It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Student's 'Jesus' shirt sparks feud with school

page: 23
<< 20  21  22    24  25  26 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 08:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

I really don't want to go there since you are hypocritical on the matter of being offended. You and people like you would like to pick and choose what is considered offensive. Yes, Canada has laws against hate speech - they have human rights tribunals - the way the left uses political correctness in order to stifle freedom of expression.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 08:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by MidnightTide
reply to post by Annee

I really don't want to go there since you are hypocritical on the matter of being offended. You and people like you would like to pick and choose what is considered offensive. Yes, Canada has laws against hate speech - they have human rights tribunals - the way the left uses political correctness in order to stifle freedom of expression.

I am not the one who slammed Islam - - and then claimed to have friends that are Islam.

I stated I was ignorant of the Islam belief.

I've stated I speak only of Christianity - - because I was raised Christian - - and that is what I know.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 09:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

Which has nothing to do with my statement.

You have a bone to pick with Christianity and you also like to pick and choose what issues one should be allowed to be offended by. Doesn't work that way....not in my book.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 09:27 PM
link   

reply to post by Annee

You have a bone to pick with Christianity and you also like to pick and choose what issues one should be allowed to be offended by. Doesn't work that way....not in my book.

I was Christian. What part of that do people not understand? I even wanted to be a minister at one time.

Speaking about what I know - - - - is a "bone to pick"?

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 10:16 PM
link   
How many of you would support a kid wearing a shirt that says "Jesus is not a homophobe" to school? It might offend some Christians, so I would expect to see some support from you atheists.

Annee:
The kid's gay, so I reckon that should please the hell out of you. There is a downside though... he's a Christian so you might not go along with it.

See ya,
Milt
edit on 5-5-2012 by BenReclused because: Typo

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 10:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by BenReclused

Annee:
The kid's gay, so I reckon that should please the hell out of you. There is a downside though... he's a Christian so you might not go along with it.

I've already experienced you telling Atheist's what they think.

Please do not respond to me. I am not interested in your opinion of anything.

There are plenty of posters willing to respond to you.

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 01:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Annee

I've already experienced you telling Atheist's what they think.

No you haven't! All I've ever told you about atheists, is that it is not a pronoun, and it shouldn't be capitalized unless it was at the beginning of a sentence. As far as what they think... I don't give a damn! My biggest concern is what I think! Unlike you, I'm perfectly fine with "to each, their own".

Please do not respond to me. I am not interested in your opinion of anything.

Also unlike you, I am ALL for freedom of expression FOR EVERYONE. That includes ME! Therefore, I WILL exercise that freedom by responding to anyone I so desire.

If you're not interested in my opinion, please exercise your right to ignore it. Believe it, or not, that tactic will also work in regard to T-Shirts, signs, people, Christians, and pretty damn near everything else.

There are plenty of posters willing to respond to you.

Thank you for your concern.

Now is also a good time to respond to this comment:

What's really annoying is Christians telling Athetist's what they think and believe.

That's not the message I get when I read most of your posts. This is the one I get from them:
Christians annoy the crap out of me. I HATE them! Anyone that hates Christian is, like me, above reproach.

Just so you know:
Hypocrites annoy the hell out of me, but dishonest ones REALLY piss me off! Feel free to take that any way you please.

Other than that, I'm actually a pretty mellow fellow.

Sincerely,
Milt

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 05:30 AM
link   

reply to post by Annee

Well so far I'm offended by everything in your ugly book.

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 05:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Garfee

reply to post by Annee

Free country buddy.

But that is the way I would have it....not some bland, homogeneous, pre-approved thoughts that people like you would like to push on us all.

Have a good one!

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 09:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Starchild23
reply to post by Annee

Hold on. Religion is an innate part of our country...our country was founded based upon Christianity. Christianity plays a key role in a huge part of our history. Religion plays a key role in the whole world.

So we're going to teach about ancient Egyptian gods, but not about Christianity? That's discrimination.

Are you suggesting discrimination in our educational curriculum?

So religion is an innate part of your country, and it plays a key role in a huge part of your history, and Religion plays a key role in the whole world?? Have you looked at the world lately? And, in particular, have you looked at your own country?? Step down from your pedistals and see the world for what it really is. If you really want enlightenment, look inside. Not outside, where there are so many brainwashing practises in place, just waiting for the likes of you to fall in to their trap.

Think for yourself. Not how the masses want you to think. There, you will achieve enlightenment.

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 12:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Starchild23

Since when is our country founded based on christianity? The founding fathers were deists, and Thomas Jefferson and John Adams were openly against christianity.

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 03:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Garfee

No surprise there! Narrow minded individuals, such as yourself, always have trouble accepting the reality that others often have thoughts that are different than their own. I'm not sure if it's because of arrogance, or ignorance, but I can promise that one, or the other, or both is/are a HUGE factor in your negativity.

See ya,
Milt

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by jaijlee

Have you looked at the world lately?

