It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Student's 'Jesus' shirt sparks feud with school

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 05:48 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

I keep forgetting this is Canadian. I'm not familiar with Canadian laws or customs, or anything Canadian.

This isn't even worth arguing anymore. I'm out.

Have a good one, people.

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 05:50 PM
link   
I have a shirt which reads, "Defeat the Christian Right." I also have a shirt which displays an image of a man who has mutilated his genitals sitting dead in a pool of his own blood, but I have never received complaints for wearing either of them out in public.

My friend has a shirt which displays an image of an infant holding a handgun, and he's never gotten in a confrontation over it.

I suppose that a school environment is different, but I've found that as long as I don't go around flaunting my shirts and trying to get a reaction out of people, they don't seem to mind all that much.

In fact, I'd bet that most people really don't care about my beliefs or what I wear.
In this case, it seems the kid was trying to get a reaction out of his shirt, and he sure seems to like the attention he's getting for it, so his intent isn't self expression, but rather pretentiousness.

Simply put, people don't care provided you don't give them a reason to.

link   

Originally posted by Starchild23
reply to post by intrepid

Your uninformed quote was very...uninformed.

As was this post:

reply to post by Annee

Hold on. Religion is an innate part of our country...our country was founded based upon Christianity.

The founding of our country was not based upon Christianity. The majority of our Founders were deists. Not Christians. You don't find any mentions of "Christ" in the constitution, Declaration of Independence, or Bill of Rights. However, you do find a few mentions of God. Because Deists believe that "God" created the universe and then basically threw up his hands and said "Have at it everyone! I am out!" They did not believe Christ, Buddha, Yahweh, or any other deity had an active role in our lives, or world.

link   
reply to post by Annee

Christians would be very outspoken about an Atheist T-shirt.

there you go with that logical fallacy again. you aren't a christian, yet you're whole premise is based on telling christians what they would be outspoken about. then you say "since christians would be outspoken against another's shirt, their shirts should be banned".

how about all shirts with no derogatory content or hate speech are allowed? that's probably a little too fair for your liking.

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 05:51 PM
link   
Heh, I'm in a kinda jocular mood tonight and now I'm sitting thinking what othetr cool slogans I could have printed on a shirt, my favourite so far is "Jesus had a beard", again - not offensive, personally I believe wholeheartedly that jesus did indeed have a beard.

Be nice to hear some suggestions, ain't no=one gonna beat my beard slogan, which is awesome.

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 05:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Malynn

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 05:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jordan River

Lately from the mainstream media, Christians have been attacked a lot, although for good reason I might add, homophobia, pedo, ect ect

Christainity backdrop on conservative idealism is slowly fading, because we are simply not in the 1950s anymore

Tell me about it - - I am from the 50s. There was no legal recourse from Christianity then.

There are MANY good people who are Christian. Obviously in these discussions I/we are targeting a specific group of intolerant Christians - - - wearing blinders to anything beyond their own little self-righteous world.

There are many gay Christians. There are many Christians that understand equality and support equal rights for all.

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 05:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by DestroyDestroyDestroy
I have a shirt which reads, "Defeat the Christian Right." I also have a shirt which displays an image of a man who has mutilated his genitals sitting dead in a pool of his own blood, but I have never received complaints for wearing either of them out in public.

lol My boyfriend's favorite shirt depicts a couple of boyscouts or cubscouts or something sitting around a campfire while a bear sneaks up behind them holding a shovel about to beat them into submission. Hilarious.

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by IronArm

Originally posted by Annee

Originally posted by IronArm

Christianity is slowly being outlawed in Canada, and this is just one example. For a country who's national anthem contains the phrase "God, Keep out Land", this seems rather vengeful against the faith of Christians, while laws/rules are being passed municipaly, provincialy, and nationaly to permit greater rights to immigrants and the religious ideologies they bring with.

news.ca.msn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

And what if the student wore a shirt that said: Satan Rules?

Religion does not need to be a part of public school.

Rediculous. I know, and have been in school with, many people wearing band shirts promoting Baphomet, Behemoth, and Cannibal Corpse, as an example. Take a look at thier slogans. No issues arose from those shirts. This is part of a mounting target on Christians.

It has nothing to do with Christians, but nonetheless, still a wrong thing to do. Saying this is all about Christians is like dropping the race card. It's about forcing an opinion on a group by being a walking advertisement for two weeks. This is the crux of the situation. It's got nothing to do with God, Satan or your favorite color.

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 05:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bob Sholtz

how about all shirts with no derogatory content or hate speech are allowed? that's probably a little too fair for your liking.

