It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Russia's top military officer has threats a pre-emptive strike???

page: 1
1

log in

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 10:12 AM
link   
So Russia's top military officer has threatened to deal a pre-emptive strike to US-led Nato missile defense facilities in Eastern Europe. It seems that tensions continue to run high between these two countries.... I feel this is very unfortunate, because any type of conflict between the US and Russia is lose-lose for all... There seems to be a lack of trust out there today, the US-led Nato missile defense facilities are supposedly being built to deal with possible Iranian threats, but Russia doesnt buy into that one bit, hence the tension....

My question to ATS is, why is it such a big deal to build a defense system, or shield, on your own land? If Russia decided to build a missile defense facility on their border which neighbors NATO countries do you think NATO/US would fight it and threaten with striking the facilities? To take this one step further and to play devils advocate, what if Russia gained a partnership/relationship with Canada or Mexico and decided to build a military facility on our border, do you think we would react kindly to it?

Below is the story I saw on the Huff Post today

www.huffingtonpost.com... 2%26pLid%3D157405

Have a nice day!




posted on May, 3 2012 @ 10:21 AM
link   
I am not too sure how true but I did read that Russia wanted joint intelligence or shared basis to build the missile shield with America.

Not a bad idea as Russia would see that the defences are not targeted for Russia and America would have a more free hand to target who they liked then.

Unfortunately America did not want to share this with Russia, hence the ongoing tension between the two powers.



posted on May, 3 2012 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by diddy1234
I am not too sure how true but I did read that Russia wanted joint intelligence or shared basis to build the missile shield with America.

Not a bad idea as Russia would see that the defences are not targeted for Russia and America would have a more free hand to target who they liked then.

Unfortunately America did not want to share this with Russia, hence the ongoing tension between the two powers.


I see the big issue there is that Russia is on friendly terms with both Iran and Syria and if they understood the ins-and-outs of the shield they could easily pass any necessary/or critical information back to those countries..



posted on May, 3 2012 @ 10:30 AM
link   
reply to post by jhn7537
 



What is going to end up happening is the Russians will hook up with the Chinese to create something even nastier. It's going to cause an arms race. Hopefully it won't involve bioweapons.
edit on 3-5-2012 by antonia because: I screwed up.



posted on May, 3 2012 @ 10:34 AM
link   
as the OP mentioned above, it really is a lose-lose situation.
I can't believe how childish governments and politics are. a true measure of relations would be letting the Russians also have part in the defense system. - I mean, why not? they can just blow them up if they wanted too.

I wonder what it's like living on a war less planet.



posted on May, 3 2012 @ 10:34 AM
link   
reply to post by antonia
 


I said it was in Eastern Europe...... I never said it was in the US... I played devils advocate and said what if Russia built something on USA's border.... I dont really understand your response, i guess you agree with me, bceasue what you said is exactly what i asked....
edit on 3-5-2012 by jhn7537 because: (no reason given)



posted on May, 3 2012 @ 10:37 AM
link   
reply to post by jhn7537
 





My question to ATS is, why is it such a big deal to build a defense system, or shield, on your own land?


That confused me. I apologize.



posted on May, 3 2012 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by zooplancton
as the OP mentioned above, it really is a lose-lose situation.
I can't believe how childish governments and politics are. a true measure of relations would be letting the Russians also have part in the defense system. - I mean, why not? they can just blow them up if they wanted too.

I wonder what it's like living on a war less planet.


I feel like numerous countries today are constantly pushing eachothers buttons... I hate to say it, but I dont see everyone playing all nice for too much longer. You definitely summed it all up when you used the word 'childish', these Leaders around the world are all acting like children, to say that they ALL suck at geopolitics would be a huge understatement... They never put the best interest of the world first, its just a constant ego battle...
edit on 3-5-2012 by jhn7537 because: (no reason given)



posted on May, 3 2012 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by antonia
reply to post by jhn7537
 





My question to ATS is, why is it such a big deal to build a defense system, or shield, on your own land?


That confused me. I apologize.


Its cool, with US/Russia threads you never know what type of response you're going to get... Ive seen many times where the first couple pages of a US/Russia thread stay on point, and suddenly they turn ugly...



posted on May, 3 2012 @ 12:46 PM
link   

They never put the best interest of the world first, its just a constant ego battle...


that's exactly what it is. i heard someone say a while back something to the tune of "once you've reached enough money, then all you want is power".

its too bad.



posted on May, 3 2012 @ 02:32 PM
link   
For a few years Russia had become western friendly. But in recent years they have backed off. Could be because those that were used to the socialist system were having a hard time supporting themselves.

But to the defence system. The misiles would most likely be either totally mobile or easily movable. So to strike a coulpe sites would not solve the problem. In fact it would reenforce the need for one.

So in my opinion Russia is throwing a tantrum hoping to sway things in their direction.



new topics




 
1

log in

join