It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Homemade STF ballistics armor!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on May, 3 2012 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Make your own Shear Thickening Body Armor

Home made D3O recipe for protection against [an enemy]: 150nm SiO2 spheres in ethanol suspension, ethanol prevents clumping. Try moonshine or everclear, works dandy.
Sonic diffusion can be used to distribute SiO2.
Mix into Polyethylene glycol at a rate of 50/50 (not likely the most ideal configuration, but it will work).
Pour into plaster molds, bake in the oven to get a solid piece of armor. Plaster molds are suggested to be a “body casting” for a nice form fit.
Add 4 layers of Kevlar to make stronger, kevlar 49 is legal, kevlar 29 is illegal and requires a license for such armor.
Still, any variation of this will be better than nothing, [an enemy] could beat you all day and probably won’t leave any bruises with this stuff on.
Time to be innovative. I can help anybody interested in protecting themselves from violence. Hope this recipe helps.

Nanorods are better than spheres. Straight fumed silica will not work. Potential of silicon carbide nanorods working better. Methanol may potentially be used in place of ethanol. Other words are moonshine, or everclear. No indication if ethanol was “anhydrous” or not (though anhydrous probably won’t work some hydration should make dispersion more uniform).

Integration of kevlar 49 is legal, kevlar 29 is not legal. So long as armor isn’t bullet-proof it is still legal in canada.

Defend yourselves, just because the protest is non-violent doesn’t mean [an enemy] won’t come along and bonk you over the head….. so render their bonk useless. And make it much harder for them to steal your gas mask you have every right to defend yourself against tear gas and pepper spray.

Additionally Kevlar KM2 may be better suited, doing some research into this now.

Suppliers of materials needed and ordering info will be posted soon!

It is difficult to survive with broken bones and need for medical attention! If the SHTF this might make the difference between life and death.

Here are some references:
researchbank.rmit.edu.au...:9549/Shah.pdf -- paper discusses nanorods and various mixtures in varying percentages of materials.

- picture of military vial, uses 150nm silica in PEG.

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov... - paper that discusses particle sizes and compares.

uncoverthefakeroots.wordpress.com... - original article, from my blog.

science.howstuffworks.com... - source for pre-enhanced picture plus description of the procedure in making the stuff. (just to prove I am not making this stuff up).
edit on 24-5-2013 by Gazrok because: to remove constant references to using this against law enforcement (illegal activity is against the T&C)

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 02:46 PM
link   
reply to post by TheLastStand

Thanks!
Ironman's secret...
S&F for you, mate!!!

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 02:48 PM
link   

fricken awesome man, Ive been following this material forever, was thinking of buying some of the Motorcycle stuff with it.

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by benrl

fricken awesome man, Ive been following this material forever, was thinking of buying some of the Motorcycle stuff with it.

Make your own this stuff is better, army grade. That civilian crap will NEVER stop a bullet. This method will make something that'll render their hollow point rounds laughable. I would use 6 layers of kevlar just for extra protection, although 4 is supposedly adequate. And it's cheaper than d3o could ever sell it for if done this way, plus, I'd much rather have something that fits perfect rather than generic made-stuff. I never liked the d3o suits as they have protection gaps.

Hard panels can be made (like a spine protector) with kevlar or carbon fiber and resin, plus if made with metal pins in it and baked, sure the material will lose some strength but the pins will never fall out of it -- the baking is needed for metal expansion so that there is play when the panels cool. I am playing with this aspect as I think one can still have their appendages twisted and hyper-extended or snapped without hard panels around the joints.

I'll be getting a plaster casting of my body done in about a week and a bit.

I am actually doing this and running tests as soon as the castings are made and the materials are in.

Tests will include:
Ethanol vs. Methanol.
Varying % peg vs. % silica vs. % ethanol.
Varying degrees of sonic diffusion and mixing.
Varying % alc content.

I don't think I'll pay for that paper though would love to see the difference between 15nm and 180nm.
From what I understand anything above 180nm is subject to not working as good due to stoke's law.

Either way, on first test it should work and the additional tests are for improving the sheering characteristics. We have a legal 30 cal gun to test it out with, and will be seeking higher caliber tests after that one passes (which it will). Perhaps someone at the firing range will be happy to test out our new target once it is made.

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Where do you get the SiO2 spheres? I found some but not in the 150nm range from alibaba..

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Google Chinese papeamachea body armour (that spelling on the paper armour spell checker does not recognise it] From a TV program I watched some years ago, it is fantastic stuff, I know drop tanks on WW 2 aircraft were made from it, so it must be good.

CX

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 03:21 PM
link   
After the Brevik incident in Norway, and his document which included the aquiring and making of his body armour suit for his "mission", i wonder how long it will be before this kind of info is red flagged by those that put you on the terror watch list for breaking wind these days?

Just a thought.

CX.

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by benrl

Where do you get the SiO2 spheres? I found some but not in the 150nm range from alibaba..

Try this forum for that answer:
www.groupsrv.com...

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by CX
After the Brevik incident in Norway, and his document which included the aquiring and making of his body armour suit for his "mission", i wonder how long it will be before this kind of info is red flagged by those that put you on the terror watch list for breaking wind these days?

Just a thought.

CX.

Then they can red flag me a million times I have this recipe burned into my head and I am sharing it with as many people as possible.

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Well I look forward to you posting your results with the experiments, should be very interesting.

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 03:34 PM
link   
All that sounds really expensive, are there ways to do this cheaper for people who strapped for cash?

