It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Student's 'Jesus' shirt sparks feud with school

page: 25
<< 22  23  24    26  27  28 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 06:16 PM
link   
reply to post by votan

The problem is, people don't want to leave their prejudices behind. All people want to do is yell and scream at each other and force each other to conform to their beliefs. It's hip and it's trendy and it's fun to do.

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by EvilSadamClone
reply to post by votan

The problem is, people don't want to leave their prejudices behind. All people want to do is yell and scream at each other and force each other to conform to their beliefs. It's hip and it's trendy and it's fun to do.

I'm completely clear. I support 100% separation of church and state. Public high school is "state".

Then a religious person will bring in homosexuality. Which in government individual equal rights should have zero to do with religion.

Someday that will be realized. One should have nothing to do with the other.

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 06:30 PM
link   
UPDATE:

He went back to school wearing the same shirt LOL

Trying to find the link I read earlier today...

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by CALGARIAN
UPDATE:

He went back to school wearing the same shirt LOL

Trying to find the link I read earlier today...

I posted that earlier.

Not sure I included a link.

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 06:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

That's something we can agree on, I want to see religion kept out of politics and public schools too. I have no problem with private schools, though, just public. It does NOT belong there.

However, the Christians won't agree because they believe that Christianity should be taught in schools as fact, and absolutely ONLY Christianity should be taught to students. And of course remember, if you don't let them teach then it victimizes and oppresses each and every single Christian everywhere in the free world!

They just aren't happy with all the TV stations they have, radio stations, churches and private homes.

As far as the kid goes, good for him. As long as he doesn't start wigging out if somebody wears a pro-atheist tee shirt.

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 06:48 PM
link   

However, the Christians won't agree because they believe that Christianity should be taught in schools as fact, and absolutely ONLY Christianity should be taught to students. And of course remember, if you don't let them teach then it victimizes and oppresses each and every single Christian everywhere in the free world!

I know - - I was raised Christian.

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 06:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by BenReclused
reply to post by SearchLightsInc

Your right, i shouldnt have used the word "normal" how about a plain T-shirt? or if you wanna be radical, one with a nice pattern on it?

Those suggestions would be fine, as long as they applied to everyone, including teachers.

Anything except a T-shirt that promotes your beliefs that a man in the sky made the world a couple thousand years ago

Your bigotry is showing again...

See ya,
Milt

Yeah, because religious folk could never be accused of bigotry could they? Most of em cant even think for themselves without consulting the book. Tell you what, why dont you have your beliefs and keep them to yourself and i'll have mine and i'll keep them to myself. I wont knock on your door trying to convince you there is no good and you dont wear a T-shirt saying that my life is wasted without jesus. Seems fair to me!

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 06:57 PM
link   

As far as the kid goes, good for him. As long as he doesn't start wigging out if somebody wears a pro-atheist tee shirt.

I'm all for independent kids. Believe me.

Both my daughters were told by men - - they would never have a successful relationship because they didn't know how to treat a man LOL

But I also believe in personal responsibility and respect for others. Knowing when and where to make a statement.

This kid is just being a jerk.

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

Originally posted by SearchLightsInc

To appease you, I state that all organized religions (including Christianity and Islam) are a farce and have most certainly held humanity back form advancing at a faster pace because organized religion doesn't like.science

I am Atheist. I was raised Christian. I do not reference Islam because I have zero knowledge of it. Why would I slam something I am completely ignorant about? I also don't reference Judaism because I am completely ignorant of that belief.

Christianity is the dominant religion in American that tries to force itself in/on all aspects of this country.

I've watch the change in Christian dominants over the last 40 years or so. I've watched their power dominance legally diminish. They are losing the battle - - - and the more scared they get - - the more they push.

Again - - as an Atheist who was raised Christian -- and considered myself Christian until just the last few years - - - I speak of what I know - - which is Christianity.

What's really annoying is Christians telling Athetist's what they think and believe. They should not reference what they are ignorant of.

I am 100% in support of separation of church and state - - which includes public school.

I have friends of the muslim faith and over time ive learned alot about there culture and how much it ties in with the Quran. When i say organised religion has held back humanity i dont make the statement out of ignorance but rather ive read my stuff, ive witnessed first hand, and that is the conclusion ive come to.
However, if someone wants to have faith in a man in the clouds thats fine with me, i dont have a problem with it as long as there not trying to force there beliefs on other people - Which religion is notorious for.
This kid shouldnt be wearing the T-shirt, its a school, your there to learn not to convert people to your belief system. No ones taking away his freedom to believe what he wants, why is he complaining?

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by SearchLightsInc
When i say organised religion has held back humanity i dont make the statement out of ignorance but rather ive read my stuff, ive witnessed first hand, and that is the conclusion ive come to.

