It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It's still there- Venus with dark shadow or storm on May 3, 2012

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 10:08 PM
link   
This is no better than all of those fuzzy Big Foot videos. The only main difference is that instead of a human-sized creature you're zooming in on a planet with what I can assume to be some type of camera/camcorder. It is out of focus, distorted and shaky. This "evidence" is quite simply put to an unacceptable standard. I await more detailed data.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 10:09 PM
link   
Huh. Could it be a storm? If it is that's a REALLY BIG storm, so it's probably not a storm. I have a telescope in my attic but it's nowhere near top of the line. Who knows maybe I'll give it a shot. Seems interesting enough, whatever it is...

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 10:24 PM
link   
Get your focus right please.
If you can get Venus that big with your camera, i wonder why we have those massive telescopes pointing at it.
This is just like those videos of blinking ufos, but in fact its just sirius out of focus.
To see venus that big you will need +200x magnification.
edit on 4-5-2012 by intergalactic fire because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 10:41 PM
link   
reply to post by realeyes

This is exactly what I saw with my 12 inch orion reflector the other night. My husband and I were puzzled. Does Venus have eclipses?

I'm just learning how to use it. Can someone tell me what is the best strongest lens I can buy?

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 10:43 PM
link   
I was thinking it had something to do with Venus' position.....it will be crossing the sun next week for us to view right?
Sorry...it's next month. Then not again for 100 years.

Nah...I think it is just because it is out of focus....

edit on 4-5-2012 by timetothink because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 11:17 PM
link   
Well folks I have image Venus around two and half months ago with my equipment, this is how it looks close to your eyes, you can see it was on one of his phases:

This was taken with a Celestron 6SE scope with a nextimagen solar system camera ( a modefied webcam to work with telescopes). Was processed with a program call Registax (thas what we amateur atronomers use for processing video to make it a photo for planets only)

You can see thats this guys video its out of focus in the first place and this exagerates the problems in the optics of the camera, second my friend at least buy a tripod if you want to take steady video (this will help a bit).

edit on 4-5-2012 by AlexDJ because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 11:24 PM
link   
Observed Venus a couple/few hours ago through both a 14" Celestron mak-cass and a 20" custom made mak-cass, and saw nothing but crescent.

Imaging equipment unavailable tonight but will get some shots in the next couple days for those who don't believe me. lol

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 11:46 PM
link   
SOME people around here should be ashamed of themselves !!!

Lets start from the beginning.... Why were you filming what you're telling us is Venus? The reason I ask is that there is Nooooooooooooooooo way you saw a shadow of any shape on the planet with the naked eye !! So I ask again, why did you start to film what is basically a very bright star looking object????

Lets get this bit of video into context.... I look at the moon all the time which is easily 100x bigger than Venus in the sky, and big enough to see shadows created by the different reflective properties of the surface dust. Venus by comparison looks like a bright star. Just a point of light.

SO WHY WERE YOU FILMING IT??

I call total waste of time ! You do NOT look at Venus and think to yourself, " OMFG I need to grab my camera cos there's a crescent shaped shadow across Venus" !!

edit on 4-5-2012 by Wolfhammer because: Typo

edit on 4-5-2012 by Wolfhammer because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 11:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Ahmose

You said :
"Just soo used to people around here being entirely uneducated in regards to astronomy and claiming "weird" things that are not really weird at all, I guess ive become cynical and desensitized to it all. lol "

Isn't 1 of the points of ATS is to ask questions? Educate yourself w/ the facts at hand...rely on fellow ATS'ers back-grounds and experience to help us understand what we're seeing in this case for example?

The OP found this shadow strange....they asked the question's they needed to understand what they're seeing.

You never know...you might learn something Un- expected. How does one become a Professional Astronomer like you with- out being excited and asking questions. You act as if a personal crime has been done against you.

You take the excitement out of it for anyone w/ interest by treating them less then you are. Is it a crime to have less of an IQ such as yourself?

I remember some stories in history of huge science discoveries from people that were not educated in the field to your satisfaction, but trying to self educate by simply being interested and excited at what they had saw and was able to document.