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 03:46 PM
link   
or you could drive 1 hr, cross the border into the u.s. and buy yourself body armour, probably cheaply to, at any army surplus store or pawn shop.

and when you're shot, bleeding profusely out of your gut, you can die comfortably knowing you didn't break the law by buying kevlar 29 or a bullet proof vest.

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by mytheroy
All that sounds really expensive, are there ways to do this cheaper for people who strapped for cash?

not super cheap, nor super expensive.

Can get kevlar at $35 a yard, better prices for a whole roll (around 15 yards)....
The nano-silica maybe $200-$300 for 10 kilos, I'll be contacting the supplier to figure out the price... might be a little more expensive...

I have a plan to get this done:
1)drop off my metal bins-- bye bye copper, aluminum and brass... maybe a couple hundred lbs of the stuff.
2)Ordering a graphite crucible for about $30....
3)Smelting all of my silver plate scrap savings with borax, borax is dirt cheap and suitable flux.
4)Selling silver at market value.
Funding obtained.
5)obtain plaster castings (cheap, $5 for 2 KG for plaster).
6)Obtain silica, and PEG and diffuser (methanol and ethanol)
7)run tests on finished samples..

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by randomname
or you could drive 1 hr, cross the border into the u.s. and buy yourself body armour, probably cheaply to, at any army surplus store or pawn shop.

and when you're shot, bleeding profusely out of your gut, you can die comfortably knowing you didn't break the law by buying kevlar 29 or a bullet proof vest.

(that would still be breaking the law you need a license for body armor in canada).

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by mytheroy

there was an episode of mythbusters where they put paper armour to the test and lets say it did rather well and another episode where they covered a car in yellow pages and fired at it and guess what it worked, so generally you wouldnt need to spend much money making a set of body armour

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by CX

which page is it? never looked deeper into his manifesto, maybe a mistake

edit: found it...ty 4 the hint =)
edit on 3-5-2012 by Hessdalen because: mindcontrol

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maxatoria
reply to post by mytheroy

there was an episode of mythbusters where they put paper armour to the test and lets say it did rather well and another episode where they covered a car in yellow pages and fired at it and guess what it worked, so generally you wouldnt need to spend much money making a set of body armour

Just about anything will work if it is "thick enough". The trade off is while phone books will work you'll weigh hundreds of lbs extra because of this armor. It would then serve as a detriment, especially if you got wet. Even regular ballistics made out of kevlar is uncomfortable and bulky. Modern ballistics still often features a steel plate though dragon skin is much lighter and very effective. The problem is, it still weighs a bunch and a full suit will still be heavy and bulky for type III armor or better.

With this method, you get that same protection without the stiff penalty.

Besides when paper gets wet it weighs a tonne, it most definitely is not suitable for personal armor.

In a pinch it'd be better than nothing for a car (if you can handle the amount of gas your car guzzles as a result), but I'd still much rather have a suit. And just think it can be comfortable enough to wear for everyday things, just imagine how much a suit like this can protect against other everyday hazards.

Beyond that I have a few other additions to add:
Infrared led's and power supply for blinding video camera with.
less emf fabrics to shield against electromagnetic radiation.

I'll fix up one of those army surplus gas masks with it and make a good solid helmet and cannister pouch, and as it turns out heat-welding and spray on glass are two interesting possibilities for making a sealed suit.

I noticed that spray on glass can now be ordered from a supplier in ireland so I've been seriously considering the purchase of a couple of cans from there... I've got some snowboarding jackets just beggin for the stuff.
The link for it is (sorry doesn't like posting of actual urls nor tiny url. Use http colon slash slash tiny url dot com slash (whatever the characters are):
/c7hdxlw

It's a little expensive as well though I'm willing to bet that bottle alone would work on the suit, my two snowboarding coats, and a few other select articles of clothing needing some improvement. I'm highly liable to become a repeat customer of this sort of product.

Anybody else notice that it is now easy to make super-capacitors for a personal railgun? They posted the news not too long ago regarding lightscribe burners and (not so cheap) graphite oxide powder. No info on the grade I wouldn't try it unless I knew the exact specs of the powder that I am trying to figure out as homemade super-capacitors can be useful for so many things, plus if you make the powder yourself it is actually ridiculously cheap (as the article implies):
/88spnh5
edit on 3-5-2012 by TheLastStand because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hessdalen
reply to post by CX

which page is it? never looked deeper into his manifesto, maybe a mistake

edit: found it...ty 4 the hint =)
edit on 3-5-2012 by Hessdalen because: mindcontrol

Wanna post it, this would be good information to have...
Technology of any sort is a double edged sword -- do you trust your government enough to allow them to prevent you from using it? Why are we giving "government" the technological advantage considering they are the number 1 cause of deaths to humanity in as long as humanity has existed ever.

Government even beats out cancer when you consider the deaths......of course their statistics never mention how many that THEY cause the death of.

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 11:12 PM
link   
I have something really interesting to contribute to this thread. Earlier I read someone mentioning that some people were using a program to make armors out of paper. can help you with that, and I have plenty of armor files, including Iron Man, War Machine, and some from Halo I think. Oh, the program works by printing stencils out in paper using a regular printer, so after that it's armor suit up!
Lol
Lemme know if I can be of any help

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 12:34 AM
link   
It will stop rifle rounds? How much does it weigh?

2nd

Gs

top topics

<<   2 >>

join