It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Has God ever really answered your prayers ?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 07:55 AM
link   
reply to post by humphreysjim

As a believer in our Creator, i support science, too.

To know under these many scientific tests that has been done with prayer, how many of these people had the faith that it will be answered, actually had the faith that it HAS been answered.

I have said many prayers and most times i found nothing to be answered, but my faith was weak and doubt surrounded me. If one asks and believe it is, it is answered.

It is not something i can prove to science as i cannot prove my faith. It is spiritual, not of flesh.

But, i am not good in debates, so i will be wiped off this debate in one go. Still, i know that i am being answered when i truly am in a deep meditative state with our Creator.

When i talk to God they call it prayer, when He talks back they say i am crazy. So be it.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 07:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by worldwatcher

to prove or disprove, science would have to test every religion, every known prayer, every ritual ever known to man to figure that one out imo. Maybe God has silly rules before he/she answers prayers, maybe you had to take a shower, wear white and say the prayer X amount of times before he listens???

True, but why give such outlandish ideas more respect than say, leprechauns? If I came on here and said leprechauns were not real, and scientific tests which should be able to detect them showed they were not present, would you dictate to me that we just need more and better tests, and in the mean time we should treat leprechaun belief as a reasonable, and sane thing? Maybe teach the existence of leprechauns to our children, and open churches of worship?

Hey, maybe humans can fly unaided, and all we need to do is say the right mantra to ourselves as we jump from a window. The possibilities are endless when you reason like a fool.

How about we just test, say, Christianity, and Islam? Quite simple, the Bible tells us God answers prayers if we ask sincerely. So, why when we test that notion and show it false, do we still treat the Bible as a book of facts, and its God as a reality? This is insanity, we need to grow up.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 07:59 AM
link   
God just answered my prayer a few weeks ago, within a couple days of praying!

Been unemployed for 2 years, and searching for work. Sat and had a long talk with God,and the next day a job landed literally on my door step.

Can't get much better than that.

But I don't ask for much, and only when it comes to the point where I cannot seem to do it myself.
I found a long time ago that God helps those who help themselves.

As someone said, just know that your prayer was heard, and it will be. But also remember that what you want and what you need are often two different things. Be careful what you ask for because you just might get it.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 08:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by KaelemJames

As a believer in our Creator, i support science, too.

To know under these many scientific tests that has been done with prayer, how many of these people had the faith that it will be answered, actually had the faith that it HAS been answered.

I have said many prayers and most times i found nothing to be answered, but my faith was weak and doubt surrounded me. If one asks and believe it is, it is answered.

You are contradicting yourself here. You say with complete confidence that "If one asks and believe it is, it is answered.", and yet when you pray you often have weak faith and doubt.

Why the discrepancy? You seem so confident in your statement but you show your true colours in the lack of conviction you display when you pray.

Answer me this. If all one needs to do is ask for something, believe and it will be answered, why are so many starving and dying of diseases like cancer? Has not one person in all of history managed to pray for the eradication of these things with conviction? How can that be?

No, I don't think you mean that if we pray for cancer to be gone with belief it will be, I think you know that is not the case.

I wonder if you only become aware of your lack of conviction once the prayer has not come to be answered. I suspect so, this is ad-hoc rationalizing.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 08:08 AM
link   

who said leprechauns don't exist?
remember those pigmy bones found on some island a few years ago that showed that an entire tribe of "little people" once existed?

I think the issue is we get caught up in trying to put a label on things and use words to describe things that perhaps can't be described or explained. I understand why we do it and your point of debate, but science itself has shown that mind over matter sometimes works and miracles do exist, and things are still unexplained. Prayer is one of those things... we ask, we demand, we want immediate results, but the universe and God(s) has never said that if you pray sincerely he will grant it immediately.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 08:09 AM
link   
I think the most important question might be:

What kind of God only answers prayers when the person asking has absolute conviction, belief, and faith?

Is that supposed to be a display of morality, justice, what?

