It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ted Turner: U.S. and Israel Should Disarm to Prevent Nuclear Iran

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 05:19 AM
link   
"Pie in the sky" dreaming by Ted.
I guess he thinks Jane will come back, too?

Actually, maybe he has a hidden agenda. The ONLY way that his concept could come close to reality is if there is created a super, tough world government that could impose such restrictions and have the gonads to back it up with force (meaning a stock of nukes of their own ready to launch at a moment's notice).

Seriously, North Korea, Pakistan and a bunch of other countries large and small will give up nukes only with a lot of kicking and screaming. The US would be first in line fot a tirade and rightly so because at this time we are the world's police force for the UN (and probably will always be the principal member with troops and money).

(Sigh) Will the ETs ever land and sort out our problems for us? It seems an impossible task for mere humans.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 09:41 AM
link   
The problem is without nukes you'd see a lot more conventional warfare. And with conventional warfare, you still have some very nasty weapons that could kill just as many people as a nuke.

So I really don't see this as a viable idea.

This thing with Iran is just so much gorilla chest pounding.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 09:46 AM
link   
There will never be nuclear disarmament short of a one world government. It was a bag of worms that was opened into our universe that will never be able to be closed. That is the problem with Pandora's Box... once you open it - you have to deal with the consequences.

Would complete nuclear disarmament be a grand thing? Oh yes. We don't even need nukes anymore. I mean, we have weapons that put old nukes to shame. Which makes me shutter to think... what exactly is the capability of nuclear technology in the modern era?

Can you imagine... the Tsar Bomba was tested in 1961 by the Soviets with a 50 megaton yield. That was the largest nuclear device ever known to have been tested.

Today, an Antonov An-225 plane can deliver a 1.3 GIGATON bomb to its final destination if desired. The continental Russian SS-18 ICBM carries a payload of 37.4 megatons - 2000 times more powerful than the bombs dropped on Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

I believe many people look at nuclear weapons today with the effects of the old footage of what happened back in the 40's and during the testing in the Cold War... but the sheer reality of the destructive power of modern nuclear technology usual escapes the grasp of most peoples minds.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Israel having nukes is a big big problem.

No.1 They do not admit to having nukes in the first place.

No.2, if that tiny country gets overrun there is no telling who might get hold of them.

As for America having nukes, I think for some time now America has a policy of not striking first with nuclear weapons, although it will remain to be seen how future administrations will think about that.

As for Iran getting nukes, although they did not directly attack any of their neighbouring countries in a long time, they do not exactly come across as moderate.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join