It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Next Major Human Advancement. HUGE.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Beautifully written post man, thanks for a healthy dose of brainfood

I've starred it but don't know how to flag
as I've never had the need to with any other post.

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Severin

See that button that says, "FLAG IT" in the top left of the thread?

Yep. That's right. Looking reveals marvelous wonders...
edit on CThursdaypm434353f53America/Chicago03 by Starchild23 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by smithjustinb

Thanks for the thoughts! I just watched the video of the dying teen saying goodbye (ATS Thread) and could use the positive energy.

This is the golden rule. This is karma. I totally agree with your assessment that the world would be a better place if it were practiced more. But I disagree with your premise.

I think humans are built with both love and hate and as such we will never actualize as a wholly compassion being because of this. There will always be psychopaths and sociopaths that even if they did put themselves in others shoes, will not be deterred by what they see. The argument, of course, is that if we all were golden then we would see such afflictions disappear. I don't believe that, but we can let that lie. Instead how about if we further the thought and consider having compassion for plants as well as animals. Would we end up starving?

I believe intelligence trumps compassion. I think everything has a purpose. The whole is indeed greater than the sum of it's parts. Once we truly understand the bigger picture we will have more tolerance for the perceived imperfections of the pieces. The fly might eat turd, but if you consider that without it doing that the decomposition rate of said turd might drastically decrease causing an eventual turd filled planet then you might tolerate it more. (yes that is made-up science to illustrate the point).

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Starchild23

I think you need 20 posts to flag

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Starchild23

Hey, have some compassion fellah...

I see nothing thats says flag it, don't you think i'd do that if I saw it

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Templeton

This is why we need to master the concept of BALANCE.

We must realize both creation and destruction are two ends within the same circle...continually leading into one another, because nothing is every truly destroyed, only transformed, as per the Newtonian law of conservation.

Additionally, hate and love are positive and negative, each reinforcing the other. Unfortunately, we are of such an extreme nature that we lead entirely to one side or another, finding it extraordinarily difficult to reconcile the fact that positive and negative are two sides of the same exact thing. Both are equally needed.

Balance is another concept we are in dire need of learning. With balance comes moderation, and with moderation comes abundance that can nurture the whole world, and not just the countries with the power and funding to afford it. Then, we can base resources on need, and not desire or convenience.

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 01:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Dustytoad

Nope...unless you're a new member.

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 01:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Severin

Are you a new member?

If you are, and you haven't made 20 posts yet, then you will be unable to flag.

I was unaware of your virginal status within these forums.

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 02:02 PM
link   
You are speaking of the camp which opposes the transhumanist agenda. Some believe technology will somehow "save" or redeem the human race but as we've all seen all it does is further the wealth gap between the haves and have nots and increase layers of security, intelligence gathering and domination by those in control. They hold out false promises of a techno-utopia whose sole beneficiaries will be those who can afford it.

Compassion or as I prefer to call it, Empathy is the only true humane solution to the problems facing mankind today. Aboriginal cultures encouraged "projection" or putting your self in the place of an animal, plant, insect or even rock. Lakota medicine man Rolling Thunder called it becoming and advocated it's use in shamanistic practices.

By understanding not only the physical realities of those around us but their emotional lives as well we can make truly informed decisions that work for the benefit of more than just yourself. This is the way forward for humanity, of that I have no doubt. Should we fail to empathize with the other lives inhabiting this planet we will continue on our path of wanton destruction where wars and basic human need fuel the economy.

Thank you for shining a light on right road to follow.
The choice is ours and if you need any proof of the need for change just look at the world around you.

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Starchild23
reply to post by Severin

Are you a new member?

If you are, and you haven't made 20 posts yet, then you will be unable to flag.

I was unaware of your virginal status within these forums.

See to your left where it says MEMBER.. theres a post count there, "Yep. That's right. Looking reveals marvelous wonders..."

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by dontreally
I find it bizarre that you think the next major human advancement - after einsteins theory of relativity (a scientific theory) is compassion effectively moving from one category to another.

Now, while I don't at all devalue compassion, and I myself find it to be an indispensable aspect of human reality, it has absolutely nothing to do with einsteins theory or the concept of 'advancement' all together, inasmuch as the former deals with a progression in mans understanding of the physical universe (and so is discursive ) while the latter is a mere feeling one has for another person.

Truth be told, there is an advancement to be made and the scientists at CERN are intuitively aware of what it is: exposing the connection between mind and matter, or, in more technical terms, the causal relationship between archetypes and quantum mechanics.

This will be the ultimate theory, accounting for how the world works and how we ourselves fit into it - not as 'creatures' but as beings intimately united with the cosmos

We started out as explorers of the physical universe. Once that exploration's climax discovers a link between the physical universe and the life in the universe, then we will begin our exploration of the mental universe.

