It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Student's 'Jesus' shirt sparks feud with school

page: 20
<< 17  18  19    21  22  23 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 07:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

See you quoted me out of context here is full context

Religion is a part of life for millions and is everywhere.
I say it should be discussed - I am not saying saying it should be preached and there lays the difference.
To deny or ban does not make the problem go away it merely outcasts and causes resentment that confirms true or false facts -
So far the only solution forwarded is censorship
What else should be banned from school discussion?
Should we also ban such subjects from ATS

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 07:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by DrChuck
reply to post by Annee

Proposition 8 is disgusting and stupid in all levels of hell. But it doesn't mean Christians should be denied a simple right of expression. And being denied equal rights should not grant "special rights" privileges that others cannot also enjoy, especially a fundamental right of speech/expression.

Equal Human Rights is not Special Rights.

And it is not religious.

As said - - - even in legal prop 8 arguments - - - religion was not allowed as a legitimate argument.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 07:56 PM
link   
You are seeing 1984 in full effect here, and it is disgusting. Oh no, someone might be offended - can't have that. This is PURE group think at work.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 08:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by MidnightTide
You are seeing 1984 in full effect here, and it is disgusting. Oh no, someone might be offended - can't have that. This is PURE group think at work.

I'd say its more the school has rules and the kid is being a jerk.

Where are his parents? I suppose they support his behavior.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 08:12 PM
link   
Here is another high school situation of expression and how the Christians reacted.

I've been on forums for 20 years. Don't even try to "yank my chain" - - that Christians are all A'OK with freedom of expression - - - that they don't approve of.

After ‘It’s OK To Be Gay’ Article Appears in High School Yearbook, One Christian Administrator Wants the Faculty Sponsor Fired or Arrested

May 4, 2012 By Hemant Mehta

Remember Krystal Myers? She’s the teenager who wrote an article for her school newspaper entitled “No Rights: The Life of an Atheist,” about how her school actively promoted religion and discriminated against atheists… only to have her administration tell her the article would not be allowed to run because… well… you know.

Her school, Lenior City High School, is back in the news. Once again, it’s not for a good reason…

When the yearbooks were distributed last Friday, they included an article called “It’s OK to be Gay” featuring gay student Zac Mitchell talking about how his family has known all his life that he was gay and how, even though he has been bullied, his friends have been pretty accepting of him:

So, naturally, everyone in the community is horrified:

According to students, petitions were being circulated urging others to tear the page from their yearbook as a sign of protest during graduation or to deny Mitchell the right to attend the ceremony.

The 17-year-old student who wrote the article said she was afraid to have her name published.

“There have been threats made starting with, ‘If I found out who wrote the story,’ ” she said.

Not only that, Loudon County school board member Van Shaver is calling for criminal investigations into journalism teacher James Yoakley, the faculty sponsor of the yearbook:

www.patheos.com... ts-the-faculty-sponsor-fired-or-arrested/

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 08:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Starchild23

Hold on. Religion is an innate part of our country...our country was founded based upon Christianity

How can you say the US was funded upon Christianity when the early Christians commited genocide on the local populations. It sounds like a contradiction in terms to me.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 08:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by purplemer

Hold on. Religion is an innate part of our country...our country was founded based upon Christianity

How can you say the US was funded upon Christianity when the early Christians commited genocide on the local populations. It sounds like a contradiction in terms to me.

Good reason to teach what religion is and has done in schools then if it is a part of history

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 08:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by JohnnyCanuck

You simply hate and don't want Christians to have any rights, since they are one of the strongest anti-gay entities...pure and simple. The very equality you so strongly wish gays had you equally wish Christians lose.

A pro-gay shirt does not propose "I'm right and you're not" The shirt in question made that statement about Christianity. Pro-gay messages are generally about tolerance. "A day without Jesus is a day wasted" is most decidedly not.

Like I said, the good Lord above never said "Thou Shalt Not Think".

Even if a shirt proposed a "I'm right, you're not" message, what does it matter? Does it really affect another persons life to the extent that it should be banned?

To force someone to not wear such shirts because it offends is no different than banning gay marriage because its against someone elses religion. I might as well push for ban on cookies because I'm on a diet.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 08:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

Originally posted by MidnightTide

I'd say its more the school has rules and the kid is being a jerk.

Where are his parents? I suppose they support his behavior.

