It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Choice And Change: What's Easy And What's Right

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Alright. So we've set the stage for the topic: humanity, and the choice it entails. This applies to all of you...because you can deny it all you want, but at one point or another, you had a choice to change someone's life and you walked away from it. Either that, or you made the wrong decision. I know I have. I regret it, but I have made up for it in other ways. Batman had a choice, and he chose the hard road. Not the one that would be easier, the one that was honest...but the one that was necessary. The one that was needed. I'll get into that more after describing exactly what kind of choice he made.

Batman was talking about the sacrifice he has to make, because in order to save the people, he has to become that which is hated. In order to save the people, he has to become a villain...because they needed someone to blame. He was the safeguard against their own nature. Instead of allowing them to destroy themselves or fall apart, he gave himself to save the many. He made himself into the bad guy...in order to become the salvation of the city. He kind of became a Christ...although a lot more bad-ass.
They needed to realize that with the right push, someone can become evil (so-called), or they can become a hero. He never tells them this, but if you look deeply enough, it's plain for all to see. There are many facets to the human soul, and this movie was one giant social experiment.

Me and a couple of buddies got in an argument the other night. Because I didn't want things to get ugly (especially considering one of my friends was about to punch my other friend, who is epileptic) I was the first one to suggest, once all of the problems were out in the open, that we sleep on it and discuss it the next day.

I used to have immense anger issues. I don't have those issues anymore. I walk away from stuff that makes me angry, and the anger fades away. Unfortunately, not enough people do that. They prefer to destroy the things that displease them, and that's half the trouble with the world.

With that said, I'd like to address the video I posted from the Dark Knight. Very good movie...enjoyed it a lot, largely because of the philosophical bones it picks at. The Joker was a genius, who was well aware of how humanity will destroy itself the first chance it gets. He wanted to create that opportunity, show exactly how a push in the right direction will shatter the illusion of civility. But he had one big flaw in his agenda: the will to be good.

There are people who don't have the willpower to maintain civil code. People who, when forced into a corner, would rather take someone's life to further their own, than sacrifice themselves to save another. People who will destroy everything if it means their own survival.

And then there are people who will look around and realize that if everyone else follows that path, there has to be someone to set an example. Someone who can show that the right path, while rarely simple, will be better for everyone in the end. And even if no one follows, these people can still make a difference. They may not be appreciated, recognized, praised, or noticed for it, but they don't do it for that. They don't want gold, fame, immortality, none of these things. They want to make the world a better place for those who follow after.

Why? Because if no one does the right thing, then you can't expect anyone to live a decent life. Even if your example isn't followed, it gives someone else a chance. Don't be good for God, or for yourself. Be good for those who deserve to come out on the right foot. Be good for those who follow after, because even if you don't care about the world, maybe they do. They deserve a chance...and if you don't give it to them, who will?

That's the message of the Dark Knight. Even if humanity is an illusion, you can create a reality out of it, and at least give someone a chance to live a good life. Because all we have is a chance. Given a chance, what would you do with it?

Bruce Wayne chose, and he paid for it. But he's happy with the price, because despite the Joker's attempt to reveal the monster lurking in the shadow of humanity, he has also shown the potential for greatness. The potential for peace.

He has shown that even despite our flaws, we always have a choice. And that even if you don't care what happens to you, make the right choice...for those who follow behind.

Namaste

edit on CThursdayam494955f55America/Chicago03 by Starchild23 because: (no reason given)

edit on CThursdayam313113f13America/Chicago03 by Starchild23 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Seriously? No posts at all?

My god...the priorities are clear in this forum...

join