It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Next Major Human Advancement. HUGE.

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 11:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by samureyed
reply to post by smithjustinb

I understand what you mean, and it would be a great step forward, but compassion is an emotion.

Compassion, much like love, is a decision.

Nothing less, nothing more.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 12:04 AM
link   

i have a little more dark view of oneness.... and the ultimate perspective.

I personally think that eventually almost all of a sentient galactic species will die, mostly from boredom, untill one is left... with the ulitmate undissolvable reason for existing as the last of its kind. This last individual or group will have the compassion and perspective you apply to a magical fairy in the sky without being magic... and being entirely logical.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 12:06 AM
link   
reply to post by LesMisanthrope

I think I see what you're saying.

You're saying people are compassionate because there's a need for it. Where there's a need, there's a reward, basically. So we're compassionate because we get something in return. Things like status, seniority, respect, money, etc. If the world were suddenly peaceful and there was plenty and nobody was in need then nobody would be inclined to be compassionate. Something like that?

I am not sure I fully grasp it, but I was nodding my head to your comments.

I've also thought that "holier than thou" attitudes are earning money in the after-life or somewhere else. It's spiritual money. It seems everybody is earning something. They want a reward.

I think compassion is empathy. When I see someone hurt, I hurts inside my mind because I know that pain is undesired and it causes a lot of strain. I've hurt myself too and don't want others to go through that. But having an effective answer for their hurt is not always within reach. I think we can have empathy for almost anything, if we have the imagination to achieve it.

I also think that hate and love go together nicely, just like black and white or up and down. If we lived in a perfect world, I don't think there'd be hate or love. Being human means ALL emotions.

I can't see a world without the full range of emotions. Without them, we're not human.

In my mind, I see us as having adapted to a world with pain and grace and murder and love and intelligence and stupidity and famine and plenty. We could not live in a world that was significantly worse or better without having to adapt to it. The bigger the change, the harder it's to adapt.
edit on 4-5-2012 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 12:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wertdagf

i have a little more dark view of oneness.... and the ultimate perspective.

I personally think that eventually almost all of a sentient galactic species will die, mostly from boredom, untill one is left... with the ulitmate undissolvable reason for existing as the last of its kind. This last individual or group will have the compassion and perspective you apply to a magical fairy in the sky without being magic... and being entirely logical.

I have no idea what you're trying to say here.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 12:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by jonnywhite

I think compassion is empathy.

Compassion entails empathy, but they aren't exactly the same. Empathy is when you feel emotions of others. Compassion is getting the full experience of others (as much as possible).

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 12:16 AM
link   
WOW, I THINK I JUST MADE A THREAD THAT COMPLETELY PROVES EVERYTHING YOU JUST SAID...

well, prove is strong language to use, but... you will see what I mean, if you are to read the following:

www.abovetopsecret.com...
I Need Some Answers, Sun, NMR, Gene Expression, Light, Behavioural Psychology, Circadian Rhythm, Etc

I can't believe that I didn't read your Thread first! It goes 100% with everything I said in mine... Although I go into many areas of research, in which aim to prove yours as being true!

Kinda crazy...

I ask all of you to check it out, I need some intelligent replies to help further develope the theory!

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 12:40 AM
link   
Great post OP, keep up the good work! =)

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 01:13 AM
link   
I think many of you are confusing compassion with empathy and though related they are in actuality two seperate ideas. Empatny is the placing of one's self into the experiences of another while compassion is the feeling of sympathy coupled with either the urge for or action of the removal of the cause of suffering.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 01:33 AM
link   
What a great post exactly what i have been thinking on recently thank you

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 01:44 AM
link   
I enjoyed reading that OP
Starred & flagged.

“It's clearly a crisis of two things: Of consciousness and conditioning. We have the technological power, the engineering skills to save our planet, to cure disease, to feed the hungry, to end war; But we lack the intellectual vision, the ability to change our minds. We must decondition ourselves from 10,000 years of bad behavior. And, it's not easy.”
~ Terence McKenna

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 01:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by dontreally

It wasn't an assumption. It was the only logical inference from what you wrote; if only reputation and concern for the afterlife are what motivates compassion, then that means you do not consider the more selfless universal expressions of selflessness: either because you don't respect it (which would merely imply an emotional dislike for it) or because you are altogether ignorant of it.

Assumption; logical inference; either way, both ended up being wrong and presumptuous. I was wrong to describe it in such a manner. Apologies.

You're mistaking consideration of a principle to veneration and worship of a principle: things are NEVER that simple.