I wouldn't have my child to go to a school like that. The kid just wants to express himself, to express his thoughts, beliefs and religion. If the t-shirt said something about Islam, like THERE IS NO WAY TO KINGDOM OF HEAVEN EXCEPT THROUGH ALLAH WITH MOHAMMED AS HIS PROPHET, I bet you nothing would have been said. What about Sikh students being allowed to bring daggers to school, because it is their religion. I can go on but this # pisses me off, just throw in a minority or some special interest group nothing is ever said (and if you do you are called a racist)

I heard some of the students in that school say they were offended by the t-shirt, that he preaches his religion to other students. Where are these kids parents? How did they raise children that are so emotionally fragile? Don't like what is on a t-shirt, then don't like it....don't talk to the student. When I was in high school I had some kids who preached their religion and not being Christian I really didn't care for it - BUT SO WHAT, I ignored it.

People disagree and so what, grow a backbone and go on with your life.

Originally posted by purplemer

So what? Are you suggesting that Christianity is the only religion that has commited heinous acts in their past? People may not like it, but yes - Canada and the USA is based on Christianity. If I moved to India and said I am offended by Hindu references, where do you think that would get me.

edit on 4-5-2012 by MidnightTide because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 08:24 PM
link   
This is always great. It would probably be the same situation if a kid wore an pro atheist t shirt. Overall the school shouldn't have taken his shirt away. It's not like he's offending anyone, and if your offended by letters on a t shirt, well I'm not sure if there's any hope left for you. There is a big difference between religion in school, and a kid wearing a Jesus t shirt.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 08:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kang69
. . . It's not like he's offending anyone, and if your offended by letters on a t shirt,

Did you bother to read the article?

People complained.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 08:29 PM
link   

reply to post by Annee

Proposition 8 is disgusting and stupid in all levels of hell. But it doesn't mean Christians should be denied a simple right of expression. And being denied equal rights should not grant "special rights" privileges that others cannot also enjoy, especially a fundamental right of speech/expression.

Equal Human Rights is not Special Rights.

And it is not religious.

As said - - - even in legal prop 8 arguments - - - religion was not allowed as a legitimate argument.

I never said equal human rights were special rights. I was pointing out the fact that you believe Christians should have their rights denied because the ban on gay marriage.

I have absolutely no idea why you keep bringing up Prop 8, can you please expand on your statement
"even in legal prop 8 arguments - - - religion was not allowed as a legitimate argument."

A legitimate argument for/against what? At least put it in context please...

edit on 4-5-2012 by DrChuck because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 08:29 PM
link   
Nike sports logos could be deemed as offensive also - as they use child labour - don't see anyone kicking up a fuss about them

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 08:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

I'm not sure why you keep going back to this. Is it because some very valid points where made that again people that follow Christs teachings really are tolerant? Seriously I have expressed several times. I can't stand religion but I do believe in the teachings of Christ which is simply. God IS LOVE and to treat those around you as yourself. You must not understand the difference between religious zealots and those who truly try to follow the teachings as they are so simple.

I'm a believer.... and I say again I don't care what shirt you wear at all. Something vulgar could be at times a bit awkward at certain events I suppose ehehe. But as for myself and a believer in Christ again for the RECORD. I'm all for freedom of expression. That includes shirts that say "Jesus is a *#$%*#$ "or a shirt that says "gays rule" . It is your right as a human being to express yourself in any manner you so choose! If I was even at an organized religious service (which I don't like for the most part because they are so messed up these days) but lets just say that I was perhaps I'm there as a hireling or perhaps I'm there to find like minded followers of Christ that operate in service to others. EVEN if you wore a shirt that says "I love SATAN" I would most likely laugh because it would be so silly and might I add shocking to the really super religions folks.

BUT I this believer would not even ask you to remove it and I would treat you no different I would silently pray for this person because I would think it's an act of pure rebellion or something just to get attention or maybe even a cry for help.

So now .. I'm a jerking your chain? I mean really. Have all of you ever even encountered a person that is really following the teachings of Jesus Christ or have you only known or read on religious nuts?

As a follower of Christ I'm still for freedom of expression completely and without compromise. It starting to be apparent who is intolerant.

Like someone said this is the 1984 thing at least the start of it. Look around there is an article about only the religions nuts everywhere. You won't hear about anyone that is really trying to help others in the name of Christ that's for sure. Now do I count I have said it many times in this thread. I'm for complete freedom of expression and I believe.

