It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Google Cover-up Exposed!!! Streetview data mining...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Google Streetview data harvest exposed!!

Google, don't be Evil? Think again...

Two days ago Google released the long awaited full Federal comminications Commission (FCC) report. It seems that this has opened up a global can of worms.
This obviously comes from years of accusations regarding their data mining activities.

Now focus has shifted from the network data to data mined by Google's Street View vehicles.

This data, syphoned from un-encrypted wi-fi networks, contains nams, addresses,
telephone numbers, URL's, passwords, emails, text messages, medical records, video and audio files, and other information from internet users.

If you are not seeing the picture now, then I pitty your ignorance. TPTB has a database on all your information, at a click of a button! Internet anonimity is a thing of the past.

According to the FCC's report:

For several years, Google has repeatedly insisted that the capture of payload data by the company was unbeknownst to them, the work of a single engineer acting on his own initiative.

The FCC report (.pdf) states, however, that the code “was deliberately written to capture payload data” and that the engineer who wrote it (in his 20% time), told several colleagues about its capabilities — including, in writing, a senior manager.

www.wired.com...

"As early as 2007 and 2008, therefore, Street View team members had wide access to Engineers Doe's Wi-Fi data collection design document and code, which revealed his plan to collect payload data.
One Google engineer reviewed the code line by line to remove syntax errors and bugs, and another modified the code.

Five engineers pushed the code into Street View cars, and another drafted code to extract information from the Wi-Fi data those cars were collecting.
Engineer Doe specifically told two engineers working on the project, including a senior manager, about collecting payload data.

Nevertheless, managers of the Street View project and other Google employees who worked on Street View have uniformly asserted in declarations and interviews that they did not learn the Street View cars were collecting payload data until April or May 2010."

www.computerworld.com...

And what does Google have to say about this?

A spokesperson for Googl UK said, "We decided to voluntarily make the entire (FCC) document available, except for the names of individuals.
"While we disagree with some statements made in the document, we agree with the FCC's conclusion that we did not break the law. We hope that we can put this matter behind us"

I'll bet they'd want to put this behind them. Besides, most of the data has already been captured. The remaining few can be obtained using unmarked vehicles of sorts, not very difficult at all.

For some reason people do not seem to be grasping the gravity of the situation. What you thought was private is documented, stored and cross-referenced.
Yes, they did gather the data from public airwaves but that's like a pedophine saying he looked because he just so happened to be at the right place at the right time. BS if you ask me.
Who writes a code without knowing what it'll do...

As a parting thought, I'll leave you with this gem, the identity of Engineer Doe;

The agency also said it was unable to resolve all the issues it was considering because the engineer — whom it referred to in its report on the inquiry as Engineer Doe — cited his Fifth Amendment right and declined to talk.

Now a former state investigator involved in another inquiry into Street View has identified Engineer Doe. The former investigator said he was Marius Milner, a programmer with a background in telecommunications who is highly regarded in the field of Wi-Fi networking, essential to the project.

On his LinkedIn page, Mr. Milner lists his occupation as “hacker,” and under the category called “Specialties,” his entry reads, “I know more than I want to about Wi-Fi".

www.nytimes.com...

edit on 3-5-2012 by Monkeygod333 because: cleanin up

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Breaking news that my dismay millions of people worldwide! Google, Yahoo, Microsoft and Facebook are NOT your friends. The sooner you figure that out, the better.

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Money. Greed. Power. Corruption. At all costs! It's like everywhere you look, rights are stripped from Americans. It's as if it is so prevalent that it isn't noticed anymore. And even when it is noticed, the average American has no idea where to begin to stop it, or even slow it down. Sure, knowledge is power, and spreading this knowledge is a start, but how many people go any further than sharing a link and putting in their two cents? We are getting RAPED by Corporate America and when we yell "FIRE" nobody comes running. What other options are there? Protest, Sorry kids, Obama helped put an end to that. Not saying that i believe that he really was the end all say all to this, but he signed up to be the scapegoat. I sincerely believe that the only way we will get back our freedom is through a near extinction event. Hold on, we are in for a ride.

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by ilikestarz

True, very true. I feel sorry for people who think the world is just suddenly going to become a better place.
If the aliens dont help us, and the various gods doesnt come to our rescue, then I guess the fight will lie with us.

And boy, what a fight that'll be.

But this will only happen once humanity as a whole realises that they have been enslaved by a select few!
Sadly, by then it will be very late indeed.

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Monkeygod333
Google Streetview data harvest exposed!!

If you are not seeing the picture now, then I pity your ignorance. TPTB have a database on all your information, at a click of a button! Internet anonymity is a thing of the past.

the engineer who wrote it (in his 20% time), told several colleagues about its capabilities

For some reason people do not seem to be grasping the gravity of the situation. What you thought was private is documented, stored and cross-referenced.

Some of us see the big picture just fine, thank you.

