It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Student's 'Jesus' shirt sparks feud with school

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 05:12 PM
link   
reply to post by artistpoet

That's exactly what I'm saying.

There's a lot better t shirts to get upset over. Like the "need head" one. I've seen that one slip by too many times to be coincidence...

link   

Originally posted by Starchild23
I'm not Judaic in any way, and yet I will say that I believe this to be wrong. It's not a gang slogan, it's not a hateful message or slandering anyone, it's spreading a perfectly peaceful and happy message out...

And it's wrong? Are we not allowed to think for ourselves, or share beliefs? Let me guess, now they'll ban the word "Jesus" or "Christian" being mentioned in those schools...

I thought police state meant protecting the government against public dissent. Now, it's taking on a whole new meaning...no religion, no beliefs...are we going to abolish personality as well? Are we going to be a bunch of zombies good for nothing more than writing down our names and pressing buttons when told?

Someone said we'd devolve into monkeys someday. I guess they were right.

From the quotes on this site I'm not quite positive the evolution from monkeys is complete. I have to agree with this post though, I don't live in America but I remember something about religious equality in America, does it not exist anymore? Should the student be spreading messages of hate would that be more approved of?

Irony: Kids wearing Disney clothing made from the ultimate pedophile Mr. Disney himself

link   
reply to post by Annee

what if i find you offensive, would you object to yourself and leave the thread peacefully? (i don't, but by your own logic, you should) first logical fallacy.

many people find many things offensive, and everyone can't be pleased, but this shirt isn't hurting anyone. btw, saying "christians would object to xyz, therefore everything christian should be banned" causes two more fallacies.

firstly, you're projecting. i'm christian, and i wouldn't attempt to get a "i love satan" shirt banned. last week there was a kid dressed up like hitler going to my college complete with swastika armband and mustache, yet he wasn't hauled off.

secondly, you say that because christians wish to ban things, that everything christian should be banned. this is a fallacy because the reason you say christian things should be banned is that they would object to the "i love satan shirt", so christian things should be banned, but THEN christian things are banned by others, and you support that.

link   
Looks like this kid wasn't suspended for the slogan on the shirt, he was suspended for ignoring requests to stop wearing it.

In many school and office environments where casual clothing is allowed, slogans of ANY kind are not allowed to avoid issues such as this.

If he was in contravention of a "no slogan" policy, this would be the real reason for the suspension.

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 05:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

So, for a thought experiment, what if, as a female, my wearing short sleeves offended a Muslim student? Should I then be forced to wear long sleeves when it's 90 degrees out?

What if an non-Theist wearing a flying sphaghetti monster shirt or a "God is my imaginary friend" shirt offended people?

We have to draw the line somewhere, and until the kid wears a Bible shirt encouraging fellow Christians to eat non-Christian's babies or something similarly disgusting and violence provoking, then people who are "offended" are just looking for something to complain about and need to stop whining.

link   

reply to post by stanguilles7

That was some pretty small text. For a second, I mistook it for your signature.

Free speech means free speech. Which means that as long as people can go around saying, "This is tupid" or "That is stupid" or "Drugs will ruin you forever", it's free game to say as a matter of opinion, "Your life is wasted without Jesus."

Okay, well, as long as you don't cram that slogan down my protesting throat, I'm happy to let you yammer quietly to yourself about how wonderful being "saved" is while I go find myself something to do far away from you...

No, that is not what 'Free Speech" means. And you ARE aware that the First Amendment is an American thing, right?And this happened in Canada, which is not in the United States. Are you aware of that?

link   
reply to post by Annee

I think you're hateful towards Christians, actually. I don't ever see you clarifying (as I have done) that you are only against a certain aspect, and respect their freedom of religion...I only see you saying bad stuff about it.

But that's all on you.

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 05:14 PM
link   
reply to post by YourDreamsCanceled

Whoa...Walt Disney? A pedophile?

Pics or it didn't happen.

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 05:15 PM
link   
I have a question: does this school allow any religion?

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 05:16 PM
link   

I have a question.

Did you even read the article?

link   
reply to post by babybunnies

I think that a large part of the issue at hand is that it was discriminatory and uncalled for him to be told to stop wearing it in the first place.

link   
when I was in school in 90's we also liked trolling teachers and students...

a bunch of us had t-shirts that had the georgia flag (at the time in the 90s) on it, on the back it said "You have you're X, We have ours"

boy did that stir up a lot of crap

but luckily back then schools weren't as strict as they are now so noone got suspended, teachers begged us not to wear it but we had freedom of speech.

heck I used to bring a gun to school, a rifle in my car, but we had to have a letter from our parents with knowledge and approval, signed given to school, since my town is a huge hunting community kids would get out of school and go hunting.

There is no way I'd survive in today's school systems way too political correct and strict.

back when I was in school political correctness was seen as evil and we had tons more freedom, hell My school also had a smoking section which also required a note from parents if you smoked, course I didn't but many many students did and they'd be in the smoking section on recess along with teachers.

schools today are political correctness machines which should all be destroyed imo, Political correctness needs to be eliminated from this country to return us back to freedom

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Back to the regular scheduled topic of the annihilation of Christianity in the world.

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 05:17 PM
link   
if you're offended by this shirt, you're too childish to be out of preschool. period.

what happens when you walk down the street and people say something offensive? get real.

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 05:18 PM
link   

I wasn't talking to you.

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bob Sholtz
if you're offended by this shirt, you're too childish to be out of preschool. period.

what happens when you walk down the street and people say something offensive? get real.

Ding ding ding. This guy right here gets it.

Exactly what I'm saying. Freedom of everything, people...

Oh, wait. I keep forgetting. We're talking about Canada here. Sorry. :bnghd:

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 05:19 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Who said anything about annihilation?

Personally, I favor enslavement.

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96

Back to the regular scheduled topic of the annihilation of Christianity in the world.

LOL.

That's what makes me laugh about issues like this. You people scream oppression at every possible slight. Victim complex.

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by stanguilles7

I have a question.

Did you even read the article?

I have another question, did I fart? Star, you seem to be ignoring the salient points I'm putting up there. I come from that area. I should know. Seems like you've got a bee because it's looks like anti-christian to you. Got another question for you. How well would this shirt go over in a Catholic school?

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 05:20 PM
link   
For a little more information, this school that has banned the shirt is located near where I live. It is a very rural fishing area of Nova Scotia with lots of history and lots of tradition. To me, it seems more like a power struggle between a student and a school administrator. (that has been blown way out of proportion)

I asked a colleague at work, what would all the Pepsi drinkers think if someone had a shirt that said, "Life is wasted without Coca-Cola"... that could be considered harassment by some Pepsi drinkers as easily as someone replacing the name Jesus with any other brand, be it Pepsi, Buddha, Coors, or Wal-Mart...

To me, Jesus (or Allah, Buddha, Moses, Ra) is nothing more than a brand for the big business known as Religion. We each have a right to choose which one we want, we're just supposed to not talk about it.
This is my opinion and in my country I am allowed to say this. Why should it matter what roof is over my head when I say it. I am stating a simple opinion of the brand I am faithful to... why does it need to be any more complicated than that?

That thing called common sense gets all tied up in drama and crap that we've over complicated everything!

This similarly reminds me of when a black guy and a white guy have a dispute over a girl and it is automatically racial tension... WRONG!!! It's some guys fighting over a girl with no weight what so ever about color of skin. I suggest we take the media for what they really are... sensationalist... it their brand and they are entitled to it!
edit on 3-5-2012 by TommyG because: typo

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join