I wanted to add this this is more than 1984 this is the birth pains of something much darker. It's everywhere. Jesus said that the world hated him without a cause and would hate us believers without a cause. In a very very basic form this is again validating Jesus Christs words as true. A day is coming that all people believing in Jesus Christ the manifested creator of the universe will be killed for simply believing. That's what this is all leading up to. I know you don't believe that most likely. But just for a moment lets do the "what if" thing. What if that is the case .. what side are you really on? Would you do harm to innocent lives? Will you stand by and let the Government take away the rights of Christians and your rights just because you don't believe. That is what your doing by endorsing that someone should not be allowed to wear a shirt because it "offends" you. All you pro researchers did you somehow miss the part where Jesus said "Whoa unto the world for offenses!" Is that just by chance that Jesus said that and we see the world no focused on such things? I think no.

edit on 5/4/2012 by firegoggles because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 08:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by IronArm

Originally posted by RadioactiveRob
reply to post by milkyway12

Why should you have freedom of religion when your beliefs have hindered the mental and cultural development of humanity for 2000 years? A serious study must be done on the psychological problems caused by Christianity, and how it can be reversed and in time abolished completely. Then of course some benevolent, non-fear based beliefs should replace it. I don't know how this is going to be accomplished but Christianity is a parasite and a symptom of a greed based monetary system, gone with these irrelevant superstitions and the aberrant behavior it manifests.

....This is bullocks. What does Christianity have to do with greed based monetary systems? Do Christians run the world banks? I think not. Do we inspire fear? When was the last time that you heard of Christians carrying on with a beaheading or a bombing? And please tell me, how do you abolish a belief system held by millions?

What does Christianity have to do with a greed based monetary system? Why else do you think people are indoctrinated with fear that if they don't uphold the Christian perspective of the universe, that they will go to hell and suffer for all eternity? This all has to do with retaining membership, breeding fanatics that go around spreading this crap, and thus bringing more tithes to the church.

Do we inspire fear?

Why are you even asking? You're a Christian aren't you? You should know better, how many times have you been told, or told others, that they will go to hell for all eternity if they don't believe in Christ? I can't imagine a fear worse than being afraid of being tortured and burned forever in the afterlife. Of course this inspires fear, if this variable were removed from Christianity there wouldn't be any Christians. Christians spread this religion because they live in fear that they will go to hell if they don't.

When was the last time that you heard of Christians carrying on with a beaheading or a bombing?

Do you know anything about the history of Christianity? It may surprise you to know your religion has a long, long history of bigotry, fanatacism, murder, torture and cruelty in the name of Jesus Christ.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 08:38 PM
link   
reply to post by RadioactiveRob

So what? Christianity has some dark times, basically all religions out there have nasty events.

This event is telling us that you are unable to express an opinion is isn't generally accepted by the public.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 08:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kang69
. . . It's not like he's offending anyone, and if your offended by letters on a t shirt,

Did you bother to read the article?

People complained.

So if people complained, it warrants infringing on the teenagers right to expression/speech?

Again, by your logic, right to marriage for gays should be banned...because people complained.
edit on 4-5-2012 by DrChuck because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 08:51 PM
link   
Did you know that there is a by-law passed in the city of Toronto that does not allow people to say "Merry Christmas" because the word "Christ" offends muslims?

Do you think if the word allah was written on that t-shirt, the school administrators would even dare to complain?

How is it, that in the United States, muslims can burn the flag and cry "death to America" but a kid in Canada can't wear a t-shirt about Jesus.

I know a muslim and he won't shake my hand and he thinks my brother is the devil because he is left-handed...no kidding.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 08:57 PM
link   
reply to post by RadioactiveRob

I'm a universalist Christian as there are many and more and more are understanding this view on it all.

I don't believe in hell. If there is some form of punishment it will only be for period of time.

Even the passage that mentioned a lake of fire forever and ever and all that stuff is properly translated as an "Aeon" or an AGE every single occurrence of this word in the bible means 1000s years.

What kind of Creator would create billions upon billion of people to burn them in a lake of fire for all of eternity? Not our creator.

What kind of father would punish his child for an ETERNITY? No loving father would do this nor would the CREATOR of the universe do this! He may give some form of punishment but ALWAYS and I mean always when God's fire is spoke of right next to that you have that his fire that purifies. This is how God will set the entire universe straight. ALL things will be in union with him and restored they way the universe is meant to evolve

It wouldn't be the "good news" if I say hi Jesus died for you and your going to hell!? What kind of "good news" is that?

The "Good News" part is that by what Jesus did fixed it ALL and you don't have to worry or keep coming back down here on earth and endless cycles being a battery for the rebel beings that are playing God and feeding of your soul.

I hope this sheds light upon how grossly misunderstood this all has been since Constantine and the council implemented there own interpretation but even so somehow God has managed to encode the message in the scripture. But it doesn't matter because with the people in communion with LOVE or God it is written upon our hearts and minds. We don't have to rely and dead letters.

Thank you.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by murway
Did you know that there is a by-law passed in the city of Toronto that does not allow people to say "Merry Christmas" because the word "Christ" offends muslims?

Citation, please, or it didn't happen.
2'nd line.

top topics

<< 17  18  19    21  22  23 >>

join