It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What really annoys me....

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 05:18 PM
link   
I fix one computer then other one has to break down. ARGH...Simultaneously.......

I fixed the sound on one computer, the viper system and now the sound on my system is totally mute but is acting like it's playing.

GRRRRR... I bet it was when I did the windows update.

So, annoying.....................Now I have to figure it out... BAH..........

Can anything go right?

Or do they do this BAH HAH HUMBUG on purpose???

edit on 4-5-2012 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 05:23 PM
link   
did you try switching it off and back on again?

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 05:27 PM
link   
reply to post by lacrimosa

Yeah, I did the shut down and restart. Still nothing. ugh.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 05:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Manhater

Tell me again what hardware this is. And it's Windows 7 Professional?

Also, right-click My Computer and select Properties and then open the Device Manager and see if it shows any (audio) problems there.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 05:43 PM
link   
Did you try puching it. I have a Toshiba I bought in 08 and when it acts up I just hit it and show it whos boss. It may have a huge deppression in the keyboard but it still works likes a champ. They should use mine for a Toshiba commercial. I also keep it in a workshop so it gets full of saw dust and other crap. I even had an unamed seed sprout in my keyboard once.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Hi, go to the configuration menu(if it's called like that in english) and look for audio settings. Maybe go to advanced settings and see if one of the volume bars is scrolled all the way down, maybe the one that says "wave".

That happened to me often.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 05:49 PM
link   
May I recommend?

Just kidding.

Sounds like either a virus or a driver problem. Might be prudent to move this to Computer Help. Our members are damn smart. OK?

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 05:59 PM
link   
Try re-configuring it with a Hammer

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 06:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Ex_CT2

Amazing..No Audio problems. Must all be in my head.
I swear..

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 06:06 PM
link   
I'm telling you.. It's total conspiracy.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Does this help

windows.microsoft.com...

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 06:14 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

Not fair! I wanted to watch but my country (USA) has blocked what ever it is. It is EMI?

Good luck with your problems Manhater. I regularly have to call my husband to come fix whatever I have messed up on my Laptop. He is becoming quite the pro.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by artistpoet

It's telling me nothing is wrong with my sound card and everything works properly. I actually just listened to it 30 minutes ago. While updating my sisters system with the viper, that's when it happened. Neither of the computers are connected. But her's, sounds like a surround sound system. Go figure.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 06:20 PM
link   

I am pretty much dumb as a rock regarding comps so forgive my stupidity but have you tried a system restore?

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 06:23 PM
link   
reply to post by artistpoet

Yes, I did. Didn't work.

Another conspiracy.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 06:24 PM
link   
How to Fix No Sound

The following article covers:

About "no sound"
Causes of "no sound"
How to Easily Fix "No Sound"

About "No Sound"

Are you having difficulties producing sound or music from a computer that once had no problems doing so? There are a number of reasons that cause the loss of sound and audio from a computer. Most often, it is the audio device driver that is the origin of the issue. In this article I will discuss:

• How your audio device actually works
• Loss of audio and what causes it
• The common symptoms of "no sound"
• How to fix "no sound"

Before we begin discussing the loss of sound on your computer and how it can be fixed, it should first be explained how exactly an audio device works. With this knowledge, you may better understand one of the components of your computer and perhaps better understand what went wrong and how to fix it.

The Audio Device: How it Works

Sound cards (audio controllers, audio chips, audio cards) are connected to a computer using one of two methods: integration and expansion (dedicated or stand-alone). Integration of a hardware component with the motherboard means that the device itself is a part of the motherboard and cannot be removed. In contrast, a stand-alone component is plugged into the motherboard by way of an expansion slot such as PCI or PCIe and can be removed should it need to be replaced or upgraded. In either situation, the device works the same.

The audio device works by utilizing a small, audio processor dedicated to handling any and all audio signals that the operating system is requested to produce. This method of delegating a similar group of tasks, such as audio signals, to a device separate from the CPU (central processing unit), reduces the CPU workload, allowing it to focus it's energy on other, more complicated and priority tasks. However, the audio device does not know how to do anything without the assistance of a small but essential software component called a driver.

