It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Student's 'Jesus' shirt sparks feud with school

page: 15
<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 07:22 AM
link   
The kid should not wear the shirt to school again. He made his point, and Scripturally he should follow the laws of the land as long as they do not contradict the Christian faith. Changing his shirt is not a contradiction.

If I were him however my first day back I would write complaint for every single shirt at school that MIGHT offend someone somewhere somehow and turn it in to the school principal, and continue doing so every day.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 07:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by jjkenobi
The kid should not wear the shirt to school again. He made his point, and Scripturally he should follow the laws of the land as long as they do not contradict the Christian faith. Changing his shirt is not a contradiction.

If I were him however my first day back I would write complaint for every single shirt at school that MIGHT offend someone somewhere somehow and turn it in to the school principal, and continue doing so every day.

AWESOME point.

It states clearly in the bible, numerous times, that devote Christians should follow the law of the land, even if they don't personally agree.

So clearly this isn't even a debate over religion...
At least it shouldn't be, if Christians read the Bible.

This is just a kid wanting to wear whatever he wants, and whining that he can't.

America is blind to rationality.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 07:39 AM
link   
Canada's school system is very different from states;

*People from multiple backgrounds,

*School and religion don't mix (there are catholic school)

*Equal rights for everyone

*Education comes first

imo This slogan seems as a way to pick fight with other students who may not have the same belif or may not even belief in a god. i would be irritated because i don't believe in a god, but for a person of other backgrounds, i would be like "my god is better, your god just sucks, and believe in my god if you want a meaning for your life".

If its says "Jesus is Love" or "Jesus is great" i don't think anyone would be offended.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 07:42 AM
link   
post removed because the user has no concept of manners

Click here for more information.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 08:10 AM
link   
reply to post by IronArm

Unbelievable. This would have been unthinkable during our grandparents' time. The West has truly entered the twilight zone.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 08:41 AM
link   

And what if the student wore a shirt that said: Satan Rules?

More power to 'em. If a kid wears any kind of message shirt, they are doing it for a reason, most likely to get attention. So, let them have the attention (and any negatives that come with it). How else does one learn?

Religion does not need to be a part of public school.

Agreed, but outlawing it shouldn't be a part of public school either...and this is coming from an Agnostic.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 08:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

Good post mate

It's the responsibility of the school to tell all parties to piss off.
I don't see anything wrong in a kid wearing Satan rules, Jesus saves or My Little Pony.
Doesn't make a difference really.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 08:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

Originally posted by Starchild23
reply to post by Annee

There were complaints because he was expressing an opinion that was distasteful to a politically correct school afraid of censure.

He decided to voice his beliefs, spreading love and worship, which is completely harmless, instead of being a fearful sheep. Is there something wrong with this?

Some schools do allow students to wear "self expression" T-shirts.

Christians have tried to ban Pro Gay shirts.

Christians don't get it that not everyone welcomes Jesus.

And yet others do not understand that our Charter of Rights and Freedoms allows for this belief and expression.

People should be able to say anything they like and exercise their expression rights as well.

Do you not see the contradiction between being against Christians trying (and failing) to ban pro-homosexual t-shirts and being for non-Christians trying (and succeeding) to ban pro-Christian t-shirts? (I have no religious association of any kind so please do not label me as some pro-religion zealot)

I can not and will not ever agree that our Fundamental Freedoms should be put down because something may have offended someone, no matter how foul, ignorant, enlightened or genius the offending act may be or who is offended as a result. (and, yes. I do understand we do not actually have Freedom of Speech due to the restrictions contained within the Hate Speech law)

Our rights do not extend to not be offended.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 08:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by thegagefather
Atheism is a religion. Belief is what makes religion, and that's the ONLY thing that makes religion

You can show me why you believe in your version of God...but you can't show me God. I can't show you God either. That's why yours is a belief and mine is an assertion. I will not continue this conversation as it is derailing the thread. If you wish to pursue it further, u2u me, please.

The kid's shirt? "In your face with my religion! I'm right, you're wrong, neener-neener-neener!" Folks have a right to tell him to take it somewhere else. It's a provocative message. It worked. He can shut up now.

