It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Iraq War Ruined My Life.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 04:01 AM
link   
It is amazing that even when highly damaged the human spirit knows what it needs to recover!

PTSD is treatable. It can't be cured. It can be treated. Consider your Factual memories as being separate from your Emotional memories. When your two memory groups disagree PTSD is born. You tell yourself that event (a) doesn't bother you. No probs. However, your Emotional memory is screaming because Event (a) really threw you for a six.

You want one on one time with someone, that is exactly what you need. Helping other vets will help you in the long run. There are multitudes of Psychologists out there, some even know what they are doing! A few of these would suit your personality. Keep looking for someone special that you may be able to trust.

If you have PTSD secondary to amnesia, PM me. It is treatable but not many know how. Oh, they say they do, can't have professional people telling the truth can we!

PTSD can be overcome for the vast majority of your future and on the rare occasions it can't you can take a sicki! We call the mental health days!

Be strong!

P

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 04:17 AM
link   
reply to post by pheonix358

I have alot of when I think about Iraq there is so much of it I cannot recall and so much more that I do all seems like I dreamt it almost like waking up in the middle of the night when your body makes a physical reaction to a dream and that moment u expieriance of reality meets the state you were just in if you know what I am trying to say. I've been through alot in that country but no nightmares just alot of missing time, I even sometimes get times confused as far as when I was there like my mind wants to make a connection as if things were good, then they got bad then they got good again like a story being played out that had a happy ending when in fact it wasn't that way, it does sometimes get very surreal, sometimes even very strange and upsetting to me.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 04:28 AM
link   
if its any comfort, think of the life you still have,

while millions of Iraqi & Afghan & other mideasterns including women & children have and are still killed off in the millions

and they did not sign up to fight, to say the least, soldier.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 04:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Brotherman

I have alot of when I think about Iraq there is so much of it I cannot recall and so much more that I do all seems like I dreamt it almost like waking up in the middle of the night when your body makes a physical reaction to a dream and that moment u expieriance of reality meets the state you were just in if you know what I am trying to say. I've been through alot in that country but no nightmares just alot of missing time, I even sometimes get times confused as far as when I was there like my mind wants to make a connection as if things were good, then they got bad then they got good again like a story being played out that had a happy ending when in fact it wasn't that way, it does sometimes get very surreal, sometimes even very strange and upsetting to me.

The lapses in memory you are experiencing is the mind going into a self preservation mode. Your mind knows you can not possibly cope with it all so it is trying to limit your mental exposure. You NEED as a must have, someone to talk to and someone you can frankly talk to.

In a session having to say, I can't talk about that does not help. Perhaps your best bet would be to find a marine that returned from active combat and studied (or studies) one of psy fields.

One thing I would like you to consider is this. It May apply to you. We protect our family from the pain we are in by not talking to them. They would not understand anyhow! Then we are shaken that they don't support us.

Hmm. Perhaps you could talk to your wife and just bluntly tell her what it was like. Maybe talk about the children over there that didn't make it! Sorry to upset you but you need to make a start. I don't often try to help via this method but sometimes, when someone reaches out, well, I want to make sure someones listening!

Hang in there, it does get better, a little at a time!

P

edit on 5-5-2012 by pheonix358 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 04:43 AM
link   
reply to post by usmc0311

Now this might seem a little insensitive here, but whilst the Iraq war may have ruined your life, do you know how many lives YOU ruined?

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 04:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by CrimsonKapital

Now this might seem a little insensitive here, but whilst the Iraq war may have ruined your life, do you know how many lives YOU ruined?

No! You think? A little insensitive?

I would like to think how many lives are ruined by aholes without a tiny amount of care for their fello man.

It takes all kinds to make the world, I just wish some were not in it!

P

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 05:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by holywar666

You my friend, are a perfect example of a lab rat used by TPTB. I hope kids all over this country choose to never join the military. Thanks for the post.

And you are an oxygen thief that should have been swallowed... but hey, I'm pro 1A ....we're all entitled to our opinions right?

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 05:08 AM
link   

Lol I'm not married but if I had a wife one she wouldn't get her head filled with the stuff that makes mine not so peaceful. I don't really suffer from anything though which is why I found what you had to say in your above post about amnesia. It really is just that damned hard and/or confusing to remember things and then when I have a steady stream it's always as if the time line is messed up. I can relate to the OP about using VA sources as they only want to medicate you. I don't think I suffer from PTSD but I also have TBI from near rockets and IEDs. I have found that pictures are somewhat of a help in re orienting myself with where I was and then I remember what i was doing there, and the older I am getting it seems that more and more often I have those now it all makes sense moments, I try before to talk with other vets but it usually turns into one of those A suck it up, when I was in nam'... Or I feel like I am being talked down on by someone no better than myself, I keep in contact with some of my buddies from the unit but I don't try to hard to make them relive some of that stuff, it does get easier after I got out of my heavy boozing stage too
edit on 5-5-2012 by Brotherman because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 05:09 AM
link   

Wow, kick a broken man when he is already down, real nice

-------------------------------------------------------------

To usmc0311, keep talking, don't bottle it up inside. Don't give up, keep fighting for your rights as a veteran who served your country. You deserve to be helped.

edit on 5-5-2012 by skitzspiricy because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 05:23 AM
link   
reply to post by skitzspiricy

I'm not trying to offend here, I just want people to realise that there are innocent people out there who as a result of guys like the OP have made their lives living hell. Thats not to say I don't feel for the OP since soldiers are really just pawns for foreign policy, but I want people to open their eyes and see the true victims of war.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 05:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by BiggerPicture
if its any comfort, think of the life you still have,

while millions of Iraqi & Afghan & other mideasterns including women & children have and are still killed off in the millions

and they did not sign up to fight, to say the least, soldier.

