It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Student's 'Jesus' shirt sparks feud with school

page: 22
<< 19  20  21    23  24  25 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by boymonkey74
reply to post by SearchLightsInc

I think they found out that Islam is the fastest growing Religion and they want to advertise more to get converts

The farce between Islam and Christianity is that here both interlinked - But christians dont like to talk about that

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 11:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Starchild23

Are you suggesting discrimination in our educational curriculum?

No, but I do fully support a full separation of Church and State, as in the U.S. Constitution, and U.S. Treaties and State Constitutions, (1787-1788) no reference to any God is to be found in the body or in the amendments to the Constitution. Also, no religious test shall ever be required as a qualification to any office or public trust under the United States. (Article VI, Section 3, The Constitution of the United States.)

In 1797, six years after the adoption of the Bill of Rights, the United States government signed a treaty with the Muslim nation of Tripoli that contained the following statement (numbered Article 11 in the treaty):

As the Government of the United States is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion; as it has in itself no character of enmity against the law, religion or tranquility of Musselmen; and as the states never have entered into any war or act of hostility against any Mohometan nation, it is declared by the parties that no pretext arising from religious opinion shall ever produce an interruption of harmony existing between the two countries.

So far as we can tell, the inclusion of these words in the treaty had no negative political ramifications for the treaty whatsoever. On the contrary, the treaty was approved by President John Adams and his Secretary of State Timothy Pickering, and was then ratified by the Senate without objection. According to an information sheet provided to us by Ed Buckner of the Atlanta Freethought Society:

The Journal of the Executive Proceedings of the United States Senate clearly specifies that the treaty was read aloud on the floor of the Senate and that copies of the treaty were printed "for the use of the Senate." Nor is it plausible to argue that perhaps Senators voted for the treaty without being aware of the famous words. The treaty was quite short, requiring only two or three pages to reprint in most treaty books today--and printed, in its entirely, on but one page (sometimes the front page) of U.S. newspapers of the day. The lack of any recorded argument about the wording, as well as the unanimous vote and the and the wide reprinting of the words in the press of 1797, suggests that the idea that the government was not a Christian one was widely and easily accepted at the time.
source

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 12:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Garfee

Let them express themselves outside of school.

That's a rather ludicruos view to force on students when the SOLE PURPOSE of education is to teach those students how to "express themselves", and how to INTERPRET the EXPRESSIONS of others.

And by the way - if another kid wore an 'I support gay marriage' t-shirt, I'd bet good money the jesus one would be screaming bloody murder.

I'd be willing to bet that if the kid were suspended for wearing a shirt that said "I support gay marriage", YOU would be "screaming bloody murder".

Funny how double standards are allowed in religion.

I find it amusing that those that use the term "double standards" the most, are often the biggest hypocrites of all. Your statement seems to imply that you are one of them.

See ya,
Milt

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 01:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Garfee

I see no reason why school kids should be wearing inflamatory or provocative slogans or pictures on their clothing.

Some people may see the color red as being inflamatory, and others may feel that pink is provocative, so we better get rid of colors too...

Uh oh... Many people feel that clothing is a form of "self expression", so I reckon that banning clothing would be a better idea...

Oh crap! Many see nudity as being provocative... I reckon we had better just close the damn schools down! Would that work for you?

See ya,
Milt
edit on 5-5-2012 by BenReclused because: Typo

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Speaking of insecurity, if christians loved their god and religion so much they wouldn't have to make/wear shirts that promote it. The message it gives is that you need everyone else to validate your beliefs. Why not just believe, be content with your view point of life and wear a normal tee-shirt to school?

What would a "normal tee-shirt" be?

Hum... Mind boggling...

See ya,
Milt

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 01:31 PM
link   

The farce between Islam and Christianity is that here both interlinked - But christians dont like to talk about that

The farce between Islam and Christianity is that atheists don't like to insult them equally... You didn't... But atheists don't like to talk about that!

See ya,
Milt

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by BenReclused

Speaking of insecurity, if christians loved their god and religion so much they wouldn't have to make/wear shirts that promote it. The message it gives is that you need everyone else to validate your beliefs. Why not just believe, be content with your view point of life and wear a normal tee-shirt to school?

What would a "normal tee-shirt" be?

Hum... Mind boggling...

See ya,
Milt

Your right, i shouldnt have used the word "normal" how about a plain T-shirt? or if you wanna be radical, one with a nice pattern on it? Anything except a T-shirt that promotes your beliefs that a man in the sky made the world a couple thousand years ago

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by BenReclused

The farce between Islam and Christianity is that atheists don't like to insult them equally... You didn't... But atheists don't like to talk about that!

See ya,
Milt

To appease you, i state that all orgainised religions (including christianity and islam) are a farce and have most certainly held humanity back form advancing at a faster pace because organised religion dont.like.science - Unless it actually supports your beliefs that earth is the centre of the universe and a man in the cloud has a list of all the good people and all the bad people and the bad ones are going to a very bad place and all the good people are going to a very good place!

