It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Astronomer Catches Black Hole "Sucking in Star" Video

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 12:38 PM
link   
This is so cool!! Turns out these black holes are always eating stars. (This could be us on Dec. 21st 2012 right? lol) Now there is finally a live action video of this happening. Could any of you tech savvy ATSers out there post the video up so it makes it easier for people to see? Thanks in advance and enjoy

baltimore.cbslocal.com...

Black holes are out there sucking up stars like cosmic vacuum cleaners. But they’re invisible. We’ve never seen them work in real time… until now. A Hopkins-led team found a star caught by a black hole’s gravity. “And when it got really close, the gravitational force of the black hole literally ripped it apart, stretched it into a thin stream,” Dr. Suvi Gezari, a Hopkins astronomer, said

edit on 4-5-2012 by AllUrChips because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 12:43 PM
link   
reply to post by AllUrChips

“So these two telescopes are scanning the sky, waiting for something interesting to happen,” Gezari said. And it did. The light and energy that reached their instruments was created 2 billion years ago when the only living things on earth were microbes.

If we are catching phenomenon like this, surely there would be plenty of UFO out there right? Ehh, they wouldnt tell us if there were anyhow

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Cool link, thank you!!

Wish I could help with the video...just figured out you tube links..

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by timetothink

No worries

I barely learned to post Youtubes myself

Have to say though, its definitely worth the click imo

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Try this? Sorry won't know if vid is working till I post. Here goes.

Awesome video by the way. Really like it! Good find!

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 12:57 PM
link   
I would hardly call the possible destruction of life and civilizations 'COOL'. The terror faced by life on any surrounding planets is hard to comprehend.
I would describe this instead as fascinating or amazing. Fascinating to see, but to imagine we could be looking at the deaths of millions of lifeforms is very tragic.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Please use the search function.

It's been posted here multiple times.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Nice find! Damned interesting. Thanks...

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 01:04 PM
link   

It would be nice to see the actual event and not an animated version....But cool anyways!

I was really excited to see that and all of a sudden....This is a computer animation of what it looked like....

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 01:14 PM
link   
God damn, that story HAD to have been linked by the Drudge Report. There is just too much random off topic Obama hate lol.

At any rate,the video was great. First time observing a black hole is like the first time going to the moon.This is pretty big.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Popular
Please use the search function.

It's been posted here multiple times.

Yeah, I did use the good ol reliable
search function. No results, sorry to bother ya. By the way, when its time to vote for junior mod of the year, ill be sure to keep ya in mind

A tenured member like yourself should not have to deal with idiots like me, I do apologize

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by sayzaar
I would hardly call the possible destruction of life and civilizations 'COOL'. The terror faced by life on any surrounding planets is hard to comprehend.
I would describe this instead as fascinating or amazing. Fascinating to see, but to imagine we could be looking at the deaths of millions of lifeforms is very tragic.

I would!!!! People are not all the same ya know?

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Wish there was some sort of actual visual data and not an artists representation

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 01:32 PM
link   
reply to post by sayzaar

I said cool link...meaning I am glad the OP posted it...chill...I am crying over the death of a white buffalo, I am not enjoying the thought of the destruction of inhabited planet.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Already posted here

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 02:51 PM
link   
reply to post by elevenaugust

Already posted there

"I would give you a star for this post but it might get sucked in as well
Do Black Holes swallow ATS stars"

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 02:12 AM
link   
Please add your thoughts to one of the existing threads such as this one.

Thank you.

Thread closed.

new topics

top topics

join