An even better question:

What kind of God knows what is good, and knows what a person wants, and yet requires them to make the request in person anyway, so he can alter the entire Universe around his single request?

If you pray and God answers your prayer, does that mean he deviates from his "Plan"?

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 08:11 AM
link   
I think Coincidence and Probability answered most peoples' players than a God ever did.

I wonder if i say, if i win lottery today, ill give 90% of my winnings to charity, would god make it so? i'm trying to help the charity

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 08:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by worldwatcher

I think the issue is we get caught up in trying to put a label on things and use words to describe things that perhaps can't be described or explained.

Nothing we have discussed here falls into that category. I have not discussed what God is, simply whether he answers requests or not. There is nothing in that that cannot be adequately debated using our existing language.

Originally posted by worldwatcherI understand why we do it and your point of debate, but science itself has shown that mind over matter sometimes works and miracles do exist, and things are still unexplained.

Many things are unexplained, but no miracles have been conclusively proved. Not a miracle that could not be easily incorporated into known science, anyway. As for mind over matter, that has not been proved conclusively, using good science, although some would have you believe otherwise.

Originally posted by worldwatcherPrayer is one of those things... we ask, we demand, we want immediate results, but the universe and God(s) has never said that if you pray sincerely he will grant it immediately.

We're talking about God, not the Universe, and I suspect most here are discussing the Christian version of said God, and as far as I can tell, the Bible is quite specific about what prayer will and will not achieve. Specific, and demonstrably incorrect.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 08:19 AM
link   
Yes. Absolutely without a doubt. There were a few incidents in my life that the odds were a million to one against me, somehow I came out of them and in a such way that there was no mistake, something intervened or it was a real "miracle" of chance. The first one I dismissed, the second removed most of my doubt, the third time solidified my belief. The more I look back on it, the more I realize just how amazing those were.

But let me clarify a few things. I have several posts myself that challenge religion, the bible and the definition of "God".
I don't believe in any of them the way they are defined through most religions.

I believe we are all "God" in a sense, that we all also have "fragments" of ourselves or "spirits" that do indeed influence our lives in ways we may or may not recognize. Belief is not required, nor is it punished or necessarily rewarded, but praying may just have an impact, just as studies have shown that group prayer produces actual results (just Google it), now I'm not convinced that isn't just a separate phenomenon that we are simply labeling "the power of prayer"

I think the Ancient Alien series makes a valid point in so many ways, that we simply label all things that seem beyond us as from "God", when it's just SEEMS that way at the time. But SOMETHING created the first things eons ago, that had to be intelligent, that force or power is what I call "God". I feel we've all experienced a spiritual "big bang" and are trying to make our way back to the source, but that's just my own belief, and it wouldn't disappoint me if things were different.

As to the "why do bad things happen to good people?" or "the evil rich get richer" or "God doesn't answer my prayers" , my belief is that we're here to experience certain things, it would defeat the purpose if everyone got what they wanted or even avoided what they came here for in the first place. As I mentioned before, it seems possible to have some influence over some things and certain times, just not in the way we really want.

With age, comes experience and hopefully a little wisdom, and the more you have to draw from the more your view on these things change, just remember to enjoy the ride once in a while and to be your own person.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 08:28 AM
link   
My answer to the title of this thread:

Nope. Those looking for hand-outs may be disappointed. Instead, look around and be an active agent of change.

...Or sit on your stern with hands in the air patiently waiting.

Your choice.

ThatGuy45

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 08:30 AM
link   
I asked to be a soldier and an artist,The VA is putting me through art school as we speak.Of the myriad acts of out right lunacy and felonious behavior I have done,I am sick ,but I have never been incarcerated.I had help to get this far in life.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 08:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by LastProphet527
Why is it that 100% of all humans’ prayers go unanswered every second of every body’s life here on earth, why?

Why is it that threads like these are 100% false and misleading? (See, I can pull statistics out of my ass too.)