Internet Anonymity? I didn't know there was such a thing, and I don't know why would assume there is. Kind of naive if you ask me. I think what gets people so upset is that Google "lied" to us in the past. You were expecting more out of them? I for one am going to assume that companies as big as Google are going to do things we don't know about because they don't want us to know. And that's their prerogative. That's their business.

Speaking of which, I think it would serve you well to put this in perspective. The main thing you have to keep in mind is the difference between available information and relevant information. They mine data for a reason. There is a purpose behind it. They just don't go out and gather information willy-nilly because they can. Does what you do on the internet serve their purpose? If what you do involves money in any way shape or form, then yes, what you do serves their purpose. You think they're in business for any other reason besides money? I pity your ignorance if you do and it would only highlight the fact that that is why they have a lot of it and you don't.

So, there are things you do on the internet that involve money and that's going to be relevant information to them. Everything else you do may be available to them, but it isn't relevant. And if you think there is personal information about yourself, like your political leanings for example, that is relevant to Google because you think they sell your data to the government, then might I suggest you keep that information to yourself if it bothers you that TPTB know about it. Are you starting to see the disparity in the volume of available information vs.relevant information? Trust me, it's big. And in the time it's taking me to write this, it just got much bigger.

Again, this notion of Internet Anonymity baffles me. It's like a contradiction in terms. It's almost as if some people think they have a RIGHT to use the internet. This isn't some clubhouse where you can slap a sign on the door saying "No gurlz alowed". There are more entities than just the government looking in at what you're doing. Sorry to burst your bubble. Besides which, I pay for my service. No one gave it to me. A service, I might add, that wasn't in existence 35 years ago and the world got along just fine without it.

One more thing before I get back to my studies. No one has explained exactly WHY this bothers them outside of the fact that it's seen as some sort of invasion of privacy. What, exactly, are you proposing that TPTB are going to do with your information. Give me proof positive that they can, or even want to, ruin my life and maybe I'll take stock in this conspiracy theory.

Otherwise, it's just a bunch of kids who got butt-hurt because the girls peeked in on what they were doing in their clubhouse.

library.witpress.com...

Registration is free and you can even use a 10 minute e-mail with a Singapore IP if you want.

Deny ignorance my friend.

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 03:53 PM
link   

If the aliens don't help us, and the various gods doesn't come to our rescue, then I guess the fight will lie with us.

And boy, what a fight they'll be.

But this will only happen once humanity as a whole realizes that they have been enslaved by a select few!

You just lost all credibility with those statements.

2nd.

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 04:06 PM
link   
Not a surprise at all. There hasn't been anonymity on the web since the late 90's (and maybe some to a point in 2000) and that all changed. First with the Napster illegal music trading lawsuit and then...well...9/11/2001 happened and "ALL" anonymity was lost at that point.

I understood what they were saying about "aliens and gods"....I took it to mean... that basically...it's going to take an impossible miracle for us to get our Liberty back...a cataclysm might work, but then..."there won't be no webz to play and hide on anyway".

Let's face it folks....everything you do or say on an electronic media device is monitored and at least temporarily stored...heck...sometimes you are monitored depending on where you are physically...traffic cams, security cams, facial recognition software...etc....etc...etc.

There are no more secrets...except the ones in your head that you are yet to share....

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Taupin Desciple

What, exactly, are you proposing that TPTB are going to do with your information. Give me proof positive that they can, or even want to, ruin my life and maybe I'll take stock in this conspiracy theory.
:

It isn't always the red wrapping paper or the pretty bow that makes what is in the box important. The unknown is what people fear the most. When you see a dramatic change in laws, corporations selling information without telling the public- then lying about it, and rights being stripped from Americans and other citizens, it makes one raise an eyebrow. Just because someone doesn't know EXACTLY what is going to happen, that doesn't mean that their credibility for a sense of caution should be thrown out the window.

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 04:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Monkeygod333

please tell me where it says that "names, addresses, telephone numbers, URL's, passwords, emails, text messages, medical records, video and audio files" were captured?

The aim of this project was to detect what WIFI networks were open so people can easily find them.
it was even incorporated into Google earth/maps awhile ago, but not sure if it still is.

The program they used to detect if a network was open or not was a modified version of kismet, thats what people had a problem with, the ill-informed just associate that immediately with hacker tools.

Open, UNENCRYPTED, wifi information was captured

if your too lazy to secure your network then you should have no expectations of privacy, thats like going to a nude beach but expecting no-one to see your naked body

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 08:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Taupin Desciple

If the aliens don't help us, and the various gods doesn't come to our rescue, then I guess the fight will lie with us.

And boy, what a fight they'll be.

But this will only happen once humanity as a whole realizes that they have been enslaved by a select few!

You just lost all credibility with those statements.

2nd.

I cant seem to get to the root of your post, your thoughts are all over the place.
Credibitity? Wtf, it's gogle's credibility that we are discussing , not mine. lol

Gather you thoughts, get to the point and then we can discuss it all you want. K?

new topics

top topics

join