It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK criticises 'tasteless' Falklands Olympic ad

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 04:19 AM
link   
reply to post by ludwigvonmises003

I have no doubt the good U.S.of A will soon over take us regarding this particular statistic.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 04:53 AM
link   
All the Yanks here should shut theyre mouths !
They have NOTHING to pontificate to us Brits about !
Why don't you lot leave the Marianus Islands ?
Oh, it went quiet when I last mentioned that didn't it ?
Oh and no Britain doesn't rule the world cos......

"You know where you can shove your hamburger............"

Peace

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 05:02 AM
link   
How is it illegal to be born on a island that is yours, be raised on an island that is yours, work on an island that is yours and then die on an island that is yours?

People dragging up the past and saying it's brutal, please tell me about one continent or one nation that has not shed blood in battle? And let me point out, this was over 300 years ago! Hardly a basis for an argument that has suddenly arisen in the 21st century.

All these American's and Canadian's taking the moral high-ground, what would you know about colonization accept for the modern day equivalent!?

The people that matter wouldn't give this a glancing thought as Internationally, it is accepted that an island has a right to self determination. Just like Gibraltar.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 05:05 AM
link   
reply to post by tanser

Don't even mention us giving Hong Kong back to China !
A lesson the Yanks could learn from ?

Peace

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 05:24 AM
link   

To all fellow Brits next time people try to piss us off just sing Rule Britannia to them
reply to post by boymonkey74

Like this

My fave is Land of hope and Glory

Sang by over a million people

I bet even the queen pissed her pants:

Love it!

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 06:02 AM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

My familys blood was spilt defending fellow Britons and their homes thats it....

I am assuming your family is not rich then.

RULE BRITANNIA BRITANNIA RULES THE WAVES BRITONS NEVER WILL BE SLAVES.

Sadly the great majority of you are slaves to a scam system enforced by your beloved monarchy and elitist/corporate scum.

Wouldn't you rather fight for a fair and equal Britain?
Not one where regular people are used and abused by those who control our financial systems?

Like I said stick to the OT make a thread if you want to bleat on how evil our leaders are. (Oh and I have met my queen and she is a great old gal very gracious)

It is relevant here.
Your talking about more people dying and I am talking about why it happens over and over again.

The queen is not even British, and I doubt she gives a crap about any of you. If she did perhaps she would use her huge influence for good rather then the usual absolute nothing.

I have nothing against the British people, you are good people.
But your not defending your people, your defending a system which opposes and harms its citizens.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 06:15 AM
link   
reply to post by HumanCondition

Listen here mat, we are BRITISH people defending BRITISH Falkland people who have the right
to self determination !
Now pish off !

Peace
Rule Brittania !

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 06:35 AM
link   

What a pathetic reply to bring in wealth to an argument!

Do you love your country?

Because it isn't wrong to love your country, your history and your monarchy.

GOD SAVE THE QUEEN.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 07:49 AM
link   

Erm our Royal princes have both been or still is in the armed forces and have been in harms way on occasion so your argument is invalid about saying the rich don't fight. Also Prince Andrew fought in the Falkland war and was also put in harms way during his 22 years in the royal navy.
Also our Queen was born in London so in my eyes she is a Briton, my family was French about 300 years ago but came over to the UK it doesn't make me french does it? I was born here so I too am a Briton so again your argument is once again invalid.
So get your facts right next time before telling us things you obviously have no clue about.

Rule Britannia

Good to see other GREAT Britons standing up for other GREAT Britons here

Chin Chin, Tally Ho all

edit on 5-5-2012 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 08:04 AM
link   
To the people making silly comments about the "The Evil British Empire", every major european country 1000 to 200 years ago were colonists or at war with one another, this isn't about acient history, or made up numbers about the Evil British who killed the worlds population 3 times over, this is about Agentina making a disgusting propoganda video to politacise the Olmypic games.

How would the Argie Goverment feel if Britian made a vid for the yachting team and showed footage of the sinking of the Belgrano, you know just because it looks cool???
edit on 5-5-2012 by Kurokage because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 08:16 AM
link   
You know folks the Argentinians were quite the colonists too themselves. You think they were the first people to inhabit that land? HAHAHA. They fought a colonial war of their own in Patagonia in the 1870s and 1880s called "the Conquest of the Desert" .... yeah that's right the entire half of southern Argentina wasent even Argentinian until the early 1880s.

That being said the Olympics are supposed to be NON POLITICAL. It's supposed to be a game of sportsmanship. SHAME on the Argentinians for bringing this matter into the games. Their teams should be disqualified.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 08:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by ChrisF231
That being said the Olympics are supposed to be NON POLITICAL. It's supposed to be a game of sportsmanship. SHAME on the Argentinians for bringing this matter into the games. Their teams should be disqualified.

The International Olympic Committee has given them a telling off for it.

“The Olympic Games should not be a forum to raise political issues and the IOC regrets any attempts to use the spotlight of the games for that end,” the IOC said in a statement to a news agency.

“We are in contact with the Argentine NOC ... and we have been reassured on a number of occasions that the NOC will not seek to use the games as a political platform and will fully respect the Olympic Charter,” the IOC said.

Argentina's Olympic Committee declined to comment and referred calls to the government. Argentina's foreign ministry also declined to comment on the IOC letter.

en.mercopress.com...

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 09:05 AM
link   
Americans with a weak grasp of history?

The Falklands are British. We've discussed this in depth at great lengths on many threads here. Nobody has the right to take the islands from the people who live on that island.

The funny thing is - Most Argentinians accept this fact as do most Brits, just not the odd hot-headed American.

