It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Homemade STF ballistics armor!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 02:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by it4lian
Lemme

lol lemmings

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 08:40 AM
link   
reply to post by TheLastStand

Strg + F -> "armour" ...something about page 800 but like the whole book its hard to read...

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 10:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Hessdalen

That's ok later I'll make some vids to make it easier and hopefully after that I'll see a mob of angry protestors wearing the stuff.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 04:20 PM
link   

I'm working with a friend to create a similar suit, but with a few deviations back to ancient armor. Ours will have shoulder, armpit, and upper arm coverage as well as upper thigh coverage. it will have reinforced breast and backbone plates, and in addition to being resistant, it will also be shaped to deflect any attacks and provide other tactical support such as carbiners and weapons.

He has been doing a lot of pre-work on it with kevlar and carbon fiber, but this seems like a way to reduce the thickness and make it more flexible! Definitely will be looking into this.

I'm not sure I understand how the liquid SiO2 is absorbed by the fiber's though? Does it stay somewhat wet? Is it sealed in so it the suspension liquid (methanol/ethanol) doesn't evaporate? Doesn't kevlar break down rather quickly when exposed to acidic moisture like sweat?

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 01:02 AM
link   
I'm researching this to make some and would appreciate it if I could get more info on this. specifically where to get SiO2 spheres I looked into that one link but couldn't find anything..

this is by far the best info i've seen for this online, i'm just not finding a good source of the Silicon dioxide nanorods.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Hi There..

Could other materials be used? For example a material harder than silicon dioxide such as boron nitride or silicon carbide? What are the conditions that must be met for it to function as an STF?
Does the particle have to be spherical in nature or will any particle shape work? What size must the particles be? Is 15nm a guide/range or a strict ruling?

When baking in the oven, what temperature do you use, and for how long?

What polyethylene glycol are you using as there are many grades...?

Thanks - fascinating post

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Quadraphobe

Liquid armor is based on non newtonian liquid - silica nanoparticles suspended in liquid form hydroclusters under pressure and that cause it to get hard as ceramic. Sand or cornstarch with water are examples of shear thickening fluids. Don't know if silica carbide would work, but the harder material the better it will stop high velocity bullets. Silica dioxide is 7 by moth's scale, silica carbide 9 and army armor plates 9.5.
Liquid armor is very good solution to make kevlar stab proof and lightweight. Theoretically it helps against sharp ammo as it also can ignore kevlar.

I wanted to know how much of materials would required for single vest? How you seal liquid, is it dripping through holes? Kevlar is quit rare and expensive so I think nylon could be used instead, in my country knives are bigger problem. I read that PEG molecular mass grade used is 200-600, but could other liquids also be used?
Could you share photos, videos?

edit on 24-5-2013 by sauroman1 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 11:54 AM
link   
In a wider sense, it's likely worth looking at getting some sort of ballistic armor for SHTF.

I've got a couple sets of kevlar body armor, one with ceramic inserts. And my old kevlar helmet.

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 11:56 AM
link   
All, please refrain from using comments like "using this against the cops", etc. Just say "an enemy" or something similar please.

This is a violation of the T&C in that it suggests illegal activity (and is pretty disrespectful to honest LEOs that put themselves on the line each day...many of whom are regulars in this forum).

Thanks!

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 12:08 PM
link   
There are also stronger material then kevlar developed. These are Dyneema® (40% stronger than kevlar) and newest based on nanocellulose that could be very cheap.
BTW to defend against abusive people you could use pepper spray or even better that paralyzes lungs (non lethal and not injuring weapons).
edit on 24-5-2013 by sauroman1 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 12:23 PM
link   
reply to post by sauroman1

You can also get sintered ballistic alumina plates from Fraunhofer, also known as "transparent aluminum", it's good for rifle fire and they'll give you a chunk to play with if you're a corporation.

We were looking into getting a big break on the plates that weren't optically acceptable for use in body armor, but they don't have enough fallout anymore. Alas.

posted on Nov, 21 2014 @ 05:00 AM
link   
I'm really interested in the D30 recipe, cause it seems expensive. I wanted to make some shock absorbing gear, for bike crashes to prevent breaking bones or whatever. I'm certainly not intending on continuously crashing OR getting attacked, but rather using it for added protection. Do you think that it'd work for shock absorption?

I wanted to make your homemade D30 recipe, but i had no idea of half the terminology. I would really really appreciate it if you could please write the step by step instructions (in other words simpleton terminology
). Thanks heaps!!

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 09:29 PM
link   
a reply to: TheLastStand
Relatively new here. I know entirely too much about Newtonian fluids and their application towards bullet resistant materials. Suffice to say, you are most definitely on the right track. There is one aspect that my stupid, prideful ego would like to share with everyone for the common good, but I don't want it to come back and bite me on the ass. So I'll just say this: investigate combining certain crystalline matrices with your silica or other non-inert particles in your fluid. If you already have, and know what I'm blathering about, then you are even more awesome in my book. Keep up the good work!

top topics

<< 1   >>

join