It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan to shut down last nuclear reactors

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 07:19 AM
link   
I think it is time that all countries who use nuclear power take heed and shut down all nuclear power plants.

Another long, stupefyingly hot summer is looming for Japan just as it shuts down its last operating nuclear power reactor, worsening a squeeze on electricity and adding urgency to calls for a green energy revolution.

On Saturday, the last of the country's 50 usable nuclear reactors will be switched off, completely idling a power source that once supplied a third of Japan's electricity. At a time when temptation to set the air-con to deep freeze is at its greatest, companies and ordinary Japanese will be obliged to economize amid temperatures that can climb above 40C.

www.nzherald.co.nz...

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

If we do not stop using nuclear energy as a power source we are committing global suicide

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 07:32 AM
link   
I Totally agree with you. Nuclear power is a serious threat to mankind and all life on earth IMO.

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 07:39 AM
link   
Although this is good news and personally, I think you are right ...It may already be too late for such action across the world.

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 07:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ericthenewbie
Although this is good news and personally, I think you are right ...It may already be too late for such action across the world.

sadly, i have to agree. when you do some research into the current spent fuel situation and the aging plants that are not being updated, you soon realize we need some new tech to clean radiation damn fast, or we're all focked.

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 08:09 AM
link   
oh come on.

It's not that bad.

More people have died from mining coal than nuclear.

Maybe operating something so dangerous keeps the human race on it's toes (i.e. awake to dangers).

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 08:12 AM
link   
This is actually an awesome article, which tells a lot about the current energy problems and in the future "for the whole world, not just Japan.

Also the "solutions", which are pretty weak, but if a more efficient energy solution was hold back by goverments/oilcompanys, i am sure that Japan would have chosen some of those, and give the middel finger to those holding it back.

A lot is writen in between the lines.

I am very interested in seeing what Japan and Germany will chose and invest money in for the future.
It still seems like sun, wind and sadly oil, coal are the most efficient.

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 08:23 AM
link   
reply to post by pillock

This seems like to little to late, but lets go thru the motions of save ourselves anyway.

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 08:42 AM
link   
The human race has repeatedly proven that we are not ready technically to manage nuclear power plants.
I agree. Shut them down globally, until we can figure out how to run them without destroying ourselves and the planet.

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 08:50 AM
link   
we already have figured out to destroy ourselves with the atom bomb back in the days of the Manhattan project.

The human race is very good at designing ways to kill ourselves, Why not try to devise a way to get more energy ?

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 09:58 AM
link   
Sadly the People in the US failed to support the decision to turn all Plants off,
how wonderful it could be when the US and Japan turn off all their Plants,
together in the same Time!

But the US-Anti-Nuclear Movement is watching like a Rabbit
in to the Headlights for F'Shima

We can't end the Nuclear Complex in a single Country,
this Move need to come in a Global Scale,
the Nuke Complex is toooooooo strong for one Nation
but not strong enough to act in Japan, the USA, GB and Europe, Russia, China,
Canada and Australia, India and everywhere else in the same Time, the Now!

We do not have much Time left and the US can't handle a Nuclear Accident
on a level seven Scale but their Plants are ripe for a crash!
edit on 3-5-2012 by Human0815 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 10:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Human0815

It only takes one country to start the ball rolling. I hope the rest of the world will follow suit.

Bravo to Japan for being the first nation to demonstrate how much it cares about it's citizens and the planet.

Our planet and all life on it, should be the priority of all nations.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 02:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by doobydoll
reply to post by Human0815

It only takes one country to start the ball rolling. I hope the rest of the world will follow suit.

Bravo to Japan for being the first nation to demonstrate how much it cares about it's citizens and the planet.

Our planet and all life on it, should be the priority of all nations.

I hope that some other nations follow our Nuclear free policy we have here in New Zealand

new topics

top topics

join