It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Glass dunes discovered on Mars

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+23 more 
posted on May, 4 2012 @ 09:25 AM
link   
Yet another discover supporting the existence of life on other planets.

www.wptv.com...

The possibility of life on Mars continues to excite scientists, this time because of glass sand discovered on the Red Planet.

Researchers say the newly discovered glass dune fields may lead to chemically rich water that would be ideal for supporting life on Mars. They say the dunes are spread across almost a third of the planet, and were likely formed because of interactions between magma and ice or water.

The researchers say such interactions could create the perfect environments for microbial life.

If these glass dunes are a perfect environment for microbial life, and almost a third of the planet is covered in the dunes, I would guess that there is alot more possibility for life on Mars than we can imagine. This is just another finding that supports the idea that life could be anywhere, all you have to do is keep looking for it.

"The only way to create an extensive glassy deposit like that is through explosive volcanism," Briony Horgan, a scientist at Arizona State University involved in the research, told Astrobiology Magazine . "This is the first direct evidence on Mars for explosive volcanism on a planetary scale."

The finding came from research into possible interactions of lava flows and floods of water in the Elysium volcanic province of Mars, according to a news release from ASU.

edit on 4-5-2012 by isyeye because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 09:45 AM
link   
Moons covered in glass too....fasinating, thank you!

This thread won't gain attention because there's no mention of inpediment doom! Lol

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 10:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Sinny

Originally posted by Sinny
Moons covered in glass too....fasinating, thank you!

This thread won't gain attention because there's no mention of inpediment doom! Lol

Oh yeah...I forgot to mention that the glass dunes were sending out alien death rays that will reach earth at any second.

The only way to stop them is to flag this thread.

Ok...not really...

+7 more 
posted on May, 4 2012 @ 10:19 AM
link   
Glass dunes? Covering a freaking third of the planet? The report said they are on average 30 meters wide, how the hell is this the first time we're hearing of this?

There are already reports of a team of scientists reviewing the evidence from the Viking 1 probe in 1976 that say they have already proven that there is life on Mars. Viking probe, 1976

So, I find most of these "announcements" are well known information that NASA and their ilk have been hiding from us for many years.

NASA: Never A Straight Answer

Namaste

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 10:25 AM
link   
Mar = War = Atomic Bomb

1/3 of planet WOW must of been some fight
Quess we are next

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 10:27 AM
link   
Glass dunes,,,
Sounds like mars was hit with a solar blast and melted the sand..
we could be next
(Doom Mentioned)
edit on 4-5-2012 by Lil Drummerboy because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 10:29 AM
link   
reply to post by CrimsonNova

That's exactly what caught my attention about this story. I find it hard to believe that one-third of the planet is covered in these glass dunes, and they are just now realizing it. Considering their size, I find it highly unlikely. You would think that this is something that they would have been able to figure out quite a long time ago, but I'm far from an expert when it comes to these subjects. Hopefully some fellow ATSers can shed some light on this discovery.
edit on 4-5-2012 by isyeye because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Death rays you say! Sweet jesus! I'm flagging this right now to get the word out.

"hey bubba!"

"Yeah?"

"Put down the coors and get to the dooms day preper bunker!. . . And grab welma too, tell her to grab her teeth we aint going back outside!"

"OK pa!"

Anyways. this is actually facinating! I figured that there might be some glass on mars because of vulcanism but a third of the planet! thats awesome. imagine the forces at work to create that. There has got to be life there in some form or another. Also, I still beleieve that we have already found microbial life previously there. why they (the scientific community) redacted their statements on the previous discoveries confounds me.

But awesome thread man. hope it gets the attention it deserves.

Flagging now

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 11:13 AM
link   
reply to post by isyeye

been doing some digging and catching up on the research of the late David Flynn...His stuff is AMAZING...it can really help people understand the bible and it's connection to Mars and the moon ET's etc. Really great stuff.

+8 more 
posted on May, 4 2012 @ 11:15 AM
link   
The dunes are not made of glass. They have a high percentage of glass particles (along with other stuff).

The article has it backwards, the dunes do not lead to chemically rich water. The glass particles do not provide a perfect environment for microbial life. The conditions under which they formed (something like 2 billion years ago) indicate that there may have been liquid water available at the time (lava + water = "chemically rich water"). In other words, at the time the glass was formed conditions may have been good for the existence of life.

Volcanoes in Iceland erupt underneath glaciers, and the interactions between water from the glaciers and lava from the volcanoes create incredibly explosive eruptions. The lava fragments, and transforms into particles of glass. Huge sand dunes and sand plain fields form that consist of 50 to 70 percent glass. Horgan and Bell hypothesize that the same process occurred during periods of volcanism on Mars.

asunews.asu.edu...

edit on 5/4/2012 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by CrimsonNova
Glass dunes? Covering a freaking third of the planet? The report said they are on average 30 meters wide, how the hell is this the first time we're hearing of this?