I may out of principle, show compassion because it is a good thing to do - but it is not the only principle I seek to live in accord with: For instance, in a case which you just described, I would NOT show compassion to someone who put harm to another being because it conflicts with a more important principle: justice and equanimity. If I feel showing compassion for a scoundrel will only debase the principle and give him some added support which he doesn't deserve, and in fact, would only encourage greater harm, I will not show it.

No need to explain yourself sir; I was never in doubt of your compassion for your fellow man. Everyone in this thread is great of soul, intelligence and compassion, and most likely mean well in their intention—I've never doubted that or questioned it. But what scares me is the indiscriminate tossing around of their greatness to others—others I would describe as unworthy of this compassion. It seems randomly given to everyone and anyone like a hand-out, even so far as to forget about giving it to themselves, the deserved ones.

I only wish to offer an opposite view for a livelier discussion. Because c'mon—these doctrines of the common good and pity have been preached for thousands of years. It would get boring if we kept repeating ourselves. Look how well these ideas have worked so far. Maybe we could try something else for a change.

Are we alleviating suffering and burden by taking another's on ourselves? No, because now we are two people burdened. It sounds almost cancerous. I guess the ol' platitude misery loves company works well in this case.

Morality is irrelevant to nature. Man however is manifestly above nature - his very being encompasses it, by having the free will to resist it's inclinations. Man works upon nature, and indeed, is able to transform nature.

Nobody - barring cretans and primitives - should look to nature for moral advice.

I can only guess that when you mention cretans and primitives, you're referring to me. I didn't expect this from such a compassionate individual; but I can't help but love irony very much.

"Morality is irrelevant to nature," I love that statement. I suppose then, since everything—including man—is indeed nature, morality too is irrelevant. Something to ponder.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 01:58 AM
link   
Well, the "one great observer" (almighty God), gave us dominion over the creatures of the earth which is exactly why, at this stage of human development, we are not eating poop and dodging swatters.
I agree with your post on the humanity side of things but I'm still gonna step on spiders and swat masquitos.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 02:02 AM
link   
reply to post by jonnywhite

Yes sir. I know there is compassion, and obviously one is compassionate in certain situations. It's something very natural and primal seeing someone suffering, only a monster couldn't be compassionate when the consequences are dire; but when people go out of their way to be compassionate, even in times when it isn't necessary, their intentions and motives should be questioned and undermined.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 02:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by ErroneousDylan

Originally posted by LesMisanthrope

Originally posted by ErroneousDylan
What do you base morality off of if you aren't a religious type person?

It's easy. You use reason. If you are aware that others are just as aware as you, you then decide what you don't want to happen to you and apply that same "moral code" to everyone else. I don't want to punch a stranger in the face because I wouldn't like it if it happened to me. No need for religion.

Every time people create morals, they're basically saying This is what I don't want to happen to me.

And what if you are a masochist? What if you thoroughly enjoy getting punched in the face and think to yourself "I really enjoy this. Others should experience this enjoyment." ?

Then I would allow people to punch me in the face. It would be stupid of me to assume everyone else enjoys the same things. Religion however, does make that assumption.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 02:33 AM
link   

Let me thank you for your positive contribution.
It would indeed be an advancement is people would understand what compassion yields
I learned about it through buddhism (and I don't share your view on "the one observer" but that really isn't of any importance as long as we manage to grow into being more compassionate)
:-)

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 02:43 AM
link   

Compassion means putting yourself in another’s shoes and trying to see from their relative perspective.

I enjoyed every part of your post, although I disagree with the above statement. Compassion is unconditional love.. well, unconditionally.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 02:57 AM
link   
That was great, only a few things to add remember love and light. Ascension to source is getting closer. Remember liberation day is tomorrow if enough of us concentrate and meditate after the 5-5-5 frequencies which is coming we can focus to mass arrest the dark cabal, make sure you check for what time it is in your city. It's 1.30pm in Sydney on the 6th when the full moon arrives. Spread the word mass consciousness creates things we can bring their demise by working together on the same thought. Love to all but tomorrow we have a date with destiny source is listening and the dark cabal is over.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 03:46 AM
link   

One of my favorite posts in a very long time ... if not ever - Thank you and respect brother

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 03:48 AM
link   

Thank you for the reminder.

Really honest and thoughtful message.

Mankind is definitely in an interesting transition, "Power" = "Responsibility" or mother earth hits the reset button on us once again.

Near future might look bleak, or not depending on where you are standing: but compassion is what keeps me from being jaded.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 04:09 AM
link   

You've quite obviously confused compassion with empathy.

LOL.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join