It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Student's 'Jesus' shirt sparks feud with school

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 05:22 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

I wouldn't expect a logical debate from someone who doesnt know Novia Scotia isnt in the United states.

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Catholic schools are known for being very strict.

I had thought that PUBLIC schools would be a little less so. Evidently not.

link   

Originally posted by YourDreamsCanceled
I don't live in America but I remember something about religious equality in America, does it not exist anymore? Should the student be spreading messages of hate would that be more approved of?

But you can interpret what the shirt says as hate.

If you are Christian - - you see nothing wrong with this T-shirt.

If you are not Christian - - it can be interpreted as hate.

Christian's never seem to understand the difference.

(note: some Christians. Obviously not all)

link   
reply to post by Starchild23

Lol That reminds me of a friend who went to Disneyland Paris with his young kids.
Micky Mouse was using him as a fall guy - the brunt of his jokes - My friend got really fed up of it and snapped and went and grabbed Micky Mouse round the neck and told him to shut the you know what up or he would flatten him.
All the kids and parents stood staring open mouthed and in shock but Micky never said another word about my friend - Yes I know how outrageous but I had to laugh.

link   

Originally posted by stanguilles7

I wouldn't expect a logical debate from someone who doesnt know Novia Scotia isnt in the United states.

Gonna keep up the back-and-forth poo slinging, eh?

link   
The fact that he wore the shirt every day for such a long period annoys me, it's not the message itself it's the idea that this person is probably doing it deliberately because he knows fine well it's annoying foilk.

Doing it under the pretense that it's fine because it's christian and supposedly a good thing...why is it a good thing?

Think of it like this, if i were at school or work and there was some muslim dude who came in one day with a shirt bearing an islamic slogan I wouldn't give a hoot, but if he kept coming in every day wearing that same shirt I'd start to think he was getting some kind of kick out of ramming his beliefs down peoples throats...and christians would probably get wound up about it long before I did.

Personally I think this dude was doing it to antagonise some people while at the same time stroking his own smug ego and thinking he was a smart-ass...he shouldn't be going to school or whatever with the intention of causing any kind of controversy...he should be there to learn.

I honestly don't care that much what others religious views are, each to their own - I care when they continually go on about it or feel the need to ram it down my throat as if it makes them better than everyone...so you're a christian, get over it and leave people alone.

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 05:25 PM
link   
reply to post by artistpoet

Sounds like Mickey Mouse was just some jerkoff who was getting a cheap job standing around and taking pics with the kids.

That kind of stuff happens. But seriously, you can't use a guy in a suit to judge the creator of a franchise that has delighted billions of children all over the world.

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by IronArm

Student's 'Jesus' shirt sparks feud with school

news.ca.msn.com

A Christian student suspended from a high school in Nova Scotia for sporting a T-shirt with the slogan "Life is wasted without Jesus" vows to wear it when he returns to class next week.

(visit the link for the full news article)

again it shows how intolerant the preachers of tolerance are.

And for those who said religion doesn't belong in school, it's a farce. Would they be as upset if someone walked in with a "Buddha for life" shirt?

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 05:27 PM
link   
reply to post by FaceLikeTheSun

I just realize something...and yes, this is to all of you who think, "Oh, it's because it was talking about wasting life. Someone got offended by it."

Does it say "You" on it? Does it have ANY pronouns on it, besides Jesus? It may as well say "My" because it sure as heck doesn't say otherwise!

With that said, once again...crappy administration is crappy. The kid voiced his beliefs, and got booted for it. It's Canada for you.

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 05:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Starchild23

Catholic schools are known for being very strict.

So there is no problem with Christian schools making their rules but when it doesn't line up with religion it's wrong?

"I love the smell of hypocrisy in the morning."

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 05:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

You can interpret a lot of things as hate. The fact schools don't teach religion can be called hate too...educational discrimination. But see, there's a choice of how to view it.

Always a choice.

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Gotta love Motorhead
They are a National Treasure
Sir Lemmy please arise lol

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 05:29 PM
link   

It's Canada for you.

Great place to live. Ask anyone. You can come and they'll throw out the welcome mat for you. I won't be there though. I have my own standards.

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 05:30 PM
link   
That thing about the dude attacking mickey mouse was hilarious...the dude's a hero if you ask me.

Aaaanyway, people who wear shirts with stupid, supposeldy humerous comments on them only want attention, usually walk around pointing at their chest with both hand sporting a huge grin as if to say...look, tee-shirt...see? Tee-shirt....got funny slogan on, see? Aren't I hilarious?

Not really, no...when I see someone like I just described above I put my "I'm with stupid" tee-shirt on and stand beside them with my arm round them, grinning like an idiot.
edit on 3-5-2012 by samerulesapply because: Had typed "tee-shot" instead of "tee-shirt" because I'm stupid.

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Your uninformed quote was very...uninformed.

If it was an atheist school, I would not be having this argument. However, it was a public school...which means every form of education that does not harm the students, is fair game. And if there is a Christian student there, they obviously don't have a problem with Christianity.

Furthermore, as I have already pointed out, the shirt was directing it at NO ONE. There was not a single pronoun indicating who the shirt was referring to. It would just as easily have been "My" as anything else. And the fact that people choose a Jesus shirt to get upset over shouts discrimination to me.

And before you say it, I would be arguing the same case had the school booted a student wearing an atheism shirt.

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 05:32 PM
link   

I have my own standards as well. I prefer to have a quick way back if I don't like it...so, not this year.

Maybe next year will do it!

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 05:34 PM
link   
reply to post by samerulesapply

This kind of undermines the freedom of religion things...

What's next, no religious shirts period because, "It advises a belief system without a valid license in practicable opinions"?

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

I'm not Judaic in any way, and yet I will say that I believe this to be wrong. It's not a gang slogan, it's not a hateful message or slandering anyone, it's spreading a perfectly peaceful and happy message out...

Did you read the article?

There were complaints. People were offended.

You KNOW if a student wore a pro Satan shirt - - - there would be a lot more complaints from Christians.

AND those Christians would think they were in the right to ban the student and the shirt.

You can't have it both ways - - - just because your viewpoint is "Jesus is about Peace and Love". Not everyone agrees.

Actually, I was watching the interview with the CBC anchor and the school board official. She ( the anchor) was trying to get a straight answer several times as to what was the main reason why the school board determined it offensive. Because the shirt said " 'Life' is wasted without Jesus" and not 'My Life'. In other words, the generalization of the shirt was offensive.

Took her a long time to get that admission because clearly the official was being breezy. Good journalism on her part for persisting and pigeonholing her.

link   

reply to post by samerulesapply

This kind of undermines the freedom of religion things...

What's next, no religious shirts period because, "It advises a belief system without a valid license in practicable opinions"?

You just love antagonizing people don't you?

anyways, freedom of speech (although it is in nova scotia) should be allowable, and religion even within a public school, shoudl also be allowably worn if the person desires so,.

also, Jesus does not constitutes a religion

link   

Originally posted by Annee

Originally posted by IronArm

Christianity is slowly being outlawed in Canada, and this is just one example. For a country who's national anthem contains the phrase "God, Keep out Land", this seems rather vengeful against the faith of Christians, while laws/rules are being passed municipaly, provincialy, and nationaly to permit greater rights to immigrants and the religious ideologies they bring with.

news.ca.msn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

And what if the student wore a shirt that said: Satan Rules?

Religion does not need to be a part of public school.

And what if he wore a shirt that says Mohammed rules? They wouldnt have touched him

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join