But to answer your question about prayers - Yes, yes he has. And trust me, the situation I was in required nothing less of a miracle to get me out of. That's all I have to say.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 08:35 AM
link   
Yes I have received multiple answers to my prayers. Everyone thinks prayers being answered as the wrong way!

You can't ask God to let you win the lottery or become an overnight millionare, and when that doesn't happen knock god for not answering! God will give you a bunch of different opportunities to make this happen, but you have to acknowledge these opportunities when they arise. (that is god answering your prayers, but making you do the work)

How many times have people's prayers been answered? People that pray, and by pray I don't mean, god make me rich.....That is not a prayer. You have to speak to god with all of your heart and with conviction. You have to let god know that you are serious and willing to make the change for whatever you are praying for.

This has to be 100% from the inner you and be convincing to yourself you mean what you are asking, and god will answer. You are all his children, and no matter how long you have shunned the mighty lord, your prayers will always be answered if you really mean what you are saying to the almighty.

God bless to all.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 08:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by humphreysjim

You are contradicting yourself here. You say with complete confidence that "If one asks and believe it is, it is answered.", and yet when you pray you often have weak faith and doubt.

Not contradicting myself. Some days one feels weaker than other days, spiritually and emotionally. I was also referring to the past when i had my doubts. I have over the last couple of months trained myself to go into prayer/meditation positively and more spiritual.

Why the discrepancy? You seem so confident in your statement but you show your true colours in the lack of conviction you display when you pray.

As i said above, one can be weaker at times. One day you are up and about, other days you see the cup half empty. And, as i said, i was referring to the past, not the present. I, too have now realized when i start to doubt and the negativity sets in that I am alert. When they arise within me i will pray straight away. I see these as "attacks" from a spiritual side, to demoralize and bring one down to morbidity and depression, and so lead you away from faith.

Answer me this. If all one needs to do is ask for something, believe and it will be answered, why are so many starving and dying of diseases like cancer? Has not one person in all of history managed to pray for the eradication of these things with conviction? How can that be?

How do you know it is not happening? Each to themselves. Not everyone believes in God, nor has faith that the cancer or whatever disease/illness will be gone. I can say that this is the reason my faith has become stronger, i have overcome a disease with prayer. That is all i will say.

No, I don't think you mean that if we pray for cancer to be gone with belief it will be, I think you know that is not the case.

To me it is the case.

I wonder if you only become aware of your lack of conviction once the prayer has not come to be answered. I suspect so, this is ad-hoc rationalizing.

No, not at all. It is ones faith when praying that needs to be strong. I, as others whom pray/meditate will tell you that at times in meditation it is as if you are under attack, and so your faith stumbles, doubt sets in. it is a condition of the flesh and we need to overcome that with our mind, soul & spirit. That is why we pray again & again, and our faith grows, and with that, it is answered. Faith is something we need to work on, day in, day out. Even when we are on top of the world, we can be thrown off in a moment. That is why we learn to stay awake, alert to all that will try and oppress us. It is a spiritual war. If you gonna fight, your fists ain't gonna help you.

Best regards.

edit on 09/02/2012 by KaelemJames because: spelling

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 08:48 AM
link   
reply to post by 0mage

Very well put ...We do find ourselves guilty of praying amiss ,and do come to realize our understanding about prayer needs fixing ..and that is probably the best thing and the first thing we should pray about ...thank you for that post ..peace

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 08:51 AM
link   
Yes He answers my prayers. He has saved my butt when all hope was lost more than once. I have zero doubt that there is a God who loves me and helps me. I have had it proven to me time and time again. He makes things possible when they are not.

You can't test prayer because it doesn't work that way. It is a personal thing. You can test it, but not in a lab or under controlled conditions. It is tailored to each person according to their faith and purpose in life. Some people God ignores and doesn't like. In fact, He doesn't like most people. But those He does like get special attention and they get their prayers answered.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 08:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by KaelemJamesAs i said above, one can be weaker at times. One day you are up and about, other days you see the cup half empty. And, as i said, i was referring to the past, not the present. I, too have now realized when i start to doubt and the negativity sets in that I am alert. When they arise within me i will pray straight away. I see these as "attacks" from a spiritual side, to demoralize and bring one down to morbidity and depression, and so lead you away from faith.