Oh I agree. Take Stem Cells for just a current example.

But - - being American - - and Christianity being the dominant religion sticking its nose in everyone else's business - - and me having personal knowledge of that belief - - I will continue to reference Christianity - - and leave alone what I don't have knowledge of.

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 07:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by BenReclused
reply to post by SearchLightsInc

To appease you, i state that all orgainised religions (including christianity and islam) are a farce and have most certainly held humanity back form advancing at a faster pace because organised religion dont.like.science - Unless it actually supports your beliefs that earth is the centre of the universe and a man in the cloud has a list of all the good people and all the bad people and the bad ones are going to a very bad place and all the good people are going to a very good place!

That's not an appeasement! That was no less than blatant attempt to force your beliefs on me!

Furthermore, your presumption regarding my beliefs couldn't have been any further from the truth! I am not a religious person! Considering your propensity to jump to conclusions, I would imagine most of your opinions are a farce.

Christianity stole many pagan idea's - You dont like to talk about that either

I don't really care where Christians "stole" their ideas from, but once again you jumped to another wrong conclusion about me. At least you're consistent when "speaking from your ass".

See ya,
Milt

Get over yourself, you start out by saying i dont insult religions equally and when i do you get your knickers in a twist, pull out the "bigot" card and people are actually staring you for it? ATS has gone WAAAYY downhill!
Im gonna jump to another conclusion and say that your trolling my posts with your ignorance. What kind of person starts defending a faith and then states they dont care that that faith stole there idea's from an earlier time?

Yeah, its not really important that christianity took a peaceful religion and turned it into 2000 years of bloodshed. Who cares right? Its not for me to point out the flaws of having someone do the thinking for you.

Idiot.

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 07:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

Because you completely understand Christianity, right?

I don't think you know nearly enough of it, or have contemplated all of its facets deeply enough, to make any osrt of the judgments you seem fond of making. You only see the disadvantages of religion.

You must learn to see both sides of the equation, and balance them accordingly. It's basic algebra.

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Starchild23
reply to post by Annee

Because you completely understand Christianity, right?

Yes - I do.

I was raised in it and raised my kids Christian.

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 07:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

Being that involved in Christianity doesn't convince me of your understanding regarding it, given the track record displayed by our resident zealots.

If anything, it increases the likelihood that your understanding is tainted by your upbringing or societal influences. You have to take a step back to have any hope of seeing the clearer picture.

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 07:15 PM
link   

reply to post by Annee

That's something we can agree on, I want to see religion kept out of politics and public schools too. I have no problem with private schools, though, just public. It does NOT belong there.

They just aren't happy with all the TV stations they have, radio stations, churches and private homes.

"The Christians" will agree because some Christians don't think Christianity should be taught in schools.

In all honesty, there is something a little different between wearing a pro-religious shirt and an anti-religion shirt. It reminds me of that saying, to the effect of, "I won't attend an anti-war rally, but if there's a pro-peace rally then I'll be there". "Pro-atheist" is first and foremost anti-religion since it's under religion and feeds off of it for its existence.

If the atheist shirt was something like, "Life is meaningless without science" or whatever, that would be fair, but I think we all know it'd be far more tasteless, something equal to the pseudo-Christians saying "Gays are going to heck".

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 07:22 PM
link   

reply to post by Annee

Being that involved in Christianity doesn't convince me of your understanding regarding it, given the track record displayed by our resident zealots.

If anything, it increases the likelihood that your understanding is tainted by your upbringing or societal influences. You have to take a step back to have any hope of seeing the clearer picture.

And who the hell are you? And what difference does it make what your opinion is.

Over the years on the net - - I've talked to many seminary students that became disillusioned the more they discovered real facts - - not myth.

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 07:27 PM
link   

reply to post by Annee

See, this is what im talking about. Starchild, im not trying to burn you but im using your post as an example of how opinions are pushed. Anne said she was raised christian and yet your still questioning her understanding of it??

I dont understand why your questioning her understanding of chirstianity???

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 07:28 PM
link   
The phrase "Life is wasted without jesus" is saying believe in what I believe in, or your wasting your life. This person is very closed minded if they really believe that statement, not that it is rare for a christian to be closed minded. Nobody knows for sure what happens after we are gone, so stop jamming your beliefs down eachothers throats. I won't wear my life is wasted WITH jesus shirt, and you can leave your's at home.

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 07:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

I think you're just reading too much into it. I don't think the kid is being a jerk, he just likes the tee shirt. It's the other people who had a problem with it. I really don't think he was purposefully trying to instigate things, just wanted to wear his shirt.

edit on 7-5-2012 by EvilSadamClone because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 07:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Starchild23

Hmmmm,,, you and only you have the right and correct understanding of Christianity.

Of Course.

top topics

<< 22  23  24    26  27  28 >>

join