It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is happening to the UK weather

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 02:13 AM
link   
reply to post by metalholic

I really am not sure what is causing the unusual weather , but I'm sure we are not the only ones that have noticed it .

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 03:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by dawnprince
reply to post by stumason

Depends where you are in the UK

No it doesn't . That is why it is a National average .

Lets see if you have the same opinion in a couple of weeks when we have more data for THIS May

edit on 3-5-2012 by dawnprince because: (no reason given)

Brrrr...you feel like a cold front dawnprince!

Here's my 2p worth in support of stumason....and yes I have a degree in geography which covers meteorology.
About 24 years ago I was living just outside Aberdeen. I happen to remember the date very well, my dad's birthday May 17th. The blossoms were out on the trees and for quite a few days we had been having what is termed fair weather. Well, on the 17th I woke up to find 2ft of snow had been dumped overnight...yes you read that right 2 FEET. I was snowbound and couldn't get into work the snow was up to the sills of my car. My father when I phoned to wish him a happy birthday however was in stitches. now I understand snow has been forecast for this bank holiday on high ground and far north. It's weather that's all....

However.....
I read somewhere here that since January 58 volcanoes world wide have been popping off and are still active. Now with the continuous ash, CO2 etc output of these volcanoes they will cause glitches in weather patterns that do travel world wide.

Suggestion....
PM John McLeod...hurricane Bawbag fame and I am sure he will be able to warm the cockles of your heart.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Rainbows
Jane
edit on 4-5-2012 by angelchemuel because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 10:21 AM
link   
reply to post by dawnprince

And where did I copy and paste anything, numnuts? I simply gave you the link to what is arguably one of the most respected weather centres in the world so you can find me anything that supports your argument. Simply put, you won't, because it was the media that hyped it back in April but it actually looks like towards the end of May it's going to get quite warm.

Besides, I don't have to do anything to appear intelligent mate, but I suggest you might have something to work on in that area.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by stumason

"sources"... Right..

Met Office is suddenly not good enough now?

www.metoffice.gov.uk...

Feel free to find the article on their website which claims May to be the coldest. Bottom line is that the Met would never say that until they had the facts in, it is the media latching on to, at the time, the medium range weather forecast which has changed since all the articles were published in mid April.

Just a token gesture, make of it what you will (both of yous)

Met Office in the Media: 19 April 2012
The wet weather across parts of the UK at the moment has generated comments about how wet this April as a whole may pan out in the record books. As we have said in blogs previously, it is just too early when we are still only mid month to make any assessment about how the month as a whole may compare to previous months in history.

Today the Daily Telegraph reported that the ‘the wet weather will continue to the end of this month, including floods and storms, according to the Met Office, potentially making it one of the wettest April’s on record.’ Although our outlook does suggest that the rather unsettled conditions are likely to continue through the rest of the month, we have not made any assessment on whether it is likely to be one of the wettest April’s on record.

Looking at the latest figures available, the UK has seen around 60% of its normal April rainfall, or 41.7mm up to the 15th of April. At this point of the month we would normally expect about 50% of the months rainfall so rainfall amounts so far have not been far from what you could typically expect. On average, a typical April would see 69.6 mm or rain.

The Daily Express has today run with a headline that we are expecting the ‘Coldest May for 100 Years’. This forecast has not come from the Met Office, but from an independent forecaster. Currently our 16 to 30 day forecast which takes in the first half of May says:

“The start of May looks likely to remain unsettled with a continuation of showers or longer spells of rain, although there should also be some drier and brighter interludes. Temperatures will generally be close to or slightly above the seasonal average. Later in the first week of May, conditions may turn more settled across southern England for a time, with a greater chance of some drier and sunnier weather than of late. Further north, it looks likely to stay unsettled with further rain at times, particularly across northwest England as well as northern and western parts of Scotland.”

Source:metofficenews.wordpress.com...

Copied and pasted like a pro I might add!

I live in SE Ireland and the one thing certain about our weather is its' uncertainty.
Don't fall out.

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by stumason

And where did I copy and paste anything, numnuts? I simply gave you the link to what is arguably one of the most respected weather centres in the world so you can find me anything that supports your argument. Simply put, you won't, because it was the media that hyped it back in April but it actually looks like towards the end of May it's going to get quite warm.

Besides, I don't have to do anything to appear intelligent mate, but I suggest you might have something to work on in that area.

Making personal insults will not add weight to your argument . It just makes your intelligence appear even more limited

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 04:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Mufcutcakeyumyum

Precisely what I was saying, matey. All the "wettest/coldest" May on record predictions were made around the 19th/20th April. I said that many posts back and yet you trot out an article from precisely the time I was saying as proof! Classic! Any weather prediction beyond a week is stretching the best forecaster, so well over a month in advance is just a best guess and so far, it seems to be quite off the mark.

Shock horror.. May, so far, has actually had temps and precipitation well with the norms. Nothing out of the ordinary here! By the weekend, a high pressure system is actually going to roll in, bringing sunshine and above average temps for much of the UK.

Many people might simply not remember more than a few years back, but my birthday falls in May so I tend to be very interested in what the weather is doing and I distinctly remember several birthdays being total washouts during the 1990's. Hardly shocking, it's just weather.

As for the "personal insults" that you are so upset about, maybe you should get your own house in order, seeing as it was you who began calling into question my intelligence when your argument clearly lacked substance.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join