Christianity stole many pagan idea's - You dont like to talk about that either

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Your right, i shouldnt have used the word "normal" how about a plain T-shirt? or if you wanna be radical, one with a nice pattern on it?

Those suggestions would be fine, as long as they applied to everyone, including teachers.

Anything except a T-shirt that promotes your beliefs that a man in the sky made the world a couple thousand years ago

Your bigotry is showing again...

See ya,
Milt

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 05:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by SearchLightsInc

To appease you, I state that all organized religions (including Christianity and Islam) are a farce and have most certainly held humanity back form advancing at a faster pace because organized religion doesn't like.science

I am Atheist. I was raised Christian. I do not reference Islam because I have zero knowledge of it. Why would I slam something I am completely ignorant about? I also don't reference Judaism because I am completely ignorant of that belief.

Christianity is the dominant religion in American that tries to force itself in/on all aspects of this country.

I've watch the change in Christian dominants over the last 40 years or so. I've watched their power dominance legally diminish. They are losing the battle - - - and the more scared they get - - the more they push.

Again - - as an Atheist who was raised Christian -- and considered myself Christian until just the last few years - - - I speak of what I know - - which is Christianity.

What's really annoying is Christians telling Athetist's what they think and believe. They should not reference what they are ignorant of.

I am 100% in support of separation of church and state - - which includes public school.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

The more they push? Damn, kid wears a t-shirt, they must be desperate. As to Islam, you had sure better start getting informed, because they have an agenda - and if they get the upper hand, you are in for a treat.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 06:19 PM
link   

To appease you, i state that all orgainised religions (including christianity and islam) are a farce and have most certainly held humanity back form advancing at a faster pace because organised religion dont.like.science - Unless it actually supports your beliefs that earth is the centre of the universe and a man in the cloud has a list of all the good people and all the bad people and the bad ones are going to a very bad place and all the good people are going to a very good place!

That's not an appeasement! That was no less than blatant attempt to force your beliefs on me!

Furthermore, your presumption regarding my beliefs couldn't have been any further from the truth! I am not a religious person! Considering your propensity to jump to conclusions, I would imagine most of your opinions are a farce.

Christianity stole many pagan idea's - You dont like to talk about that either

I don't really care where Christians "stole" their ideas from, but once again you jumped to another wrong conclusion about me. At least you're consistent when "speaking from your ass".

See ya,
Milt

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 07:17 PM
link   
To solve this problem Christians should become like the Muslims by this I mean anytime they are confronted or offended by other people they should threaten to cut their heads off or kill their families and such then the Christians would be left alone like the Muslims.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by MidnightTide
reply to post by Annee

The more they push? Damn, kid wears a t-shirt, they must be desperate. As to Islam, you had sure better start getting informed, because they have an agenda - and if they get the upper hand, you are in for a treat.

Are you personally knowledgeable of Islam?

I am personally knowledgeable of Fundamental Christian Behavior.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 08:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

Personally done some research in the matter, some of my friends are what you would call moderate Muslims. I am not saying that all Muslims are extremist, but there is a significant portions that are. But that is beside the point. I don't mind if a person is a Muslim, Jew or whatever flavor of religion / ethnic group they are. I could do without any of it but if someone wants to wear a shirt saying whatever baloney they believe in then whatever turns your crank. As long as they are not physically pushing it onto someone do what you want.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 08:19 PM
link   
I don't understand why this is even a discussion, the problem is that the student was wearing a shirt that attacked anyone not Christian, should he have taken the advice of the principal and wear a shirt that says "MY life is wasted without Jesus" he wouldn't have been suspended.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 08:21 PM
link   
keep religion out of schools, thank you very much

there is a time and a place to express your religious views and school isn't one of them

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 08:22 PM
link   
reply to post by syrinx high priest

Or allow all religions. Why should I be offended by anyone's religion as long as I can be equally represented.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 08:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by MidnightTide
reply to post by Annee

Personally done some research in the matter, some of my friends are what you would call moderate Muslims. I am not saying that all Muslims are extremist, but there is a significant portions that are. But that is beside the point.

How is that beside the point?

You are the one making derogatory remarks about Islam.

I don't mind if a person is a Muslim, Jew or whatever flavor of religion / ethnic group they are. I could do without any of it but if someone wants to wear a shirt saying whatever baloney they believe in then whatever turns your crank. As long as they are not physically pushing it onto someone do what you want.

In America (yes I know this was Canada) - - separation of church and state includes public schools.

Canada has laws against insulting others - - - or something like that. People complained.

edit on 5-5-2012 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 08:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blissed
reply to post by syrinx high priest

Or allow all religions. Why should I be offended by anyone's religion as long as I can be equally represented.

You may get your wish.

This student has won his case to wear his T-shirt.

Let's now see what other students believe - - - as they don their T's - - - and if they get the same support.

top topics

<< 19  20  21    23  24  25 >>

join