As I said...I think he has that adolescent 'Fight Authority' thing a little gibbled. Even the Amish get a Rumspringa.
edit on 4-5-2012 by JohnnyCanuck because: ...just because...ok?

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 08:55 AM
link   
The kid has guts. The world can't stop us, if we go to jail fo what we believe then so be it but they will not stop us. They couldn't do it 2000 years ago they won't do it today.

Go kid, say it loud and proud

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 09:02 AM
link   
reply to post by IronArm

whattt listen but dont get upset about the muslim kids wearing full body armour because thats how the illuminati want you to think they want religions colours area codes ect to all fall out and hate each other so we ignore them. watch and be prepared, accept fact if it is so bad.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 09:09 AM
link   
I think if this type of cloth was worn in schools in Toronto area, i'm sure we will see lot of religion bashing cloths the next day until the school bans all of them.

That is a negative expression and a loaded slogan, it does not only promote but bashes others beliefs in the process.

How would people react if this was a race issue "Life is wasted unless you are a ", i would love to see that pop up in schools or in fact anywhere in the streets.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 09:33 AM
link   
Everyone wasting more than 30 seconds posting on such a non-issue belongs to be court martialed and locked away for many years due to being guilty of wasting precious resources.

Someone wearing a frackin' Jesus Shirt .. seriously .. aren't there more important issues at hand ?

Featured on the ATS front-page. Ridiculous.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 09:36 AM
link   
The real solution in all of this would be for people to grow a damned backbone, and not go whining to the state every time they saw something that got their panties in a bunch...

So a shirt offends you...deal with it, and move on...jeez folks.

I've certainly read much worse on a t-shirt before...

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 09:51 AM
link   
reply to post by IronArm

Don't blame the people for that, blame the spineless, elbow rubbing, back scratching politicians that make the rules.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 09:55 AM
link   
I'm atheist and I think that if this guy wants to wear a t-shirt that rams bronze-age mythology down everyone's throats, he should be allowed. There's no laws against being a wanker... right

IRM

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ilyich
reply to post by IronArm

Foolish Du'an, our day will come. We will get drunk on christian blood. When the sun goes dark, don't bother locking the door. You've been warned, no longer will you suppress the others.

Is this guy for real? That seems quite...theat-ish. No worries. I think I'm good with my guns. That and my history of bodybuilding.
Still....pretty funny.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by RadioactiveRob
reply to post by milkyway12

Why should you have freedom of religion when your beliefs have hindered the mental and cultural development of humanity for 2000 years? A serious study must be done on the psychological problems caused by Christianity, and how it can be reversed and in time abolished completely. Then of course some benevolent, non-fear based beliefs should replace it. I don't know how this is going to be accomplished but Christianity is a parasite and a symptom of a greed based monetary system, gone with these irrelevant superstitions and the aberrant behavior it manifests.

....This is bullocks. What does Christianity have to do with greed based monetary systems? Do Christians run the world banks? I think not. Do we inspire fear? When was the last time that you heard of Christians carrying on with a beaheading or a bombing? And please tell me, how do you abolish a belief system held by millions?

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 10:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Annee

Wearing a t-shirt that expresses one's PERSONAL beliefs is not making religion or spirituality a part of public school.

Every one has the freedom to choose what they want to believe or what they do not believe. Wearing a t-shirt doesn't impose or project beliefs onto another person. It is simply a person saying I believe this and I am proud of it.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 10:10 AM
link   
I find this sort of thing crazy hypocritical! Either everyone can fully express their religion in what they say/wear, or, to avoid discrimination no-one should. If every muslim female at the school suddenly came in full burkha the whole time you bet the christian folk would start complaining how it was wrong. what about bhuddist or hari krishna kids showing up in orange robes? Keep that kind of stuff out of schools or don't complain when other religions want to do the same regardless of how outrageous their customary dress.

As for the argument about 'building a country on Christianity' what a load of nonsense. Part of civilisation (as we western cultures see it) is about separating the state from religion. Only by doing this can we start to live together peacefully. Iran is the perfect example, a beautiful vibrant country that is sadly directed down some dark paths due to it's inability to separate the state from the religion.

I wouldn't be offended in the slightest by any t-shirts in school, christian. satan, mulsim or whatever. But it has to be a level playing field either way.

top topics

<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join