It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Student's 'Jesus' shirt sparks feud with school

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 10:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Foxy1

Yeah, the madman analogy was an extreme example, not trying to be over-dramatic or that but a line needs to be drawn somewhere so that people can co-exist and tolerale one another, rules are necessary.

You['re right though, we've had some instances in the UK in the past where kids weren't allowed to wear neclaces with crucifixes, etc yet muslim kids we allowed to attend school in burkha's with their faces covered, etc.

School should be about education, pure and simple...kids nowadays think it's a fashion show, and that the clothes they wear define their personality, strange times.

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 10:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Foxy1
reply to post by samerulesapply

you see thats just the thing majority rule. If we were lead under a nation where madmen were the 90% according to them the 10% would be considered different or crazy "madmen"
i think whats going on here is the whiplash of a melting pot society.
Same like the race differences (byproduct of meltingpot) blacks get scholoarships to school for being black so do native americans but whites dont get a grant for being white. (im not even going to mention the zimmerman case)(or why we have websites called blacknews.com but nothing called whitenews.com)
our society is starting to favor the minorities of the mainstream thinking or race to compensate for the meltingpot problems according to majority rule.

So keeping that line of thinking, most americans are christian but in favor of the melting pot working we must compensate.

In conclusion we are not an advanced enough people to set our personal petty differences aside to have a melting pot society (America)
edit on 3-5-2012 by Foxy1 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 10:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Foxy1
What if a student stopped bathing and got a complaint? Could the school just as easily over turn a stinky person as a clean person wearing a jesus t shirt that only offended someone if they read it? Probally not...

If im not mistaken rastafarians dont wash their hair due to religion beliefs

I think you'll find that Rastafarians do bathe, and wash their hair, but don't use products on their hair. If they are wearing dreadlocks, it's due to not combing it. It's nothing to do with how clean it is.
Note that the student in question, a teenager (hormones/sweat etc.) wore the same shirt for two weeks. Rastafarians are very clean. They just don't smell like the ground floor of Macy's.

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 10:46 PM
link   
Humanism is alive and well in Nova Scotia

A 'Without God' ad has proven too controversial for Halifax transit.

Humanist Canada wanted to place ads on Metro Transit buses with the slogan, "You can be good without God."

www.cbc.ca...

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 10:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Badgered1

my apologies then. ive only been in jamaica a month so far and was under the impression rastas didnt wash their hair.

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 11:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by samerulesapply
reply to post by LoneCloudHopper

I don't think it's possible for exeryone to co-exist in a world where we all get our own way and dictate the world around us.

Exactly! If we can't do something just because someone is offended then we'll all end up wearing gray shirts with no words or logos. It's insane. Everyone has a RIGHT to speech and expression in this country, period (that's a rule that supersedes any that a school makes up!

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 11:21 PM
link   
I have read 9 pages so far, and felt really compelled to post something so here it is:
1.) I am 52 years old.
2.) Guys have told me they are offended when they see other guys wear pink.
3.) Guys have told me they are offended when they see a girl in blue-jeans.
4.) Girls have told me they are offended when they see a guy with feminine traits.
5.) Girls have told me they are offended when they catch a guy looking at their breasts.
6.) Everyone says they are offended when obese girls wear a short skirt in public.
7.) Everyone says they are offended by loud voices.
8.) Everyone says they are offended by "Holier than thou" folks.
9.) Everyone says they are offended by lazy people.
10.) Everyone says they are offended by anyone who disagrees with their opinion.

My question is where do the guys, girls, and everyone go to school? Should be a lot of people getting suspended where ever they go. I believe in Christ and I am not ashamed of it. I pray for those who do not "walk with God", and if I'm wrong, NO HARM DONE. Read the article, he was told to stop wearing the shirt long before he was suspended. Christ said the last days would be like it is today. I'm ok if you are wearing a "Satan T-shirt", but I will be compelled to try and be an example for you. If we are concerned about offending people there should, at the very least, be compliance.

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 11:34 PM
link   
reply to post by IronArm

Foolish Du'an, our day will come. We will get drunk on christian blood. When the sun goes dark, don't bother locking the door. You've been warned, no longer will you suppress the others.