Here's a video for you. Be sure to read all the comments. Be sure to check out the other related videos.

www.youtube.com...

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 05:58 PM
link   

en.wikipedia.org...

Hey! Thanks for the link! I love reading about Thomas Jefferson. One of my favorite founders. I was not aware of this aspect of his of studies.

Although, if your post (completely devoid of any supporting text on your part, which is against the T&C btw) is supposed to be some kind of refutation of my statement that our country was not founded upon Christianity I'd have to say this falls woefully short of a refutation.

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 06:01 PM
link   

en.wikipedia.org...

Hey! Thanks for the link! I love reading about Thomas Jefferson. One of my favorite founders. I was not aware of this aspect of his of studies.

Although, if your post (completely devoid of any supporting text on your part, which is against the T&C btw) is supposed to be some kind of refutation of my statement that our country was not founded upon Christianity I'd have to say this falls woefully short of a refutation.

I believe that Christianity LOOSELY founded america. With some of the founders being christian . which would make more sense than ever. If you look at it being Under God and all. Still doesn't answer all the questions, but Tjeff was infact a christain who went against the grain of religious doctrine and sunday church. I'll be posting a thread on this soon
edit on 3-5-2012 by Jordan River because: (no reason given)

edit on 3-5-2012 by Jordan River because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 06:05 PM
link   

reply to post by Aloysius the Gaul

If it insults you, then you're clearly very, very easy to insult.

You mistake insult for care.

Saying my life is wasted is an insult to me.

Saying your life is wasted is an insult to you.

It's not a particularly important or relevant insult, but that doesn't stop it from being what it is.

I've never seen a less insulting shirt in my life. Only with people who have a problem with disagreements, would it be insulting. In that case, you have a personal problem.

You have clearly had a protected and wasted life then!!
And that's not an insult - it is a logical conclusion based on your own admission and obvious closed mindedness!!

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 06:05 PM
link   
reply to post by anon72

ALL HAIL the great Lord

JesusAllahBatman !

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 06:08 PM
link   

It's only an insult if you let it.

ETA: And that's what freedom is all about. Yes? Ironically you'd be stifling your own freedom for the sake of eliminating one t-shirt.
edit on 3-5-2012 by FlySolo because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 06:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Jordan River

Sure. I'm sure a lot of founders were Christian. Some more so than others. However, they were careful to keep their religion out of the founding documents. And also careful to make plain their desire to keep Church and State separate. "Under God" is from the Pledge of Allegience which was written by a Christian long after the founders were dead.

As far as the t-shirt goes I can see both sides. While if I saw a dude wearing it I would be like "my life is SOO not wasted" *mild stink-eye toward shirt wearer*. I think telling anyone not to wear a t-shirt is kind of ridiculous. You don't see people getting pulled over for assinine bumper-stickers.

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlySolo

It's only an insult if you let it.

so I let it - tough - get over it.

but in fact it is intended to be an insult too of course - it is deliberately provocotive, it is 9ntended to denigrate most of the 7.something billion people on the planet and drive a narrow minded theocratic agenda.

So even if you choose to not be insulted by it it is still not peaceful, it is still hate filled, and it is still not hopeful for the vast majority of people on this earth.

ETA: And that's what freedom is all about. Yes? Ironically you'd be stifling your own freedom for the sake of eliminating one t-shirt.

I have never said anywhere that I want to eliminate the T-shirt - I am happy to let him wear it - or anyone else for that matter.

I have taken issue with the god-botherers who say the message is wonderful, peaceful, etc - ie I take issue with the BS - not with the wearing of the garment or with the words on it.
edit on 3-5-2012 by Aloysius the Gaul because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 06:14 PM
link   
The founding of America was a different time.

Church was a local social event that most everyone in the neighborhood went to - - - whether they believed or not.

Political/Religious discussion was as prevalent then as it is today. As today - - some Atheist's/Deists know the bible better then many Christians.

There was no TV or Internet. Debates were probably at church gatherings - - men's clubs - - and through letter writings.

Most of the founding fathers were Deists. But if you read through their writings you will find many references and discussions of the bible/Christianity.

Many will argue they were Christian from "out takes" of their letter correspondence debates.

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Now this one I'll respond to.

Where in the article does the boy say that it was intended as an insult?

Nowhere. You are letting your own sensitivities make up facts.

Unless you can prove it?

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Starchild23

That is my opinion - I have stated that it is my pinion (now if not explicitly before) - there is your evidence that it is my opinion that it is intended to insult people who are not jesus freaks.

And I knew you'd not be able to resist!!

edit on 3-5-2012 by Aloysius the Gaul because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join