The Audio Device: The Driver

A driver is a piece of software that contains the instructions for a hardware device so that the device knows how to communicate with other devices and with the operating system. It may seem silly that a sophisticated device like an audio card doesn't already know how to do these things, but in fact the device is very dependent upon it's driver. Without the driver, the device simply will not function at all. This is why the audio driver is often a common problem for "no sound".

The driver for any given piece of hardware is developed by the same manufacturer of the device. The development of drivers is continuous and progressive. The developers are constantly looking for new ways to improve the performance of existing technology by researching new ways to make the driver out-perform the hardware. This technology is called hardware acceleration and is common in many other hardware devices as well. Drivers are updated quite frequently as the developers discover improvements and they are distributed freely from their websites. However, implementing the new technology can be challenging for most users as often times a driver must be installed manually.

So far, we have covered how an audio device works and how it does it's job with the assistance of an audio device driver. With this understanding of the device and it's operation, we can now begin to unravel the mystery behind the "no sound" problem.

Common Causes of "No Sound"

The audio device is no longer producing sound which it previously had no issue with. The causes of this problem can range over different areas and configuration windows of your computer. The most common causes are...

• the audio settings are not configured properly.
• the audio card is damaged.
• the driver for the audio card has gone missing or has become corrupted.
• the driver for the audio card is out-of-date.
• a recent upgrade or repair to the operating system caused faults with the audio driver.

It's common for audio settings to accidentally be knocked out of tune and with the development of new and better drivers occurring on a regular basis, the driver can become out-of-date very quickly. It's not uncommon for an audio card to go bad either. Audio cards do a lot of work, especially if you listen to a lot of music or watch a lot of movies on your computer. Upgrades or repair installations to the Windows operating system can also cause driver issues with audio cards as well.

This article will cover each one of these causes and provide steps for troubleshooting them. The tutorials here will guide you through the process of investigating the "no sound" problem and provide solutions for each problem. To manually trouble shoot your "no sound problems, check out our quick guide on how to fix your "no sound" problems.

If you want to avoid the hasstle and risk of looking for the correct drivers yourself, we recommend using the automatic method described below.

DriverUpdate

DriverUpdate's purpose is to provide easy, one-click access to all of the latest drivers for your computer. This saves you time and prevents the possibility of installing an incorrect system driver, which could potentially cause a system crash. All drivers offered by DriverUpdate may be available free of charge from manufacturer websites. DriverUpdate costs $29.97 for a one-year license, which enables you to download any missing or out of date drivers DriverUpdate finds.

How to Easily Fix "No Sound"

The root cause of "no sound" issues are almost always related to driver conflicts. There are literally millions of possible driver configurations in today's PC's. Finding the correct driver combination without crashing your computer or causing devices to stop functioning properly can be extremely difficult and time-consuming. Even the most skilled PC Technicians use automated tools to quickly repair "no sound" problems.

The easiest and safest way to fix "no sound" issues is to use an automated tool that takes the guesswork - and the legwork - out of it. An automated tool saves you the time of searching various sources for your sound problems, and ensures that you have the right drivers for your specific PC.

DriverUpdate automatically detects any driver problems on your computer and determines the correct, most up-to-date drivers for your system. This guarantees your computer won't encounter errors from incorrect or out-of-date drivers and makes problems with "No Sound" a thing of the past. To ensure you get the right drivers that repair your sound issues for good, use the Highly Recommended tool that makes it easy, use DriverUpdate.

The hours spent manually researching, and the inherent risks associated with installing drivers on your computer make using DriverUpdate the best solution. ( Click Here To Download DriverUpdate ) RECOMMENDED

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 06:25 PM
link   
My sound card is updated.

Running drivershq now.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 06:26 PM
link   
WHERES A COMPUTER NERD WHEN YOU NEED ONE????
edit on 4-5-2012 by artistpoet because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by artistpoet
WHERES A COMPUTER NERD WHEN YOU NEED ONE????
edit on 4-5-2012 by artistpoet because: (no reason given)

I know right.

I'm a semi-nerd. ROFL.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Have you tried to see if sound is on your headset?

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join