And mexican drug cartels are wiping out a whole generation, Americans are killing each other at a rate of about 45 people per day , the brits are stabbing each other at the rate of 60,000 per year, Iran beheads people in public, 200,000 eastern european woman and kids are sold into the sex trade yearly and china censors the internet from it's citizens... Yeah, I'm sure the Marines are responsible for all of that too.

At the end of the day, the world is a $%#@& up place, It's been that way since the beginning, and if things don't change, it'll be that way till the end. Holier than thou types like you that point fingers but have no soultions are a dime a dozen, but hey, thanks for your contribution!

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 05:29 AM
link   

Been through a different war..same process tho...I feel for you mate. I wanted to say something..slow and clear..it probably wont stick in for some time yet but I think given where you are at, its important to say.

I want you to know that YOU are not the one with the problem. You are the unfortunate recipient of the terrible consequences of someone elses problem.

That little sentance can save you a lifetime of self abuse and self pity if you want it to.

Dont wait for gov to help.they wont....dont wait for friends to understand..they cant..if you want to recover your sense of soldiity then just put one boot in front of the other and keep walking. Follow your gut...look after YOU...eat good food..get plenty of rest...WRITE a lot...use your good reason..you've got a good mind...dare I say even better now you're seeing things outside of the illusion.

You cant have been there and back again without knowing as well as I do that there is more to this show than meets the eye...so when you can..stand back up....trust god..clean house..and more importantly, act on what you know...take the steps you already know you have to. Through really is the only way.

The only thing you can change about any of this is your attitude....and this entire experience wont be wasted if you've learnt better about what is and what is not from it. The "waste", if there is going to be one..will be *your* choice. As a marine..you know you can make better choices than that...there's always another option.

I realise how presumptive this post is..if you have no idea what Im saying..thats ok..dont worry..Im just a blip...but if it rings true..know your not alone...there's loads of us neck deep in the river..when you can..wave n say hi...you might be surprised who's swiming beside you.

It does get better..even THIS sh*t passes...even chaos ..ends.

SF

Ro

edit on 5-5-2012 by Rosha because: editing...what else?

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 05:31 AM
link   

I'm guessing this is Rhetorical because you can't possibly know how many if any , BECAUSE YOU WEREN'T THERE!!! But I'm curious...how many lives has the OP ruined there Crimson? 2?, 34?, 780? spit out a number... to keep things fair , do you know how many lives YOU'VE ruined?!?

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 05:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by EyesWideShut

I'm guessing this is Rhetorical because you can't possibly know how many if any , BECAUSE YOU WEREN'T THERE!!! But I'm curious...how many lives has the OP ruined there Crimson? 2?, 34?, 780? spit out a number... to keep things fair , do you know how many lives YOU'VE ruined?!?

Agreed...and how many more lives has the social silence of how many years now 20/30 cost?
Social silence held by the aware but inactive fearing and placated public who keep electing incompetant politicans into power in the first place; a public willfully ignoring they're being played for idiots..who think they have choices but *choose* to do nothing about them therefore side in greed with the oppressors; a public that has choosen to abdiate their responsibilities in and to life to 'authorities' rather than take them upon themselves and ACT. How many lives has THAT cost?

The key to having righteousness to support you..is knowing that it isnt about you....but it is ENTIRELY up to you.

Dont point a finger of blame toward those that have served and have awoken to a nightmare of the lie of it...especially if you've never served...and I'm not just talking about service in the military..I mean..*served*...in life. You dont get that moral high ground without earning it...so be really sure you have before you stick it to another...for your own sake if no one elses.

edit on 5-5-2012 by Rosha because: editing

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 05:49 AM
link   

I'm not trying to offend here, I just want people to realise that there are innocent people out there who as a result of guys like the OP have made their lives living hell. Thats not to say I don't feel for the OP since soldiers are really just pawns for foreign policy, but I want people to open their eyes and see the true victims of war.

Really, you know this how? TV?... The Internet?...Are you out in the trenches documenting the drama? are you out in the peace corps getting your hands dirty? UNICEF Something? Have you even ever been to any of these places you seem to feel so passionately about? What have YOU done personally to affect the change you want to see in the world...oh yeah, you voiced your opinion over an anonymous internet forum.

"I just want people to realise (It's REALIZE btw) that there are innocent people out there who as a result of guys like the op have made their lives a living hell"

Do you know how condescending that sounds to people that read that statement? Do the rest of us live in a box? It's as if you think you've had an epiphany and had to make a statement about something that has been going on since the dawn of man. There are people out there currently experiencing death and loss as I type this.

