It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What does it mean when one in seven people think the end of the world is coming?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 01:57 AM
link   
reply to post by LDragonFire

Nothing to be honest...

If the world does not end, and I dont think it will, we live on....
If the world does end, what can we do to stop it? Nothing.

Why worry about something that may or may not occur, especially when that something is nothing we could stop?

I say live life as if it will end at any moment... Worrying about something outside our control is just... depressing.

edit on 4-5-2012 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 02:05 AM
link   
reply to post by optimus primal

Are it could be the flip side of that and 6 out of 7 people are already on zanax and there therapist already have primed them to tow the party line.

I think alot of it is in the definition. Planet gone, not likely. Human race gone, not likely. Drastic departure from todays norm of living, very possible.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 04:10 AM
link   
Think about how many times the world has ended as we knew it.

The war on(of) terror, creation of the internet, fall of the soviet union, etc.

Something like the invention of the quantum computer can change/end the world as we know it.

Let's relax a bit. It doesnt have to be a cataclysm after all.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 04:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Xaphan

Jeff Spicolli (Avatar) - Ha Ha Ha. That's wicked. That's one of my all time fave films, and it's got nothing to do with Phoebe Cates removing her clothes.

Sorry completely off topic. Mods discipline me now, before the world ends !

Peace Out

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 05:26 AM
link   
Greece is starting to revert back to an agrarian society it seems like, with Spain and probably several other EU countries to follow. Japan is on the verge of bankruptcy, the U.S. isn't far behind, and it seems like we're about to head into WW3 every other week.

I'd say it means that a full 1 out of 7 people are really watching what's going on in the world.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 06:25 AM
link   
People are, in general, extremely arrogant. They falsely think they are "special", and therefore, the time they are living in must also be "special", and what could be more "special" than the end of everything?

I would imagine a poll taken at any time in history would show similar results. We as a species have always believed the sky was falling.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 06:32 AM
link   

Incredible, when intelligent common sense people get to see how many delusional people they have to deal with everyday of their lives.

Pitiful.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 08:17 AM
link   
it means that 1 in 7 people, regardless of where you live, is tuning into the collective. I don't know if the world is going to end or not, but I do know change is afoot on a mass scale.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 08:56 AM
link   

1/5 or 22% of Americans believe the end is nigh, how do you all feel about this?

Well, your thread title says 1 in 7. What does that mean to me? 1 out of every 7 people is completely insane.

The world will end some day, not today or anytime soon though. Now, civilization may be wiped out in our life time, but that's hardly the end of the world.

I really wish history channel would, you know, maybe show history shows? honestly, mayan 2012 predictions are bs, they never made end of the world predictions. Ancient aliens? Come on, how is that educational, or even "history".

If they were required to give equal time to those people who actually studied the Mayan calender, so they could explain how no predictions were made, I think that number would go down.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 08:59 AM
link   

Mayan's did not live 5000 years ago, thats b.s.

That would make them about as old as the Sumerians and older than the ancient Egyptians.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 09:10 AM
link   
Easy...it means the NWO can go thru with their plan to depopulize the world. If they don't people will be disappointed.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 09:30 AM
link   

Too bad there is no survey for a reference...
I am pretty sure that the percentage of people claiming the end is nigh is on a steady level for decades.

Much more important: The end of the week is nigh!

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by LDragonFire

It seems there are a large group of people worldwide that foresee a end of the world as we know it in our lifetime and some see it happening this year.

The comments from this opinion piece seem to blame this thinking on the religious.

1/5 or 22% of Americans believe the end is nigh, how do you all feel about this?

caffertyfile.blogs. cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

I blame it on mainstream media and especially history channel. I think this is the results of all the doomsday scare shows, 2012 and so on.
But it really makes me sad that so many people have fallen for it.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by lonewolf19792000

Mayan's did not live 5000 years ago, thats b.s.

That would make them about as old as the Sumerians and older than the ancient Egyptians.

The 5100 mentioned in the article is referring to the 5100 great cycle that the calender keeps record of, that is what ends on Dec 2012.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProRipp
In answer to the question posed in the thread title !

It means 1 in 7 people need psychiatric assessment !

Peace

No, it actually means 1 in 7 people have opened their eyes and are looking around at the world around them.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 03:24 PM
link   
That means that 1 in 7 should be prepared for the end of the world, and the other 6/7 will be wiped out.

Georgia guidestones will be validated?

Of course, even thinking the world will end will not make people prepare for the worst, I bet only 1 - 5% of people will make any sort of preparations for the end they think is coming.

Therefore, 1-5% out of 1 billion people who think the end is coming? About 50 million people will survive, if their preparations are good enough.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 03:29 PM
link   

It means the poll was very limit (probably Americans?) but that a lot of the people polled were of low intelligence and easily led by flim flam men on websites .....

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 03:29 PM
link   

It means the poll was very limit (probably Americans?) but that a lot of the people polled were of low intelligence and easily led by flim flam men on websites .....

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 04:02 PM
link   
Without trying to be clever it means that 6 out of 7 do not. Don't shoot me because I think an honest, accurate public opinion on this matter would be valuable in that it would help gauge the populus' frame of mind.
The sample pool of just 16,000 total across a number of countries is weak, especially if it was commissioned by Reuters.
The poll is weighted too, leaning towards the Mayan Prophecy of Doomsday, and no other scenario. (the 10%)
There is a similar thread going on at the moment, specifically talking about Canadians (9%)

www.abovetopsecret.com...

There are others:
www.examiner.com...
www.skeptic.com...
www.irishtimes.com... (linked to original OP source)

You can even put your money where your mouth is (a bit silly?)
www.bettingpro.com...

And on a lighter note, this link even gives advice on where to go in order to enjoy it!

www.roadjunky.com...

In all seriousness though, as I said at the top, I would be very interested to see what public opinion really is.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 08:21 PM
link   
I Thought the world had already ended at least the world i used to no.
Now were living on a prison planet.

edit on 4-5-2012 by majestic3 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join