The exploration will be just as important and just as practical and compassion will be the first stepping stone into a vast new way of understanding.

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Starchild23
reply to post by Dustytoad

Nope...unless you're a new member.

exactly...

I said you need 20 posts...

haha

the same thing happened to me when I joined..

Originally posted by smithjustinb

We started out as explorers of the physical universe. Once that exploration's climax discovers a link between the physical universe and the life in the universe, then we will begin our exploration of the mental universe.

The exploration will be just as important and just as practical and compassion will be the first stepping stone into a vast new way of understanding.

Awesome post, and this is the logical progression. It's something I have been waiting for all my life.
I have even tried cheating the game to get there, but I am not allowed to cheat. All in due time I guess.
edit on 5/3/2012 by Dustytoad because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ophiuchus 13

This will be the ultimate theory, accounting for how the world works and how we ourselves fit into it - not as 'creatures' but as beings intimately united with the cosmos

Keep in mind OTHER beings who may look @ humans like humans look @ cattle. And them reaching SOL system do you think the theory you mentioned will way more on EA*RTH with th em or them having compassion for you as a species?????????????????

You don't have to wait on aliens to see that. Just go to the zoo and look at the jaguars. You can tell they want to eat you. Its scary but sobering at the same time.

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by smithjustinb

Originally posted by Ophiuchus 13

Keep in mind OTHER beings who may look @ humans like humans look @ cattle. And them reaching SOL system do you think the theory you mentioned will way more on EA*RTH with th em or them having compassion for you as a species?????????????????

You don't have to wait on aliens to see that. Just go to the zoo and look at the jaguars. You can tell they want to eat you. Its scary but sobering at the same time.

Indeed I was just making a point related to what the other member posted of how important compassion is and if there where intelligent cosmic species out there how compassion would be needed if to prevent war or ele type situations over scientific advancement/tech which they may have obtained thousands of years ago...

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Poopooplatter
The golden rule was invented before relativity... Weak thread. We all understand this concept and how it can help the world. More people understand this than the theory of relativity. NEXT

If it is as mundane and as weak as you think it is then you must not understand the concept at all. Because it appears that you are missing to see the glory of it from other's perspectives. So you think you can come on here and write a clever, two line post to get a lot of stars and propogate your "holier than thou" outlook on life, but compassion is the opposite of superiority. Compassion is about levelling the playing field and regardless of what you think, if there is another that thinks there is something to it, then you must try to see what it is. If, after trying, you fail, then each of you should be mature enough to admit that the person offerring the proposition was wrong.

However, you have not tried at all to see from another's perspective, so how can you say you understand compassion?

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Templeton

Thanks for the thoughts! I just watched the video of the dying teen saying goodbye (ATS Thread) and could use the positive energy.

This is the golden rule. This is karma. I totally agree with your assessment that the world would be a better place if it were practiced more. But I disagree with your premise.

I think humans are built with both love and hate and as such we will never actualize as a wholly compassion being because of this. There will always be psychopaths and sociopaths that even if they did put themselves in others shoes, will not be deterred by what they see. The argument, of course, is that if we all were golden then we would see such afflictions disappear. I don't believe that, but we can let that lie. Instead how about if we further the thought and consider having compassion for plants as well as animals. Would we end up starving?

I believe intelligence trumps compassion.

You can still have compassion and eat meat. But the compassionate manner of consumption would be to consider that the meat you are eating belongs to a family of animals and that the one's losing the animal may feel sadness. I'm not saying compassion will end sufferring, but I am saying that compassion will leave sufferring understood. Compassion isn't the end all be all, but it is a milestone step in the right direction.

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 02:26 PM
link   

The greatest expression of destructive compassion is gratitude.

To be grateful for that which you destroyed to serve yourself.

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 02:26 PM
link   
What about Altruism, putting other's well-being before your own.

Instead of just compassion, being able to feel another's pain and help them when you can, what about giving whatever you can to make others happy? Always putting others before yourself.?

I know evil people can take advantage , but this is even true for Compassion. People can fake cry, people can make dramatic complaints, etc...

Anyway, what do you think of the whole Compassion vs. Altruism thing?

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by arpgme
Anyway, what do you think of the whole Compassion vs. Altruism thing?

I think they are vibrating on the same FREQUENCY arpgme

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Although your articulation is already wonderful, we feel what you can not say with words. You are understood

the fly cares about being a fly relatively just as much as you care about being a human and the one observer cares about each of you equally.

Very, very true!

Go far enough down that hole, and you can not help but to kgnow even the plants, water droplets, and sand.

You are right, the universal application of compassion is needed for a healthy continuation of mankind. And it would bring unprecedented Light. However, it doesn't have to come. We could easily continue on this course and kill ourselves and earth, just like a bad virus can destroy a whole person. However, I am extremely hopeful and I see immense beauty and realization unfolding.

Peace.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join