There are already reports of a team of scientists reviewing the evidence from the Viking 1 probe in 1976 that say they have already proven that there is life on Mars. Viking probe, 1976

So, I find most of these "announcements" are well known information that NASA and their ilk have been hiding from us for many years.

Namaste

Maybe you should read whats said and drop the NASA cliche

The possibility of life on Mars continues to excite scientists, this time because of glass sand discovered on the Red Planet.

Researchers say the newly discovered glass dune fields may lead to chemically rich water that would be ideal for supporting life on Mars. They say the dunes are spread across almost a third of the planet, and were likely formed because of interactions between magma and ice or water.

The researchers say such interactions could create the perfect environments for microbial life.

Bold and underlined you obviously missed it

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
The dunes are not made of glass. They have a high percentage of glass particles (along with other stuff).

The article has it backwards, the dunes do not lead to chemically rich water. The glass particles do not provide a perfect environment for microbial life. The conditions under which they formed (something like 2 billion years ago) indicate that there may have been liquid water available at the time (lava + water = "chemically rich water"). In other words, at the time the glass was formed conditions may have been good for the existence of life.

Volcanoes in Iceland erupt underneath glaciers, and the interactions between water from the glaciers and lava from the volcanoes create incredibly explosive eruptions. The lava fragments, and transforms into particles of glass. Huge sand dunes and sand plain fields form that consist of 50 to 70 percent glass. Horgan and Bell hypothesize that the same process occurred during periods of volcanism on Mars.

asunews.asu.edu...

Thanks for a little clarification Phage. So this discovery basically means that considering that a third of Mars is covered in these dunes there was most likely a very large amount of water on Mars at the time the glass in the dunes was formed, and doesn't really mean that their existence today increases the chances for life to be found now....Is that correct?

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by CrimsonNova

Namaste

It's not like people didn't know the sand dunes existed; they knew the dunes were there. They just didn't know until now what kind of sand they were made from.

The sand that makes up a large part of these dunes was only recently hypothesized to be glassy particles of sand that may have been created by explosive volcanism.

Furthermore, they are saying that when these glassy particles were created billions of years ago was potentially a time that was conducive to life, due to the idea of volcanism and flowing water being present at the same time.

edit on 5/4/2012 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 11:35 AM
link   
reply to post by isyeye

It's become quite well accepted that large areas of Mars' surface were covered with liquid water in the past. The importance of this discovery in relationship to the existence of life is really twofold. Volcanism combined with water can help produce that "primordial soup" which could lead to the formation of life. The characteristics of the weathering of the particles indicate that they were exposed to large amounts of liquid water, possibly more recently (within 2 billion years) than other evidence has indicated.

Both factors would increase the possibility that life may have begun and lasted (at least for a while) on Mars.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 11:48 AM
link   
The kinds of energy required to create such vast quantity of glass even in particle form, must indicate some pretty cataclysmic conditions....
Perhaps the" Mars was struck by a huge asteriod "theory may have a boost.....?
A good reason for the massive vulcansim and also the huge boil off of the oceans...
A long time back Mars may have been the cradle of even our civilisation......oops getting a bit off here.....

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by isyeye...So this discovery basically means that considering that a third of Mars is covered in these dunes there was most likely a very large amount of water on Mars at the time the glass in the dunes was formed...

There are other signs on Mars that indicate the one-time presence of large amounts of water.

The new rover that is currently en route to Mars (scheduled to arrive August 5th/6th) will be studying a feature on Mars known as 'Gale Crater' that is thought to have once been a large lake. Because of the presence of clay, and the fact that clay is only formed in neutral (non-acidic) water, it is thought that billions of years ago, conditions at this area of Mars could have been something like the conditions on Earth that led to the creation of life.

Scientists hope to find signs of organic compounds preserved in the clay. Also, there is a mountain in the crater that may offer NASA a clear look at billions of years worth of rock strata that could help tell the environmental history of Mars.

I don't want to go too off-topic in this thread, so you can find out more about Gale Crater in a thread I made here:
Mars Rover Curiosity's Destination: Gale Crater

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Very interesting!
Definitely seems to fit in with the "Thunderbolts of the Gods" theory. I always felt that Mars was once an inhabited world that was hit with something big!

www.thunderbolts.info...
edit on 4-5-2012 by bastet11 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 05:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Always a wealth of information Phage. Thank you.

It's always good to know where our planet fits in with the grand scheme of everything else around it.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 06:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Nice post. I hadn't read the link, but I was thinking the glass dunes meant that life presently there would have an easier time. Your post corrected me and I thank you.

I bet Mars is very fun for geologists or people of that ilk. It's like a sandbox.
edit on 4-5-2012 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 06:11 PM
link   
reply to post by jonnywhite

I bet Mars is very fun for geologists or people of that ilk. (volcanologists?)

Yup.
It's a very strange place. A lot of processes similar to those on Earth but a lot of very different ones.
I thing the correct term for a Mars geologist would be aerologist.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join