It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sierra Nevada Mountain Range Rises Rapidly

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 07:53 AM
link   
source www.livescience.com...

Possibly contributing to the rapid uplift is the tectonic extension in Nevada and a response to flow in the mantle. Seismologists indicate the mountain range may have risen when a fragment of lower plate peeled off the bottom of the lithosphere allowing the "speedy" uplift, like a ship that has lost its keel. In comparison, other ranges, such as the Alps or Andes, are being formed in an entirely different process caused by contraction as two plates collide.

The rise by itself is not as interesting as the possible cause. Probably nothing for urgent concern but then, being unique, who really knows.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 08:05 AM
link   
reply to post by oghamxx

Please give more data in the initial post. How much of a rise? How rapidly? Things like that would help clarify what the thread concerns. Thanks.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 08:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aleister
reply to post by oghamxx

Please give more data in the initial post. How much of a rise? How rapidly? Things like that would help clarify what the thread concerns. Thanks.

The first sentence in the linked article says:

1 to 2 millimeters per year. That’s roughly a half-inch every 10 years.

That's pretty fast.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 08:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Iamonlyhuman

Thanks (I know the page is linked but it's good to get the data into the first few posts so people know what they're dealing with). Now the question is if that rise is fast, or around normal for the specific mountain range. I've only seen them when I've been to Vegas, and am surprised how high they are considering how long the snowcover stays on some of the peaks.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 10:52 PM
link   
I am not really sure if that includes the three sisters volcanoes but the rise in the surrounding country there is
a matter for concern....if there is lava building up underneath them....

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 10:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Aleister

I agree. The more information and opinions from the OP the better. We can all click on links to get our News...
Its you the OP that gives us all the info...from both sides. Give us food for thought. Tell us how you feel. No one should rely on just one opinion...unless its from,the smartest man in the universe and even then...

Anyways...just wanted to say...good point!

top topics

join