It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Iraq War Ruined My Life.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 06:13 AM
link   
reply to post by EyesWideShut

Your passion regarding this matter is very evident, and that is how it should be.

War has destroyed many peoples lives, be it the soldiers fighting in the war, or the innocent people being killed. Fact is, war is a machine of destruction. Anyone involved in a war, or who has ever been in a war, know this. War ruins lives, and ruins people. That is how it has always been, and how it will be in the future, no matter how "humane" they try and make a war.

Op, I feel for you mate, and I wish you all the best in trying to figure out your next step.
Godspeed.

vvv
edit on 5-5-2012 by VreemdeVlieendeVoorwep because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 06:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by EyesWideShut

Originally posted by CrimsonKapital

reply to post by usmc0311

Now this might seem a little insensitive here, but whilst the Iraq war may have ruined your life, do you know how many lives YOU ruined?

I'm guessing this is Rhetorical because you can't possibly know how many if any , BECAUSE YOU WEREN'T THERE!!! But I'm curious...how many lives has the OP ruined there Crimson? 2?, 34?, 780? spit out a number... to keep things fair , do you know how many lives YOU'VE ruined?!?

You idiot I'm not saying the OP himself is the cause of it, I don't know if he killed people or how many. All I'm saying is the "general soldier" marine what have you is the cause of the suffering. From whichever side that may be whether its the Ba'ath loyalists or the NATO forces.

I haven't ruined anyones life/s, because I don't support wars that are for the "profit" of corporate entities, I do support war ONLY when its neccesary for survival, etc, invasion of ones home country.

So you basically know nothing about the op's history as to what he did in Iraq, how long he was there or in what capacity he served? But that's enough for you to go ahead and insinuate that he's ruined lives there?... and I'm the Idiot?

You didn't make a "general statement" about our armed forces causing suffering, you made a direct attack on a person in a forum in which he's trying to come to terms with things internally and he's asking for help. You attack this person anonymously... I'm sorry but I can't respect that and I view it as cowardly. I voice my opinion VERY strongly on this board, but I'd never type ANYTHING that I wouldn't be willing to say face to face with someone.

If in your opinion warfighters are the only people that "ruin lives" , you have a very unique definition of the word "Ruin" and have a lot of learning and growing to do.

At the end of the day, you've stated you DO support war, but only on your terms... think about that.

I'm not insinuating HE himself was responsible, but yes soldiers in general who have fought in these unjust wars take just as much of the blame as the politicians who sent them there. You seem very intent on making me bite, and just because I made an "insensitive statement of which I acknowledge you use that to say I'm attacking this man anonymously?
I never stated "warfighters" are solely responsible for ruining lives, innocent lives might I add. There are lots who are responsible from the corporations to the dim-witted politicians, but in the end who holds the gun? Thats exactly my point.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 06:24 AM
link   

. Holier than thou types like you that point fingers but have no soultions are a dime a dozen, but hey, thanks for your contribution!

no solutions?

stop going to 'war'

stop volunteering to kill people under the guise of "serving" ur country

iraq war was NOT the first -- persian gulf, iran contra, etc flowed into iraq war after decades.

folks joining the military KNOW what they are getting into - getting off on abu ghraib etc, too

Americans killing people then crying my life is ruining.

figures

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 06:29 AM
link   

Now this might seem a little insensitive here, but whilst the Iraq war may have ruined your life, do you know how many lives YOU ruined?

I'm not insinuating HE himself was responsible

Emphasis mine on first quote.

Need i say more?

edit on 5-5-2012 by skitzspiricy because: Typo

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 06:38 AM
link   
reply to post by BiggerPicture

Thats exactly my point, at least someone agrees with me. However, I truly hope the OP gets some help I know our governments aren't known for their "assisitance" to veterans. I mean no offense to you personally, but the American forces have been devastatingly tarnished from recent events ie, Panjwai Massacre.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 06:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by skitzspiricy

I'm not insinuating HE himself was responsible

Emphasis mine on first quote.

Need i say more?

edit on 5-5-2012 by skitzspiricy because: Typo

Touche, as stupid as I was in writing that I did not *mean* that. Like I said before I'm referring to the entire military industrial complex AKA the American Army. All of those who are involved in this "complex" are to blame, like I said earlier whether they be the corporate chairmen or the politicians, but in the end who is holding the gun?

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 07:00 AM
link   

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 07:09 AM
link   

First, thank you for your service and sacrifice. I can empathize but not really understand your situation, as I've never been in combat or the military.