Give people a break....let them be excited and ask questions...that's how people learn...that and a patient kind heart.

edit on 4-5-2012 by tracehd1 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 12:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by tracehd1
reply to post by Ahmose

You said :
"Just soo used to people around here being entirely uneducated in regards to astronomy and claiming "weird" things that are not really weird at all, I guess ive become cynical and desensitized to it all. lol "

Isn't 1 of the points of ATS is to ask questions? Educate yourself w/ the facts at hand...rely on fellow ATS'ers back-grounds and experience to help us understand what we're seeing in this case for example?

The OP found this shadow strange....they asked the question's they needed to understand what they're seeing.

You never know...you might learn something Un- expected. How does one become a Professional Astronomer like you with- out being excited and asking questions. You act as if a personal crime has been done against you.

You take the excitement out of it for anyone w/ interest by treating them less then you are. Is it a crime to have less of an IQ such as yourself?

I remember some stories in history of huge science discoveries from people that were not educated in the field to your satisfaction, but trying to self educate by simply being interested and excited at what they had saw and was able to document.

Give people a break....let them be excited and ask questions...that's how people learn...that and a patient kind heart.

edit on 4-5-2012 by tracehd1 because: (no reason given)

Hi tracehd,

I think you misunderstood me, which is understandable; as I don't always get my thoughts/feelings into words quite the way I want.

I was talking about posts where people claim things like "THE MOON FLIPPED UPSIDE DOWN", and "THAT CANNOT BE VENUS" , etc.. and then claim they are 100% positive they are correct and then get mad and tell off anyone who states otherwise.

Im all for curiosity , questioning, the unexpected/unknown, and many things the majority of people laugh at and call stupid or nuts. I am the "loony" one at the observatory, and proud of it. lol

I'd like to further explain, but I do need to sleep right now.
But I'll be glad to chat further and attempt to explain myself/thoughts tomorrow, if you so wish.

I actually do have a very patient and kind heart.
Perhaps one day you'll be able to see it.
It's not always the easiest to show, but I promise, I do.

Maybe we can discuss further tomorrow,
My apologies if I sounded like a dick, it was not my intention at all.

Have a good night and pleasant dreams.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 04:03 AM
link   
Explain this. Does not look like storm clouds or dust to me.

edit on 5-5-2012 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 06:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Manhater
Explain this. Does not look like storm clouds or dust to me.

Looks like screwed up optics. That is one ugly bokeh.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 06:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by realeyes
I was taking some photos earlier and got a few snaps of Venus, definitely crescent shaped and not lens flare or bokeh. I have a whole series of these.

Yes, that's a great photo of Venus in-focus, not a bokeh as seen above.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 07:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thebel
I say its just artifact, could be compression error or something.

Venus doesn't have storms, since wind needs temperature difference. Venus doesn't have temperature differences since it acts like greenhouse. There is only slight temperature difference on night and day side.

Get better camera, not iPhone and use telescope with camera.
edit on 4-5-2012 by Thebel because: (no reason given)

No storms? Are you sure?

I have watched pieces regarding it's giant twin hurricanes that revolve around one of the poles due to it's rotational dynamics being mostly above the surface in it's cloudy and treacherous atmosphere from runaway greenhouse effect because the planet lacks a geo-dynamo. I mean these things are supposed to be huge... continent sized hurricanes that revolve perfectly on either side of the pole. The eyes are huge black holes.

I don't know about these other video with the shadow this size, but some of these other non-shadow videos most be showing a rather tame side of Venus if these hurricanes are real because they are clearly visible.

If these shadow videos are real then maybe it's something to do with the clouds. Maybe a storm, maybe something struck it or quite possibly it could be a cloud upset from huge volcanic activity... I mean, yeah this would be massive but Venus has Volcanoes all over it.

Sure would be interesting if we could see it with certainty. Who knows? I don't have a telescope and I haven't been able to find much reliable space imagery lately. It seems you can't even get a decent star chart without paying for it. It's hard to tell if they are hiding something or if they are just trying to make money driving people mad because less people can afford to go to the movies these days.

but no storms? storms indeed from what I have seen. Venus storms rival Jupiter's in appearance and force.
Who knows, maybe that was a hoax but I'm pretty sure it was NASA video's if that means anything.
edit on 5-5-2012 by NotAnAspie because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 07:20 AM
link   
You may find this interesting regarding storms on Venus

Magnetic storms spotted on Venus

www.nature.com...

