It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists reveal a first in Ice Age art

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 11:53 PM
link   
Scientists reveal a first in Ice Age art
(Phys.org)

Researchers from the Smithsonian Institution and the University of Florida have announced the discovery of a bone fragment, approximately 13,000 years old, in Florida with an incised image of a mammoth or mastodon. This engraving is the oldest and only known example of Ice Age art to depict a proboscidean (the order of animals with trunks) in the Americas. The team's research is published online in the Journal of Archaeological Science.

Believed to be genuine, this rare specimen provides evidence that people living in the Americas during the last Ice Age created artistic images of the animals they hunted. The engraving is at least 13,000 years old as this is the date for the last appearance of these animals in eastern North America, and more recent Pre-Columbian people would not have seen a mammoth or mastodon to draw.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This is in addition to a new study by a University of Florida team of the bones found at Vero Beach in the early 20th C.

New study shows early North Americans lived with extinct giant beasts

(Phys.org) -- A new University of Florida study that determined the age of skeletal remains provides evidence humans reached the Western Hemisphere during the last ice age and lived alongside giant extinct mammals.

Additional news:

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 12:05 AM
link   
How awesome is that!?
Took us this long to find this, there's no telling what is out there.
Can't wait for the next discovery.
S&F

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 12:14 AM
link   
That's a very interesting find and makes one wonder where the glacial ice shelf was situated during that epoch of time.I wonder if the gigantic sloth was around then too during the same era?Maybe I should stop asking questions and research myself
....Nice post,I love learning about topics like this...s+f

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 01:07 AM
link   
How do they know its the oldest?

The dating an object from stratification? the stratification that is defined by the artifacts found at that depth? The old cyclic thing huh...

Yea well... oldest meaning... they dont actually have a clue but lets say something that makes headlines.

EDIT: Wait... "This engraving is the oldest and only known example of Ice Age art"... so its the oldest yet its also the ONLY one. I see...

Being a scientist doesnt really give them the right to think I'm completely stupid...
edit on 4-5-2012 by Outofcontrol because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 05:38 PM
link   
Were there mammoths in America? Mastodon doesn't look like mammoth at all. Mammoth has a very high shoulders compared to hips. And differently shaped tusks.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 05:55 PM
link   
When the Earth Nearly Died
Compelling Evidence of A Catastrophic World Change 9,500 BC
(c) 1995 by By D S Allan and J B Delair. 386pp.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Republished in 1997 as
"Cataclysm : Compelling Evidence of a Cosmic Catastrophe in 9500 B. C."

"Mammoths and mastodons are usually considered as animals which evolved to thrive in icy environments. Yet mammoths preserved in icy soils in Siberia have been found with temperate grasses in their stomachs. Evidence has now come to light of vast herds of mastodons being massacred by early man in North America. In the conventional chronology this would have indicated the antiquity of these proto-Indians. Now it appears that the mastodons lived in a warm equable climate and survived into comparatively recent times."

They are a little late.

new topics

top topics

join