How do you know it is not happening? Each to themselves. Not everyone believes in God, nor has faith that the cancer or whatever disease/illness will be gone. I can say that this is the reason my faith has become stronger, i have overcome a disease with prayer. That is all i will say.

I wonder how you are so sure prayer caused you to overcome your disease?

It's interesting how many people have diseases like cancer, and they pray for healing, and they recover and beat the disease. And all it took was a little prayer, two dozen rounds of chemotherapy, the best medication known to man, and amazingly skilled doctors and teams of nurses!

I hope you get my point.

People here are sayings things like, I got the job I wanted, I got better from my illness, and so on. Guess what? Atheists get the jobs they want sometimes too, and they also get better from illness.

While it is heartwarming (truly) that you got better from your illness, it is not really interesting to the prayer debate without evidence of some kind that prayer was responsible for your healing. Would you have got better without prayer? They say positive thinking can do wonders for illness, maybe the will to heal come from within yourself, and had nothing to do with an external force, or being, in which case it would be disingenuous to say prayer fixed you.

How are we to differentiate?

Now, you say:

1) God always answers if you pray with conviction and sincerity, and
2) Following 1, it's clear that if someone were to have prayed with conviction and sincerity for all of cancer to be eradicated within a short time span, that would be so

Since cancer is still with us, either no one has prayed for its eradication, or point 1 is false.

It is quite clear many have prayed for this, some with real conviction and sincerity, therefore it is undeniable that 1 is false. This does not disprove God, but it sheds major doubt on the words of the Bible.

I am interested in how you reconcile that.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 09:07 AM
link   
reply to post by LastProphet527

OK I wasn't really praying actually - and I don't know who or what it was directed at! But once when out with the dog and feeling very lonely and without a fella in my life I 'sent out a call' and asked 'whatever/whoever' to help and within 10 minutes of getting home the phone rang and it was the ex from Australia who hadn't been in contact for years. Coincidence? Possibly. And once when I was about 11, I asked God to send a sign that he was real. Being a cheeky little so and so, I was quite specific about the sign - 'the roof covered in birds'. When I got home I was amazed to see our roof, the only roof in the street, covered edge to edge with a huge flock of starlings. Even then, I tried to tell myself it was coincidence. Maybe it was. Who knows...

So far as unanswered prayers go and let's face it, there is an awful lot of suffering in the world, the stock religious reply is either that it is all past of God's mysterious purpose or that misery is man made and God doesn't intervene. While those who believe in reincarnation and karma will say that we came back to learn a specific lesson. With regard to babies dying they say that souls would have come back to teach the parents....
There really isn't any 'proof' one way or another IMO.
edit on 4-5-2012 by starchild10 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 09:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by syrinx2112
reply to post by LastProphet527

[Quote] Then I think: Why would God invite a stranger into his house even if he has been good?

Then I think some more: Would I invite a person that I don't know into my house if he/she knocked on my front door and said. Hello, my name is Billy and I've been a good person and I'm going to live in your home. My response would be: Billy I'm glad you've been a good person, but I don't know you. We don't have a relationship.

Don't you think that thinking like this is almost archaic? Even Canadians will invite a good person in their home and get to know them if they havn't. Don't you think denying a good person who assumes they would be allowed in is cruel? Sounds like God loves you until you knock without calling first, then he's a Dick.
edit on 4-5-2012 by juveous because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 10:00 AM
link   
I have no idea if God Himself has answered my prayers ...
I do know that I have gotten answers to some prayers through others ...
That's why I believe in the 'communion of saints' ...
I hear from them and get things done through them for sure.
(Specifically asking Mary the mother of Jesus)
God Himself? I don't know.

(Unless you consider that any power those (dead) people have comes from God
and then THROUGH them to answer my prayer. then maybe I can say 'yes')

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join