However, I have dealt with PTSD and Clinical Depression my entire teen and adult life. The PTSD stemmed from a violent rape, I'm sure the depression was also caused by it.

I, too, have spent years trying to find help. I even committed myself to a mental hospital for two weeks....and that was the beginning of the turning point.

You mentioned you've been on several antidepressants. If you don't mind sharing, which ones have you taken? They all work in different ways and it can be extremely difficult doing the trial by error thing to find what works.

Are you familiar with the medication Clonidine? It's an older med, been available for decades, and is generally used to treat blood pressure. However, Clonidine has recently been used, successfully, in treating PTSD. It soothes the area of the brain affected by PTSD, thereby reducing symptoms. You might want to research Clonidine and consider giving it a try.

I know it sounds like I'm a pharmaceutical rep, but after years of struggling to overcome my own issues, I've discovered that certain meds do help me.

Most importantly, it sounds like you need someone to talk through your experiences with and who can help you learn strategies to deal with the stress. Have you considered a cognitive or behavioral therapist? Generally speaking, these therapists don't just let you talk about your feelings. They help you develop skills to deal with the sudden stress and anxiety of PTSD. I found one therapist completely by accident and she was a godsend. She prescribed a mild anxiety med for me to take when needed, an antidepressant, and for the next two years she taught me coping strategies while slowly weaning me off the anxiety med. Now I know how to handle certain stressful situations better, and it does help.

Family support is crucial, and it sounds like you have none. If and when you find a therapist, consider having your family attend a session where the therapist can explain the reality of your situation and your family can ask questions. This could help them to understand your situation and empathize with you.

Do you keep a journal? I've discovered that pouring out my feelings and frustrations onto paper allows me to acknowledge my thoughts and work through them. After reading your entries in the short story forum, I can tell you are a talented writer. You might give this a try and see if it helps.

I'm always available if you need to talk, just U2U me.

Sending love and best wishes your way

-smylee
edit on 5-5-2012 by smyleegrl because: Hit the enter button to soon

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 07:10 AM
link   

Reading your post makes me never want to claim I was in the Army at all. I never saw "True" active duty.."combat deployment." I sometimes tell different stories, but I will not tell the truth about this ever. I shouldn't say anything other. PM if you wish OP. I can at least hear your thoughts personally. Even if I have no good answers.

I've read a good deal of your posts on this site, and only a very few times, as far as I read, mention PTSD, at all, maybe hinted? Maybe it was all just a bridge to come to this point? You are Safe here man. I wish I was a Marine. Then I would always BE...
When I was discharged Medical/Honorable yet they claim pre-existing.(tried dealing with VA and gave up), they Took my flag off my arm. That was the first thing they did to me. In some "kick out" station with a bunch of article 15s and asses... I'm not sure I've ever said this in public. It makes me SAD.

I heard from some Marines that THAT was THE he77 hole, at the time anyway. (Fallujah)

I am not the person to talk to about this. I "got out." That's what they told me, and it was true. Here I am typing and I could be dead.

I can only imagine that all my friends I was torn from, my brothers, are OK. They're mostly psych ops, so they're all probably fine physically, but you know. Ok. Have to stop typing or I'm going to cry I think. Ok I am...

Thank You for your post, and your thoughts, and your mind, and YOU,

Thank You!

~Dusty (One Four Echo)

edit on 5/5/2012 by Dustytoad because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 07:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dustytoad

I can only imagine that all my friends I was torn from, my brothers, are OK. They're mostly psych ops, so they're all probably fine physically, but you know. Ok. Have to stop typing or I'm going to cry I think. Ok I am...

~Dusty (One Four Echo)

edit on 5/5/2012 by Dustytoad because: (no reason given)

Cry!!!! Let out the emotion...you will feel better.

Our society has done a real disservice to our men. I'm not sure how it started, but somewhere along the way our men have received the message that real men don't cry.

As a woman, I get a free pass to be emotional. I can (and have) locked myself in my bedroom and cried for hours. And do you know how I feel after one of these crying sessions?

Emotionally drained, emptied, and somewhat at peace.

So cry away, my friend. Hide in a closet if you need to, but let out those emotions. Crying is cathartic and healing. You will feel better, if you give yourself permission to cry.

Sending love and well wishes your way....you are not alone

smylee

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 07:55 AM
link   

I wont get into my issues with the VA or my PTSD but after dealing with both for several years after service I decided to look elsewhere for help and came across the new techniques being used to help PTSD. It saved my life and i have never heard anybody who has gone through such treatment say that it did not help. Please look into this:

www.brainspotting.pro...

