It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Did The UK Abandon Australia??

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 07:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Freeborn
reply to post by CrimsonKapital

Some common ground.

Singapore was definately NOT the UK's greatest moment.

Yes your right, most historians claim that the collapse of the British Empire began with the Fall of Singapore. I do not know why it was surrendered so easily, even if the British did want to retreat they could of just allowed the Australians to take command of Singapore, and that may have ended the Pacific war earlier.
But alas its all history now.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 07:21 AM
link   

I was there! and there was no war. There were British and American soldiers based there

as military stations to other parts of the world. There was absolutely no disruption every

one travelled and went about their business in peace no rationing shortages or anything

that conveyed the hardship and deprevation going on else where in the world

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 07:21 AM
link   

40000 Indian soldiers were taken prisoner at Singapore.

30000 of them signed up to fight in the Indian National Army against The Allies and other's became guards at the POW camps where both British and Australian troops suffered at the hands of the Japanese.

At the height of WWII over 2500000 Indian troops were fighting against Axis forces.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 07:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Freeborn

40000 Indian soldiers were taken prisoner at Singapore.

30000 of them signed up to fight in the Indian National Army against The Allies and other's became guards at the POW camps where both British and Australian troops suffered at the hands of the Japanese.

At the height of WWII over 2500000 Indian troops were fighting against Axis forces.

en.wikipedia.org...

Yes I know that but there were also over 40,000 Indian patriots who fought for the Indian independence movement, this lead them to joining the Axis. I have also read of many accounts in New Guinea where Indian militias mutinied against their British commanders and turned sides.
However, India made a valuable ally in the second world war, no doubt. Almost 2,500 Indians were killed at Gallipoli.

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by CrimsonKapital
reply to post by eletheia

I don't consider Britain an ally, if the were an ally they would have helped us. But they chose not to, you can't hide the facts. Britain is not a loyal or courageous country, Australia is and that is our downfall.

Boo frigging hoo. What happened is all history and things are very different now, get over it and stop your pansy arse whining and stop getting at the people of today about it, it wasn't our fault was it? That bitterness will chew you up and spit you out unless you grow some balls and realise the people of today had nothing to do with it. Unless you want to track down the few pensioners that are still alive from the war? Would that satisfy you Mr Hard Done By?

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 07:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by CrimsonKapital

Originally posted by eletheia

I asked YOU the question.........You the ONLY swimmer in the water with four members

of your family floundering in the water strong currents you can't save them all.......Who do

you save first......the weakest? the strongest? the youngest? the oldest? the women?

AN IMPOSSIBLE QUANDARY??

By the same context

You = Britain

Your family = Australia, France, Canada, India, USA, etc

AN IMPOSSIBLE QUANDRY??

Its simple I'll answer it.

Well Canada wasn't under threat of invasion so we don't need to save them from "drowning"

The US wasn't considered part of the Empire Family although they weren't under invasion and nor did they need a helping hand anyway.

India ws almost neutral with half fighting the Axis and the other half fighting the allies.

France was already taken as a puppet state well before Australia came under threat.

And New Zealand was under no threat at all in the entire war.

That leaves Australia a loyal friend, where they stood as the last ally against the Japanese. Britain had the time, the resources, the labour, and the weapons to help the Australians defeat the Japanese invasion.

But did they....

No they let us drown, where no other family members were drowning they let US drown.

Did we? Are you insane?
Britain took far more of a beating in WW2 than Australia ever did.

top topics

<< 4  5  6   >>

join