It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK criticises 'tasteless' Falklands Olympic ad

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Unity_99
Because its not the UK's, is an Island that belongs to South America, and the UK is not their except as an colonist, which means an aggressor, and so it has not jurisdiction or right to appropriate that island for itself and i've known that all my life. Wrong is wrong and nothing makes it right.

I don't actually believe in borders, or anything to do with our world, and believe in actually having heaven on earth, a wonderful equal and advanced world, however, what was done there was wrong.

The Falklands belong to the people living there. The Falkland Islands had no indiginous population when they were colonised, whilst Argentina consists almost entirely of European immigrants who spent much of their early history butchering the indigenous population.

On this basis I would argue that the Falklands belong to the islanders more than Argentina belongs to Argentineans, which puts their ludicrous claim to the Falklands into perspective quite nicely.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 01:19 PM
link   
30 years ago, a group of us sailed south and defended the islands against an unwelcome guest, and as old as I am now, I would damn well go again and do the same.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 01:50 PM
link   
reply to post by TheLoneArcher

And I would stand beside you my friend !

Peace

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by ProRipp

You would be very welcome.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Unity_99
Because its not the UK's, is an Island that belongs to South America, and the UK is not their except as an colonist, which means an aggressor, and so it has not jurisdiction or right to appropriate that island for itself and i've known that all my life. Wrong is wrong and nothing makes it right.

I don't actually believe in borders, or anything to do with our world, and believe in actually having heaven on earth, a wonderful equal and advanced world, however, what was done there was wrong.

But you're okay with the Spanish and Portuguese taking over South America? and the french and Brits taking over Canada? And the Han dynasty taking over all of china? The Dutch taking over South Africa?

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 03:09 PM
link   
Who would have thought the olympics would generate such overt nationalism and patriotic fervor(end sarcasm.)
That said I can't wait though.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 05:19 PM
link   
reply to post by EvanB

Such a hateful person. The advertising company was commissioned by Argentina so that doesnt matter its just business for them.

Sounds like the Islanders then could be considered to be squatters. The Agentinians should return the favor and send over a couple thousand of their less than privileged to take back the island by non violent means building their own homes and then claiming they want to be under Argentinian rule. Lets see if the English are so keen to respect the islanders wishes then.
edit on 4-5-2012 by Desolate Cancer because: fix

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 05:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Desolate Cancer

So I suppose you lot will be giving up Saipan and the whole Marianas occupation will end, right ?

Peace

edit on 053131p://05America/Chicago04 by ProRipp because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheLoneArcher
reply to post by ProRipp

You would be very welcome.
I would also be happy to stand beside you both!

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 06:11 PM
link   

......to take back the island......

How can someone take back something they've never had?

Argentina has no moral or legal right to the islands.

The Right To Self-Determination is a basic principle of the UN Charter.

Chapter 1, Article 1, part 2 states that purpose of the UN Charter is: "To develop friendly relations among nations based on respect for the principle of equal rights and self-determination of peoples, and to take other appropriate measures to strengthen universal peace."[13]
Article 1 in both the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights (ICCPR)[14] and the International Covenant on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights (ICESCR).[15] Both read: "All peoples have the right of self-determination. By virtue of that right they freely determine their political status and freely pursue their economic, social and cultural development."
The United Nations Universal Declaration of Human Rights article 15 states that everyone has the right to a nationality and that no one should be arbitrarily deprived of a nationality or denied the right to change nationality

en.wikipedia.org...

www.guidetoaction.org...

Seems to me that some people think Human Rights only apply when it suits them.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProRipp
reply to post by Unity_99

An Argentinian has NEVER EVER resided on the Islands prior to the British colonising it !
They never ever had sovereignty over it !
It does not belong to Argentina !
We didn't conquer it, it was deserted !
Get It ?

Peace
edit on 123131p://05America/Chicago04 by ProRipp because: (no reason given)

edit on 123131p://05America/Chicago04 by ProRipp because: (no reason given)

We didn't conquer it, it was deserted !

Yes you did its called occupation and colonization.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 06:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Freeborn

Hey like I said as an american I dont think it is much of my business. I am just thinking out loud and a thought exercise what would happen if Argentina was to ship over say 4x the current population of the islands, of argentinian nationals, unarmed, but with tools, to build homes and towns on the islands, not even next to the current inhabitants.

Then those people would presumably say they want to be under Argentinian control, what would happen then?

Most likely the British military would round them up before hand but I think it would be very damaging for the british to do that.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 06:35 PM
link   

So I am a hatefull person

Let me tell you a story

Many years ago the Falkland Islands were settled by BRITISH people who have been there ever since.. They clam British heritage and citizenship thus are independent but under British protection. BY CONSENT..

