It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Furniture king IKEA used prison labor in Cuba

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 05:53 PM
link   

Furniture king IKEA used prison labor in Cuba

dailycaller.com

Struggling to put together your IKEA china hutch? Hire a Cuban dissident: Chances are his family members have lots of experience with the hardware.

Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung, a German-language newspaper, reports that the ubiquitous bargain furniture retailer signed an agreement in 1987 to use Cuban prison labor in its production chain.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.thelocal.se
www.expatica.com

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 05:53 PM
link   
Mods, if I posted this in the wrong forum, please move to appropriate one. Gosh, looks like the great unwind is happening, and transparency across the board is taking place.

I'm sure there will be lot's more revealed as the months move forward. Guess when you suck the money out of the system, the system turns and eats it's self.

dailycaller.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 06:09 PM
link   
They talk about exporting and downsizing. But what I don't understand is why every single community does not have wide awake aware counsels of citizens watchdogs, educating everyone with videos and presentations and talks and blogs, local blog radio's whatever, giving a voice to the minorities the homeless, students, college students and solutions.

This should have been in place region by region decades upon decades, even centuries ago, aware, with most people in all communities pledging to only buy from companies that bent over backwards to, give good value and price, reward their employees with real, not phoney, profit sharing, support local economies and stay in them, pay fair wages, not use poisons, GMO, radiation or pesticides, not exploit the third world, ever. Not even once. Or any vulnerable group. And whose products do not break down on the warranty date, but last for years.

Only buy from good people. Can't find any, wow the pastures are ripe for the picking, think of all the home businesses and local buinesses that need starting, to replace the corruption, pyramid systems, and monopolies, and I'd start with free presses, news papers.
edit on 3-5-2012 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 08:56 PM
link   
I always knew that furniture was cheap for a reason. It's also ugly.

This is how we get cheap stuff in this country-We steal labor. We pay people next to nothing or nothing at all. Americans couldn't live the life we do without this sort of practice.

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 09:23 PM
link   
Well at least now we know why they only use images

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 09:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

First of all, you are insane and I hope you own no guns.

Onto the thread then. First of all, this is hardly breaking news, since prisoners have been making furniture for a pretty long period of time now and there is nothing wrong with it. I wish more people were incarcerated and turned into productive citizens behind bars to be honest. Laws are too soft for DUIs, driving without license, drugs and graffiti etc and really we could fill up the prisons a bit more as long as the prisoners were doing something productive like making sails, making furniture or machining bits and pieces it would be just fine

putting people in jail so that they can work makes sense, putting people in jail so that they can do nothing doesn't, I am sure that the prisoners who work hard making that furniture are more satisfied as well.

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 09:44 PM
link   
reply to post by QQXXw

That wasn't insane, it was exactly what has always been needed, you can't even talk about a democracy unless citizens always established the rules and had watchdog/eduction and action groups.

What you said was very low consciousness.

Canada is not the US gunwise, and since I would never wish to use one, why would you bring that up. It doesnt take armed assualt to speak up for what is needed and for people to start to act grown up.

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 09:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Daedal

I would suggest checking out the list of products manufactured by prison labor in the USA, and the numbers of those imprisoned, and the statistics of their crimes too.

There may be a few thousand in Cuba detained unfairly, but in the US you have private corporations running prisons, judges pocketing cash for sending kids away, and the bloated prison population working to make the only kinds of cheap goods you can manage as a nation.

I'm not pointing this at you, most people know all of this already. I'm just suggesting that it's a bit ridiculous for media to be reporting about this while ignoring what's happening in their own countries.

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 10:06 PM
link   

The U.S is not a democracy but a republic. If a real democracy existed its own people would starve from a lack of leadership or it would deteriorate into a dictatorship rather fast. Maybe if your hypothetical democratic nation had citizens with an average IQ of 150, democracy or communism or anarchism or whatever arbitrary set of governing principles you could make up would all work, but in the real world the only thing that works is herding people like cattle and giving the freedom to intelligent people to either join the herders or remain with the herd.

edit on 3-5-2012 by QQXXw because: (no reason given)

edit on 3-5-2012 by QQXXw because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 05:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by QQXXw

First of all, you are insane and I hope you own no guns.

Onto the thread then. First of all, this is hardly breaking news, since prisoners have been making furniture for a pretty long period of time now and there is nothing wrong with it. I wish more people were incarcerated and turned into productive citizens behind bars to be honest. Laws are too soft for DUIs, driving without license, drugs and graffiti etc and really we could fill up the prisons a bit more as long as the prisoners were doing something productive like making sails, making furniture or machining bits and pieces it would be just fine

putting people in jail so that they can work makes sense, putting people in jail so that they can do nothing doesn't, I am sure that the prisoners who work hard making that furniture are more satisfied as well.

What you're basically calling for is slavery. You do know that right?

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 06:04 AM
link   

I appreciate your attitude Unity_99, but we do not live in a world so fair as to be capable of living as you say. The nations and groups at most risk are too weak, or too tired from thier daily struggle for survival, to put in place the systems you advocate, and those who are strong enough to lend the aegis of thier protection, gained thier power by being utterly uncaring of and even exploiting those weaker than themselves. Upon this basis is all social hierarchy constructed, no matter which nation you live in.

Added to this is a very difficult area in which to think and debate, and that is the issue of law and order in general. In many nations, the US and UK included, the law is often far to soft on those most deserving of punishment, and far to hard on those whose crimes are not of a nature which many would support the prosecution of. Political presure is applied to what should be a pure process, to prevent the most serious offence being prosecuted to what the public would call a decent conclusion.

But to put more power in the hands of scentencing judges, would be to undermine the freedom of the people, because inevitably that power would be misused, or applied poorly, as it always has been before. This is why my nation no longer has a death penalty after all. Unless justice can be applied perfectly, such a scentence is unwarrantable, but without such a scentence, we worry as to where to place our murderers, our savages.

The solutions are not simple, and will take us many years, decades, perhaps even centuries to iron out and perfect to the point where justice is served more often, and more perfectly than the law currently is.

Furthermore, these are just the problems of relatively free and democratic nations. Cuba is not such a nation, and certainly was not back in the eighties. Ikea of course should have had better sense than to outsource thier operations outside of Europe, and certainly ought to have had the foresight to prevent slave labor being used to produce thier furniture. But things are not always so black and white. I can clearly see how they themselves could have been mislead into thinking that the output of the Cuban factor of thier business, was produced by a company who EMPLOYED those who crafted the furniture, rather than cracking the whip over them.

Remember, in the eighties the world was less joined up than it currently is, with less interconnectivity in terms of communications and the like. Cuba could have hidden the opperation behind a layer of paperwork with a proper company name on it, that gave no hint of the true source of the labor that went into the products that came out of the nation. Until we have all the facts, and the paperwork and any resultant prosecution or inquiry has been completely finished, we would be foolish to pass judgement on any of the players in this situation.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 07:56 AM
link   
You mean all of that cheap !@#$ is not made in Sweden??
Well that explains the "Help Me"/ "Ayúdame" message I found scrawled on the bottom of a night stand drawer assembly....

new topics

top topics

join