Superfetch

Xp will run on your system much better than Vista...No offence though "Vista" Is the worst OS
ever made ...........By anyone.

Format your drive and reinstall XP........... or Ubuntu if you want something really good, prepare to be awesomised
Small learning curve if you like to learn,but you will be properly rewarded......... hell you don't even need anti virus!
edit on 5-5-2012 by rigel4 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 09:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Manhater

Guess you made sure that you haven't accidentally ticked a mute button in the mixer/volume controls?

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 10:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Doodle19815

try to find a proxy or an IP-spoofer. IP-nonsense solved :-)

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 10:30 AM
link   
reply to post by rigel4

Yeah. I am no computer or software engineer, but it seems microsoft and all the major software vendors are over-automating at an ever-increasing rate. XP was better in that it was more robust and less demanding on the system.

For the time being I am going to keep Vista though as it is just too much work to format and reinstall everything. Something like 20 programs give or take a little plus all the data from cds and dvds. Just ain't worth the time at the moment, plus I de-automated nearly everything.

just wanted to vent a little steam from the horrible workload microsoft places on the unsavvy consumer. Thanks for the replies and help. Good thing I have kept my registered copy of XP as I may use it in the future.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 10:48 AM
link   
I liked XP. The wife had Vista on her machine and I refused to use it. What a crap OS. I'm using Windows 7 now and I like it. Ditch Vista and you will be happy.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
I liked XP. The wife had Vista on her machine and I refused to use it. What a crap OS. I'm using Windows 7 now and I like it. Ditch Vista and you will be happy.

i would say, Ditch MS all together and get a mac. I switched in 2006. Never regretted it
this doesn't mean I do like the company. I like their hardware and software. It just works :-)

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 03:54 PM
link   
The worst part of vista, and which I believe ultimately causes hard drive failures, is the automatic disk defragmentation option being set ON as default.

You ONLY need to do this 1-2 a year and AFTER doing a disk error check, and this in turn AFTER checking for spyware and virii. It seems it was pre-set to do a disk defrag every week and combined with the fact I have installed something like 20 programs, plus something like 200 updates in total, makes for nightmarishely slow response times.

I am going to allow for lots of idle time and hopefully it will settle down eventually. I think microsoft makes good software but they cater a little too much to beginers and thus not suitable for performance. I should have known better and install stuff gradually, rather than all at once.

new topics

<< 1  2   >>

join