I've yet to see you type an original thought in this entire thread, please come back with a reply when you have something to say that the rest of humanity hasn't known for the last 1,500,000 years.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 05:50 AM
link   

You idiot I'm not saying the OP himself is the cause of it, I don't know if he killed people or how many. All I'm saying is the "general soldier" marine what have you is the cause of the suffering. From whichever side that may be whether its the Ba'ath loyalists or the NATO forces.

I haven't ruined anyones life/s, because I don't support wars that are for the "profit" of corporate entities, I do support war ONLY when its neccesary for survival, etc, invasion of ones home country.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 05:53 AM
link   
Reading your story; it echos what is taking place in Canada. It is shameful. I really liked the idea to mobilize yourself with other mistreated Vets. Give yourselves the help you are being denied. Plus, together, your voices will be louder and the message will be sent that your gov. doesn't give a crap about your safety and welfare, on foreign or domestic soil. I am discouraged by the propaganda messages put ot by the tyrants. This one below is so well done it sounds like a movie production of Marvel X-Men with all the heavy base sounds and High Definition images of the latest and greatest tech. This is what really annoyed me though, the narrator saying,

"And when the time comes they are the first to move towards the sounds of tyranny, injustice, and despair."

They left out the part that the tyranny, injustice and despair they are having to move towards is in Washington, on Parliament Hill.

I wish you the best in finding the support and help you and many let down others deserve.

edit on 5-5-2012 by sparrowstail because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 05:54 AM
link   

Really, you know this how? TV?... The Internet?...Are you out in the trenches documenting the drama? are you out in the peace corps getting your hands dirty? UNICEF Something? Have you even ever been to any of these places you seem to feel so passionately about? What have YOU done personally to affect the change you want to see in the world...oh yeah, you voiced your opinion over an anonymous internet forum.

"I just want people to realise (It's REALIZE btw) that there are innocent people out there who as a result of guys like the op have made their lives a living hell"

Do you know how condescending that sounds to people that read that statement? Do the rest of us live in a box? It's as if you think you've had an epiphany and had to make a statement about something that has been going on since the dawn of man. There are people out there currently experiencing death and loss as I type this.

I've yet to see you type an original thought in this entire thread, please come back with a reply when you have something to say that the rest of humanity hasn't known for the last 1,500,000 years.

Okay fair play, I don't actually know the situation on the ground in that war or in any war to be honest. But since you seem to know so much about this war can you care to explain to me what is it over? What for all the lives lost whether they be soldier or citizen?
edit on 5-5-2012 by CrimsonKapital because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 06:08 AM
link   

You idiot I'm not saying the OP himself is the cause of it, I don't know if he killed people or how many. All I'm saying is the "general soldier" marine what have you is the cause of the suffering. From whichever side that may be whether its the Ba'ath loyalists or the NATO forces.

I haven't ruined anyones life/s, because I don't support wars that are for the "profit" of corporate entities, I do support war ONLY when its neccesary for survival, etc, invasion of ones home country.

So you basically know nothing about the op's history as to what he did in Iraq, how long he was there or in what capacity he served? But that's enough for you to go ahead and insinuate that he's ruined lives there?... and I'm the Idiot?

You didn't make a "general statement" about our armed forces causing suffering, you made a direct attack on a person in a forum in which he's trying to come to terms with things internally and he's asking for help. You attack this person anonymously... I'm sorry but I can't respect that and I view it as cowardly. I voice my opinion VERY strongly on this board, but I'd never type ANYTHING that I wouldn't be willing to say face to face with someone.

If in your opinion warfighters are the only people that "ruin lives" , you have a very unique definition of the word "Ruin" and have a lot of learning and growing to do.

At the end of the day, you've stated you DO support war, but only on your terms... think about that.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 06:12 AM
link   

Okay fair play, I don't actually know the situation on the ground in that war or in any war to be honest. But since you seem to know so much about this war can you care to explain to me what is it over? What for all the lives lost whether they be soldier or citizen?
edit on 5-5-2012 by CrimsonKapital because: (no reason given)

Sorry to butt in..I know its not my convo but I have to ask Crimson -

If you dont know what the wars about..why havent you challenged the gov to find out?
More..if the mission wasnt clearly spelled out...why did you allow gov to send soliders in the first place?

What have YOU done since its inception, to stop them sending people to die or to murder?

Why do you allow a criminal cartel such as a governement to do this on your behalf in your name?

They only have as much power as you've given them..so why are you giving it to them without so much as a sigh? ( I live here too..so I know there's been not much more than a sigh from the Aussie public since Iraq 1 let alone Afghanistan)

Why do you lay the blame for the begining and ending of war into soliders hands, soldiers who by defintion, are unable by law and the power and authority YOU give your gov by your silence and inaction, to do much else than follow orders?

Are you prepared to stand up and support soliders who are standing up for their conscience..even if that means jail or even, death?

Again..before you point the finger outwards....and if you really dont like war...what are *you* doing about?

Ro.

edit on 5-5-2012 by Rosha because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join