It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What's the big deal about Polygamy in the West? Our South African President married his 4th wife.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 09:18 AM
link   
Our South African President Jacob Zuma married his fourth current wife (although he had six marriages so far) around the 21st of April 2012.
www.dailymail.co.uk...

A lot of people are so critical and sarcastic about that and moan about the possible extra burden on the tax-payer, but for a 70-year-old he seems as fit as a fiddle, and I wonder sometimes whether we should not be proud of this.

What's the big deal about polygamy in the USA anyway?
I've been watching a program on some fundamentalist Mormon guy and his wives called Sister Wives for weeks, and they seem like nice and functional people that have faced a lot of discrimination.

I obviously still note a lot of anti-gay and heterosexist stuff on ATS, but isn't that the very climax of heterosexuality?
If reproduction is the key to the Bible then surely our President follows in the footsteps of King David, and non-polygamist traditions are not Biblical or traditional family values at all.

So the Christian fundamentalists want heterosexuality and reproduction, but they also don't want the form of marriage that brings this to its highest levels?
So they want heterosexuality but not really?

There's no verse that forbids polygamy.
There are only verses about women who marry and are not virgins (which according to a literal reading fundamentalists should put to death), and Jesus saying that anyone who marries a divorced woman is living in perpetual adultery.
Many of the European tribes were baptized as polygamists, and it wasn't an issue at all initially.

So why does the Western world preach heterosexuality, and yet it has this issue with polygamy?
Why is the gay minority always seen as the scape-goat for non-reproduction?
The Western heterosexuals are to blame for non-reproduction!
They have become lazy and imagine themselves as monks, instead of taking many wives.

edit on 4-5-2012 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 09:50 AM
link   
Personally, I have no problem with the idea of polygamy. I wish to allow the FLDS members, and others, to exercise their religious beliefs.

What I do have a problem with is when the practice of polygamy impedes personal rights, such as forcing or assigning women to marry certain men that they do not choose to, as happens often in FLDS, and the abuse of children as it pertains to polygamy.

If a man and a woman choose to enter into a polygamous relationship, and add sister wives to their fold, I say go for it, and have problem.

There is a fine line there.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 10:09 AM
link   

What I do have a problem with is when the practice of polygamy impedes personal rights, such as forcing or assigning women to marry certain men that they do not choose to, as happens often in FLDS, and the abuse of children as it pertains to polygamy.

Yep, basically, these other practices are so entwined with polygamy in the West, that they have become synonymous with it.

Although personally, I don't get it. Even one is a handful...two, and while fun, certainly complicates things..any more? That's just nuts (to me)...

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 10:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok

Yep, basically, these other practices are so entwined with polygamy in the West, that they have become synonymous with it.

Exactly. That is why shows like Big Love and Sister Wives actually are popular. They showcase the positive aspects of something that was otherwise an unknown to most people.

Although personally, I don't get it. Even one is a handful...two, and while fun, certainly complicates things..any more? That's just nuts (to me)...

Again hit the nail right on the head. Most guys I know go crazy just trying to keep one wife happy (including myself) I know I couldnt handle any more.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Here are some views from SA (I guess Cape Town) when he married wife number 5:

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 02:02 PM
link   
In countries that practice polygamy often, that's usually the deal, maintaining and supporting SEPARATE families.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 02:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

Traditionally in SA the richer men in black culture form a homestead, and each wife gets a hut or house in the homestead according to her status.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by youdidntseeme

Yes!

I actually support polygamy and feel it is more natural then monogamy.

Mormons should have been allowed to practice polygamy via religious freedom.

It was the Christian Conservatives that forced monogamy.

Also Mormon women had the right to vote - - which was taken away from them by the US government in conditions for Utah to become a state.

join