It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

1 = Infinity

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 09:32 AM
link   
I am no physicist or mathematician. These are just some random thoughts I had that I thought were pretty cool at the time. No they may not be mathematically sound but I think some may understand the intent behind the thoughts.

Last night while laying in bed I was doing some philosophical thinking. I was contemplating how pointless it is for us to measure time since time is a relative term that would be different depending on different planets and any other lifeforms personal decision of how to measure time.

This led me to thinking about how people say math would be the universal language between different planetary civilizations. Well who says they use math to measure time? Even distances. Our measures of distance are just arbitraty units that we made up. Sure there may be ratios that could help us communicate these mathematical ideas but it is still all relative. Our math to their math would be about the same as comparing Christianity to Islam. Both sides KNOW they are right and theirs is the only correct way.

Next I started thinking about math without distances and times. To me the only thing worth measuring is the universe itself, which should be designated as "1". The universe contains all that is so therfore it would be the best representation of "1". If you believe in the big bang then we could say before the big bang the way to describe what exists would be "0". Basically our universe is binary. Either off or on. Which could also explain why we are even seeing computer codes in our DNA. As above so below, fractals and such.

But between that 0 and 1 there are all the other numbers. One galaxy may be 0.0000000007490812356 of the universe (obviously a much smaller number, just an example). Planet Earth may be 0.000000000000000000000000001 within that 1, or an even more rediculous number when you try to measure a single human.

So by measuring all things within out universe big or small still have all the other numbers 123456789.

Therefore 1 contains every other possible combination of numbers, or 1 = Infinity.
edit on 4-5-2012 by WhiteSpectralMirror because: (no reason given)

edit on 4-5-2012 by WhiteSpectralMirror because: Grammar and spelling

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 09:44 AM
link   
Non duality is one without a second.
As you say the universe is one and contained in it is everything.
There is one 'thing' that you know for sure and that is that 'you are'.
Your being is a prime fact because you cannot say you are not.
So the 'one thing' that contains everything is you.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 10:00 AM
link   
I guess you can add as many zero's as you like together and you will never reach 1 so I guess you're kind of right. lol

IRM

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 10:16 AM
link   
Just wait until he finds the mathematical proof of the missing number that exists between 0 and .

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 10:25 AM
link   
That's an interesting thought experiment. Representing all things in the universe by the amount of the universe they occupy. The only problem I see with this line of reasoning is when you look at theories in which our universe is just one of many universes - multi-verse theories. If the multi-verse theories are correct, how would you then apply your logic?

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 10:28 AM
link   
or maybe its 1 and 0 at the same time

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by LevelHeaded
That's an interesting thought experiment. Representing all things in the universe by the amount of the universe they occupy. The only problem I see with this line of reasoning is when you look at theories in which our universe is just one of many universes - multi-verse theories. If the multi-verse theories are correct, how would you then apply your logic?

Each universe for it's own purposes would be a 1 like in binary code where 0 is simply the nonexistance of a universe. So many universes stacked ontop/beside/within or whatever may end up looking like binary.

LOL thanks for making me stretch my thought a bit.

EDIT:

Actually this brings to mind a documentary I watched where it was theorized the big bang was created by 2 membranes of other universes colliding with matter from each one exploding violently to create a new universe. It was theorized this happened all the time. So basically I would say that any collision creating a new universe would make a 1 where previously there was a zero. Again like with binary being compared to simple off and on switches.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 10:34 AM
link   
I kind of like this idea. It actually makes sense.

Saturn could be 0.000000000000000000012312
Jupiter could be 0.000000000000000000002738

1 could even be the "egde" of the universe.

But then again its still relative, so an ET civilization won't have the
same numbers as us if they have a different starting
point.

edit on 4-5-2012 by Vandettas because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by WhiteSpectralMirror

Your conclusion that 1 is infinity based on the fact that it can contain an infinite number of ever-smaller numbers is a misunderstanding of your own thought experiment. By this logic, 2 is also infinity, as is 3, 4, 412.6, pi, and any other number you can think of. They all contain infinite iterations of ever-smaller numbers.

The conclusion you can come to is that 1 contains the set of all Real numbers over the interval [0, 1]. This, of course, happens to be an infinite set. But that doesn't make 1 = infinity. Infinity, by definition, is the limit of the Real number set, which is not contained by 1.

I must say, your thought experiment is an interesting one, though.
edit on 4-5-2012 by CLPrime because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 10:50 AM
link   
reply to post by CLPrime

I basically disregarded all other numbers based on the premise that the universe itself is whole and should be measured as 1, with no need to count higher than 1.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 10:54 AM
link   

And that's your convention, which is fine. It's just as legitimate, though, with all other numbers.
What could possibly make 1 = infinity, in some sense, is if the universe is infinite in size. Then you can say that the unit 1 contains an infinite space, which is more "infinity" than an infinite set (which is not even a little bit infinity).

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Basically you've assigned 1 as being 100%. That's it.... nothing else.

...but how do you account for quantum superposition?

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 11:02 AM
link   
I think 0 = Infinity

Everything is nothing. Space is infinitely divisible. The physical is an illusion. That sideways 8 symbol that we use to represent infinity, is just a zero that God grabbed on either side and twisted.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 12:04 PM
link   
You can write one in infinitely many ways, being 1/1 =1 2/2 = 1 3/3 = 1, or when converting units you can do 60 sec * 1 min / 60 sec (that equals one) to convert to minutes and so on. Really useful in math and science. Also kind of a philosophical brain teaser.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jack Squat
I think 0 = Infinity

Everything is nothing. Space is infinitely divisible. The physical is an illusion. That sideways 8 symbol that we use to represent infinity, is just a zero that God grabbed on either side and twisted.

Emptiness is form. I like the zero twisted idea, it is like god (zero) looking in the mirror. God's image is seen by God and that is all.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Every 'thing' is contained in nothing.
Nothing (space) has to 'be' before anything can appear.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Itisnowagain
Every 'thing' is contained in nothing.
Nothing (space) has to 'be' before anything can appear.

What about the pre-big bang nothing?

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jack Squat
I think 0 = Infinity

The physical is the illusion. The physical is what is known, it is what is seen, heard, felt, it is what is experienced. It 'appears' to have existence. The image, the illusion of existence is constantly changing. Things appear and disappear. There are many 'things' in the illusion that are seen and known as existence.
The thing that is aware of existence is just pure awareness, it is here now and is always here. It is not a thing that can be known because it is what is knowing physical existence. It is what is seeing and hearing the illusion. Without the knower of existence with it's many 'things' nothing would be known.
This right here and right now is nothing being known.

The observed and the observer are one. One twisted so it can see it self.
edit on 4-5-2012 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 02:51 PM
link   
How about this. Since any object is observed relatively, then anything that exists is something infinite. Even a single atom is infinite because it can be observed in an infinite amount of ways giving it an infinite amount of definitions.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Infinity, divided by infinity, does equal one, and thus one over one, which also equals one.

I pondered over this once, and that's what I came up with, the implication being that indeed, infinity = 1

top topics

<<   2 >>

join