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 07:30 AM
link   
Oh, I forgot to add. These Venus hurricanes are supposed to be permanent. Remember, it is in a runaway greenhouse effect because it's too hot. It moves too slow and can't throw off any heat. it's got no moon although they say this has nothing to do with it but I think effect it at least in some ways. Especially seeing as how it's main rotation velocity is basically just in it's atmospheric currents. If it had an ocean, a moon would effect that so I don't see how it is impossible for it to effect it's whole planetary dynamics. Because of it's lack of spin it hasn't much of a magnetosphere... hence the crazy atmosphere, heat, huge storms and volcanoes and it's main differences to earth despite similar ingredients. Physical differences.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 07:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ahmose

Originally posted by ErgoTheConfusion
reply to post by Ahmose

Please watch the video. This isn't the dark/light side phases that are being shown.

My apologies.
Just soo used to people around here being entirely uneducated in regards to astronomy and claiming "weird" things that are not really weird at all, I guess ive become cynical and desensitized to it all. lol

Watched the vid...
and I have no real explanation for what Im seeing... yet. lol

Anyway, thanks for making me watch it. lol

Will be breaking out a scope tonight to check it out up close though.. for sure.
edit on 4-5-2012 by Ahmose because: (no reason given)

So you discredited the thread and formed your own opinion on the matter without ever watching the video in the original post? What the hell is wrong with you people.. Perfect example of you eating your own words. "Just soo used to people around here being entirely uneducated."

People, please refrain from forming an opinion unless you've given the material your time. I'm amazed by this person honestly..

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 07:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by artistpoet
You may find this interesting regarding storms on Venus

Magnetic storms spotted on Venus

www.nature.com...

that is pretty interesting. I wish the pictures were actual cloud pictures rather than heat but very interesting. I wonder if the two hurricanes spun around each other so fast they become one and did something crazy. that would have been pretty cool to witness... I mean, from here.

I wish it would start spinning faster. Backwards, seeing as how it is the oddball spinning backwards in the solar system and makes me wonder if that is a good thing... maybe it isn't. If it were ever to be viable, could spinning the other way be bad? Who knows, maybe it would be good. That's too big to wrap my head around.
I'd love to see what Venus was doing up close. I wonder why it's so hard to find stuff. it's not like we haven't done twice as many missions to Venus as we have Mars making space programs main interests actually Venus by somewhat of a conspicuous long shot compared to what you normally hear about in News and tabloids which is what all mostly seem to get their hands on. It's always Mars.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 07:46 AM
link   
reply to post by NotAnAspie

Yes agreed it would be good to know if magnetic storms caused a visual difference that we could see through optics
By the way Venus spind the opposite way round to other planets including Earth of course
It is termed retrograde I think

Why Venus Spins the Wrong Way

www.scientificamerican.com...

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 08:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by artistpoet
reply to post by NotAnAspie

Yes agreed it would be good to know if magnetic storms caused a visual difference that we could see through optics
By the way Venus spind the opposite way round to other planets including Earth of course
It is termed retrograde I think

Why Venus Spins the Wrong Way

www.scientificamerican.com...

that website called it an oddball too, haha... It even looks liken a ball. It really is the oddball I guess and a great big oddball at that.

This is interesting as well. I have another theory to add just for the hell of it seeing as how I am not expert. I mean who knows really because we can't see what the core is doing. we really don't know what our own core is doing... or even understand how it works completely. So here goes another. Venus is so damn hot it's core is not only fluid but EXTREMELY fluid and even secondarily explaining it's crazy Volcanic surface. It's got a thin crust and it's feverishly hot so a lot is going on and it has crazy vibrational frequencies (I should really fact check that one because it's info i could perhaps find but I'm getting tired) so anyway...core spins one way while vibrational dynamics and perhaps even some type of unseen relationship to external magnetisms cause the crust to slowly slide in the opposite direction of the core. that would mean that it is actually spinning the right direction and this would be seen as it cools off a little and it's crust takes better hold.

But who knows, maybe the whole damn thing flipped over. that would have been a sight!

I'd love to be able to find those NASA video but can't seem to. i mean these hurricanes were crazy. they were so intense and strong that their formations were perfect. the holes were prefect black holes... not exactly perfect circles... but perfect in cloud formation...so deep and strong. It kind reminded me of yin and yang over the entire polar end of the planet. they ere very interesting videos.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join