It's been a little while, but yeah, I've lived in 5 different countries. The, people, and problems with the people in those countries were NEVER as BAD as I HEARD they were.

And, in particular, have you looked at your own country?

Yep, I've done that too! I've set up residence in 12 different states. Once again, conditions were NEVER as BAD as I HEARD they were.

Step down from your pedistals and see the world for what it really is.

Leave your damn cubicle for a while, and learn for yourself what is REALLY GOOD about the World.

If you really want enlightenment, look inside. Not outside, where there are so many brainwashing practises in place, just waiting for the likes of you to fall in to their trap.

The only thing one finds on the "inside", without knowledge from the "outside", is ignorance! I reckon it's too late for you though, you have already fallen "in to their trap". Somehow you have been brainwashed into believing that you already know it all. Without a doubt, you are wrong!

The only thing you've said that I agree with is "Think for yourself". As you've just proven though, you can't do that without learning from others.

See ya,
Milt
edit on 6-5-2012 by BenReclused because: Typo

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Everyone seems to be missing something....

The shirt says "Life is wasted without Jesus". That's as pro christian as it is anti everything else. I have worn shirts that portray Satan, though keep in mind i am neither satanist nor do i worship Satan in any way, and it sparked no feud. If he wore a shirt that said "I love Jesus" on it there wouldn't be this ordeal.

The shirt is a hateful message, whether this kid thinks it or not.

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 04:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Bodhi7

Thomas Jefferson and John Adams were openly against christianity.

That part of your statement is absolute nonsense!

Thomas Jefferson
Among the best-educated and most brilliant of the Founding Fathers, Jefferson is a focal point in this argument, since he had so much to say about religion. Jefferson was certainly a “Christian” in the sense that he placed great value in the teachings of Jesus Christ. But he was a Deist in rejecting most of the legend surrounding Jesus and in dismissing the supernatural aspects of Jesus’ career.

John Adams
John Adams was a Congregationalist foremost. His views became more Unitarian, as a result of New England Congregationalism’s veering into Unitarian country. (This is why it’s commonly said that Adams was a Unitarian.) He was definitely a religious man, however, his religion was strictly Unitarian and Universalist in flavor. This meant that, along with the aforementioned Jefferson, Paine, and Franklin, Adams reviled creed-based dogmatic religion. He rejected, as Jefferson did, specific doctrines such as the Trinity, the Virgin Birth, and more. So even though he cast aspersions on “that Blackguard Paine” for having dismissed religious institutions, it’s clear that he actually agreed with a great deal of what Paine had to say.

Source

See ya,
Milt

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by AuirOverrun
The shirt is a hateful message, whether this kid thinks it or not.

No, the message is not hateful in any way.

Please explain why do you think it is hateful.

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 10:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Maslo

At the very least it is unnnecessarily provocative in an environment where controversy should be avoided.

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 09:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Starchild23
I'm not Judaic in any way, and yet I will say that I believe this to be wrong. It's not a gang slogan, it's not a hateful message or slandering anyone, it's spreading a perfectly peaceful and happy message out...

And it's wrong? Are we not allowed to think for ourselves, or share beliefs? Let me guess, now they'll ban the word "Jesus" or "Christian" being mentioned in those schools...

I thought police state meant protecting the government against public dissent. Now, it's taking on a whole new meaning...no religion, no beliefs...are we going to abolish personality as well? Are we going to be a bunch of zombies good for nothing more than writing down our names and pressing buttons when told?

Someone said we'd devolve into monkeys someday. I guess they were right.

Interesting questions... I guess the answers are self evident, unless YOU and others on their keyboards (yup... Including me) get off our collective keyboards and do something active, actual, and non-virtual. Someone with more organizational skills than you or I, apparently, needs to get something organized, or we'll all still be sitting around and typing about it.

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 09:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Garfee
reply to post by Maslo

At the very least it is unnnecessarily provocative in an environment where controversy should be avoided.

This will probably be deleted for being provocative (Good Lord knows we don't need any of that here, or even in school)...

But what kind of "stuff" is that? Oh... Never mind... I really hate to shoot at this kind of stuff before my third cup of coffee.... Even when it makes this little sense.

edit on 5/7/12 by sigung86 because: couldn't spell "kind" correctly. Must learn to proof read prior to posting.

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 09:59 AM
link   
Well, once again we have a thread that has devolved into a bunch of name calling with usual "I'm not being offensive you are" bullpatties.

I vote it gets shut down because nothing's going to be accomplished here.

There's a lot of hypocrisy on both sides and people don't have the right to not be offended.

I'm incredibly frustrated with the stupid attitudes from both sides.

Here's a hint: it shouldn't matter what anybody believes, it's none of your business, so STOP TRYING TO IMPOSE YOUR WILL UPON EVERYBODY ELSE! America was founded on the principles of life, liberty, and the pursuit of hippyness, not conformity.

That goes for both atheists and Christians.

You're both full of farce.

new topics

top topics

<< 20  21  22    24  25  26 >>

join