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 08:00 AM
link   
Your a brave dude OP.

I think soldiers will continue to feel this way as long as we send them to war due to political posturing and not out of self defense.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 09:00 AM
link   
i have been in the shadows of this site for years....i registered finally just to reply to this post...i can honestly tell you that you are not alone there are a vast number of us experiencing the exact same thing..you have figured out that once this government is finished with you your not worth a damn to them, screw your rights, screw your health and screw your opinion. there is a place for people like us....its called the militia...and it isn't about protecting the sheep who you will learn aren't worth protecting. its about protecting ourselves and getting what we gave ourselves to this country for. it is our duty to have the chance that so many paid for in blood, i have alot to say about this...im sorry that you had to learn the truth like you did. i am from your area, and i would welcome a message from you, i am here anytime you need to talk. together we can make it, us veterans have only each other. and if we dont stick together we have failed in our duty. im tired of watching these things happen to my comrades, tired of veterans with no choice other than taking a bullet that would be better used on the ones responsible for our trouble. i for one will never let this governments foolishness defeat me. most of us who served in the middle east wars will most likely die of cancer. and someday they will erect a monument to our failure and recognize us and offer help only after its too late. i better stop before i go off the deep end here......but you have a friend and together we CAN stop this.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 09:04 AM
link   
going to war, invading homes and killing some ones father, all to get a big monthly paycheck, is just plain bad.

what goes around that comes around, both on individual and nations scale

on the bright side... nothing which can't be mended, as long we are still alive.
edit on 5-5-2012 by nagabonar because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 09:07 AM
link   
OP, I would suggest starting from the ground up. You took the first step and know you want help. The second I would suggest is printing out your post and giving a copy to your family members.

We as men in general do find it difficult to communicate, not by choice.. but by our very nature. Yes, yes.. some have been able to not be the norm.

Would be easier to have it in writing so as not to mix in your mixed emotions when communicating it to loved ones.

Those who read your letter may wish to have you elaborate.. if so.. then find a mutual location, resteraunt... park.. etc..

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 09:17 AM
link   
The Iraq war ruined the lives of everyone. Just not everyone realizes it yet...even after the fact that we're broke has been reported over and over.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 09:18 AM
link   
It's infuriating when we send people to a war, then can't take care of them when they get home. Human beings aren't cut-out for war anymore, what do they expect? Of course there will be problems. There are many kinds of PTSD, but Combat PTSD is the worst.

Your symptoms may never completely go away, but they WILL diminish over time.
Hang in there friend.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Keep up the good fight! Take it day by day. I can tell you the Iraq War has not only drastically changed your life, but my brother's as well. He was a Corpsman with Marines out of Twenty Nine Palms. Was there for the invasion of Iraq and the subsequent occupation serving in Al-Anbar Province. Before he left, my brother was outgoing, positive, and had a very cheerful outlook on the world. He returned a shell of his former self. Very distant, withdrawn, and lives what I would call a Spartan lifestyle. He has not been to the VA, will not talk about it, and largely sticks to himself. My family has tried to be as supportive of him as possible. My brother had him live with his family for awhile to bring some normalcy back into his life, and tried to get him to go to the VA. He would not go, and would find any excuse under-the-sun to avoid it. He is a Veteran as am I. Prior Navy ourselves, but served aboard ships. I hope my brother can take the positive steps you are doing right now, and that one day he can sort things out on a personal level.

Just know that you are not alone, and this experience can ruin your life if you let it. Find some outreach groups with veterans, join the VFW, and do anything you can to unload the baggage you are carrying because all it is doing is weighing you down. Your experiences will be with you until the day comes they throw dirt on you. My grandfather dealt with his emotional traumas from WWII his entire life. He would wake-up from a dead sleep screaming in the middle of the night. Moreover, talking about it with him was mute. Never was there a time when he discussed his experiences at length with any of us. I think talking about it with others that have similar experiences is the best therapy. Don't bother talking to civilians about it, because they will never understand. I would not fault your family either, because they have no idea what you went through. Give them time. There are a lot of Veterans on ATS, and we got your back brother! Semper Fi!
edit on 5-5-2012 by Jakes51 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 10:28 AM
link   
reply to post by nagabonar

going to war, invading homes and killing some ones father, all to get a big monthly paycheck, is just plain bad.

what goes around that comes around, both on individual and nations scale

That’s not why people enlist and you know it. Stop trolling and move on, bro.

You know the saying 'If you don’t have anything nice to say, don’t say anything at all'? This thread is one of those times.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Double

edit on 5-5-2012 by seabag because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join