For any disputing this, I suggest visiting a library or possibly taking a history course.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 09:51 AM
link   
reply to post by mr-lizard

Real Americans support our British cousins. It's the Fake Americans like Obama who support the illegal Argentine claim.

Anyone who even takes a quick peek at Wikipedia will see that the Argentine claim is bravo sierra. 97% of the Falkland Islanders are of British descent, they want to remain British, period. I really don't see what needs to be debated. They are British, not Argentinian. It's that simple.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 10:37 AM
link   

The queen is not even British, and I doubt she gives a crap about any of you. If she did perhaps she would use her huge influence for good rather then the usual absolute nothing.

Her power is only a convention, in fact no monarch has influenced a political decision in many years. Royal Ascent for example is just a tradition. She could say no and block laws etc in theory but she wouldn't, because parliament wouldn't allow it..

A lot of people take a lot of time criticizing our traditions and taking them literally, it's just for show. Her huge influence exists only in the media, which of course you could say influences the public and therefore parliament. But then we'd have to blame ourselves not the Queen of England.

As for you, may I ask you what country you hail from? Maybe I could make an ill informed comment about the history (military and political) that your very free, open and democratic country has in the records? I thought not. You may hate Great Britain's past, but it's exactly what it is, the past. Any country that's Ancient, has a lot blood on it's hands, that's part of the charm, and I don't hate the French because the Normans made our country a better place in 1066.

Get a grip.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 07:35 PM
link   
reply to post by tanser

What a pathetic reply to bring in wealth to an argument!
My point is that if he was rich they wouldn't be fighting would they.

Because it isn't wrong to love your country, your history and your monarchy.
I have nothing against loving your country, even tho your history is nothing short of despicable, but the monarchy is not even British.

Boymonkey:

Erm our Royal princes have both been or still is in the armed forces and have been in harms way on occasion so your argument is invalid about saying the rich don't fight. Also Prince Andrew fought in the Falkland war and was also put in harms way during his 22 years in the royal navy.
Yes it makes for a great photo shoot doesn't it. Majority of the British forces especially pre 1950 are all from poorer backgrounds.

Also our Queen was born in London so in my eyes she is a Briton,
Her ancestors are German, there were originally British monarchs but they got ousted by the one we have today.

VraxUK:

Her power is only a convention, in fact no monarch has influenced a political decision in many years.
She still has a lot of power tho and that is a dangerous thing.

A lot of people take a lot of time criticizing our traditions and taking them literally, it's just for show.
Its a pretty sad show when the history of the monarchy is nothing short of disgusting. For hundreds of years they lived in luxury while the majority of you lived like dogs, same thing happens today.

Her huge influence exists only in the media, which of course you could say influences the public and therefore parliament. But then we'd have to blame ourselves not the Queen of England.
An influence in the media is just as strong as any other but she still does have power.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 08:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

How the hell is the UK the agressor to an island that the UK founded and have had people living on it for a long time?.Hell,even before Argentina was nation so please do some research about the Falklands.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 08:11 PM
link   

I have nothing against loving your country,

But it seems as long as you aren't Brits loving Britain.

even tho your history is nothing short of despicable,

No more so than anyone elses.

The Spanish, French, Belgiums etc were far more cruel to the indiginous people's of their colonies than Britain ever was.
Look at the atrocities Spain carried out in The America's in their desire for Empire.
But for some reason people tend to conveniently forget and ignore that.

It was just that Britain was far better at every single thing that is required to build an empire, much to the envy of our continental neighbours.

Every single empire that has ever been has been built on the blood of the vanquished.

The Mayans, Aztecs and Incas etc all built up empires in America.
And every one of them did so by invading and defeating their neighbours, subjecting the defeated to slavery and mass human sacrifices and exploited the wealth of the conquered nations.

Pretty similair to what the USA is doing now.

but the monarchy is not even British.

The monarchy is more British than the vast majority of current citizens of the USA are American.

Yes it makes for a great photo shoot doesn't it. Majority of the British forces especially pre 1950 are all from poorer backgrounds.

The same as the military of every single nation that is and ever has been are.
Thats pretty obvious and totally irrelevant.

Her ancestors are German, there were originally British monarchs but they got ousted by the one we have today

The Queen can trace parts of her family tree back to Saxon times, and possibly beyond.
Of course their is some 'foreign' blood in there too, but that's probably the same for the vast majority of people.

Are all the second, third or even fourth generation Pakistani's, Indians, Caribbean etc here in the UK Britsh or are they from their country of origin?

She still has a lot of power tho and that is a dangerous thing.

She has no power whatsoever and if she ever tried to use undue and illegal force to influence policy or law making etc then she would go the same way as several of her predecessors did.

Its a pretty sad show when the history of the monarchy is nothing short of disgusting. For hundreds of years they lived in luxury while the majority of you lived like dogs,

Yeah, I totally agree with you, but the UK was no worse than anywhere else.
Look at the wealthy in the US today and look at the poverty that many are also living in.
And the US is by no means unique, take India for example - some of the wealthiest people in the world are Indian and how many Indians live in abject poverty.
Or Africa, the corrupt ruling elite live in opulence whilst millions starve every year.

But that doesn't fit into your anti-Brit rhetoric does it so it is again conveniently glossed over.

Very little of this has any relevance whatsoever with the OP and is nothing more than anti-Brit bigotry.

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 04:57 AM
link   

Your talking out of your A*** passage mate. You are a Bigot. You ignore the facts because you are the type of person to jump on any reason to spill vile racist abuse at us GREAT Britons at any given opportunity.
edit on 6/5/12 by Ezappa because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 07:31 AM
link   

Can you please comment on the video and not on how "Evil" the British are/where in the past, this is about the present Agentine goverment and a disgusting abuse of the Olympics and the rising tension between Britian and Agentina.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join