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 11:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ilyich
reply to post by IronArm

Foolish Du'an, our day will come. We will get drunk on christian blood. When the sun goes dark, don't bother locking the door. You've been warned, no longer will you suppress the others.

Are you making a death threat here, Ilyich, or is this a sick joke?

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 11:48 PM
link   

Swinimer says the principal would have accepted a shirt with the slogan, "My life is wasted without Jesus." "But I didn't go for that because I have my rights as a Canadian citizen," Swinimer said.

How is this anti-Christian or anti-religious expression?

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 11:57 PM
link   
Good, I hope the time is coming when humanity purges itself of all irrelevant superstitions and intellectual diseases like Christianity, Islam, and whatever other trashy belief systems that exploit people. Culture around the world would probably be a lot better if these religions were replaced with philosophical concepts that aren't dogmatic and exploitative.

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 11:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Starchild23
reply to post by Annee

Hold on. Religion is an innate part of our country...our country was founded based upon Christianity. Christianity plays a key role in a huge part of our history. Religion plays a key role in the whole world.

So we're going to teach about ancient Egyptian gods, but not about Christianity? That's discrimination.

Are you suggesting discrimination in our educational curriculum?

What? When was this? You're talking about Canada, right?

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 12:04 AM
link   
I don't believe in Jesus but you should be able to wear whatever you want especially if it isn't purposefully trying to offend anybody. Suspending the kid? Sending him home for the day if he didn't wanna take it off I could see but suspending him seems harsh and ridiculous.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 12:08 AM
link   
reply to post by IronArm

How different is that from "The unbelievers deserve death".

IF life is completely usless without jesus... then in that christians mind wouldnt that person be better off dead?

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 12:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Texasbud

yes complaiance should have been the soulution.
not suspending him.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 12:18 AM
link   
Again I say, if it wouldve said mohammed instead of Jesus, this would not be an issue.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 12:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Annee

Wait what? My faith belongs any where i go. Its called Freedom of Religion. Symbolic expression is also protected under Freedom of speech.

If i want to wear a T-Shirt that says Jesus on it , i will. It is my God-given right to wear it.

I am willing to die for my rights , are you ?

---------------------------------------------------------------

Freedom of religion is a principle that supports the freedom of an individual or community, in public or private. Look it up please.

Dont attend a Public school if you dont like it.

edit on 4-5-2012 by milkyway12 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 12:40 AM
link   
reply to post by milkyway12

Why should you have freedom of religion when your beliefs have hindered the mental and cultural development of humanity for 2000 years? A serious study must be done on the psychological problems caused by Christianity, and how it can be reversed and in time abolished completely. Then of course some benevolent, non-fear based beliefs should replace it. I don't know how this is going to be accomplished but Christianity is a parasite and a symptom of a greed based monetary system, gone with these irrelevant superstitions and the aberrant behavior it manifests.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 12:45 AM
link   
reply to post by RadioactiveRob

If they ever tried to abolish freedom of religion or Christianity. Id most likely , pick up a gun , and do what i gotta do to defend my beliefs.

Also , how is Christianity the parasite when we are the Majority of the world's religion? Wouldnt it be the minority 'technically' that is the parasite?

Give me Freedom or Give me death. Considering i have been almost blown up once , dying isn't the bad part , its living through it that is.

-------------------

I am not real sure where you get your opinions from , unless you lived in the 10th or so century. This is the 21st century , come back to reality.
edit on 4-5-2012 by milkyway12 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 12:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Badgered1

It seems to me that people are making a big fuss about this because it made claims about Christian belief. Most are Christians who seem to feel that if their religion is 'attacked' like this, it's a violation of rights, free speech, or some similar hogwash. If someone wore a T-shirt saying, "Your God doesn't exist!" would you see this as an expression of free speech? Of course not, because it's against your beliefs. You'd be screaming at the school district.

Not me personally, like I said, I wore the "God Hates us All" shirt a lot, and I am a Christian.

I think its well within anyones rights to wear non-caustic articles of clothing.

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join