Then in 1982.. Some idiotic despot junta in Buenos Aires got it into his head to take the Islands as they thought they had a claim over it.. Even though the Islands were settled by the British BEFORE Argentina even came into existence!... Which btw... WAS an act of violent colonialism...

They invaded thinking that we would not care... The Islanders.. Born and bred there for many generations called for our help...

We turned up..

With people like the LoneArcher above... And kicked their collective corned beef asses back to Argentina..

Now with the loss of life endured... Do you think that we will just give it to them if they cry enough??

No

This goes way past economics... Its about pride... Its about democracy and self determination... And is something that every true Brit would fight for...

If they want it... They will be destroyed before they get on their ships...

edit on 4-5-2012 by EvanB because: (no reason given)

Edit to add

The guy in the advert symbolically was treading on all the graves of the British dead on that memorial..

I hope our hockey players DO break the feckers legs

edit on 4-5-2012 by EvanB because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 06:42 PM
link   
If any nation has a claim to the Falklands it's the Spanish, they were there and they deserted it.

And this was before Argentina even existed as a nation.

The Spanish abandoned it, so we claimed and colonized it.

That was almost 200 years ago.

I don't hear the Spanish making a hooha over it, so the Argies can go and get stuffed.

Argentina only got interested when they heard about the possible deep oil reserves back in the late 70's when the first surveys were completed.

They have no lawful claim whatsoever.

And if Argentina really wants it that bad.....come and take it !

Cosmic..
edit on 4-5-2012 by Cosmic4life because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 06:47 PM
link   
This will all backfire when at the Olympics
The Argies do not Win any Medals unless
They get one for being a sore loser
Though they may win Gold for
Pointless Rhetoric

Cran

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by cranspace
This will all backfire when at the Olympics
The Argies do not Win any Medals unless
They get one for being a sore loser
Though they may win Gold for
Pointless Rhetoric

Cran

I for one shall be booing them at every opportunity !

Cosmic..

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 06:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Agent_USA_Supporter

What part of this don't you understand?

Nobody lived on the islands at all when the UK established a colony there, they were uninhabited.

Argentinians themselves are colonists.
The Spanish colonisers of Argentina slaughtered nearly the entire native indiginous population of the area.

And the British colony was established prior to Argentina ever existing!

what would happen if Argentina was to ship over say 4x the current population of the islands, of argentinian nationals, unarmed, but with tools, to build homes and towns on the islands, not even next to the current inhabitants.

If it was done openly in a concerted, group effort then I suspect that they would be prevented from landing and repatriated.
If it was done by stealthy means, how that could be possible somewhere like The Falklands is beyond me but I'll play along, then I suspect that once proven that they had entered the Islands illegally and did not wish to seek asylum status then they would be repatriated.

If Kirchner had anything about her she would have taken the UK up on the very generous offer of an equal share in the extraction of all mineral deposits found in the terrirtory.
The UK even offered to build an oil refinery on the Argentinian mainland.
This would have provided a much needed boost to the Argentinian economy.
It would have also had the added benefit of improving relations between the islanders and Argentina.
A generation or so down the line who would have known what the islanders would have thought then?

But unfortunately for the Argentinian people Kirchner does not put their best interests first and the benefits would only have become evident after her term in office.
And it does not go along with her desire to portray the UK as colonial invaders and to gain control of the islands at all costs and to boost her international profile.

Unfortunately the people who suffer the most are the ordinary, everyday Argentinian people who again are being sold down the river by their government.

No British government will ever concede sovereignty of the islands to Argentina as long as the Islanders wish to remain a part of the UK, it would be political suicide if any party even contemplated it.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Desolate Cancer

I am just thinking out loud and a thought exercise what would happen if Argentina was to ship over say 4x the current population of the islands, of argentinian nationals, unarmed, but with tools, to build homes and towns on the islands, not even next to the current inhabitants.

Thousands of Argentineans would have to attain residency and work permits when there would be nowhere for them to work and nowhere for them to live. They would not automatically receive British citizenship either. Essentially this whole colonisation programme of yours would have to be approved by the Falkland Islands Government every step of the way and I can't see that happening, can you?

Originally posted by Desolate Cancer

Most likely the British military would round them up before hand but I think it would be very damaging for the british to do that.

If Argentina 'shipped them over' then they would be entering illegally. If they made it ashore without 'doing a Belgrano' then they would of course be sent back, like last time. It wouldn't be damaging in the slightest. It would be bloody hilarious.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 08:45 PM
link   
its no real suprise that the argentinians have used the olympics to make a statement about the falklands as the olympics generate a massive audience for them to appeal to, they will probably try a stunt at the games aswell.
also running on a war memorial is just discusting, hope he leaves the games in an ambulance...... thats if he makes it to the stadium at all.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 08:55 PM
link   
I'm just thinking what would the Americans do if Hawaii was invaded by Argentina, what would they say about that?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join