It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North Carolina pastor retracts statment urging parents to beat the gay and butch out of children

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 10:56 PM
link   

North Carolina pastor retracts sermon remarks about punching gay kids

A Fayetteville, North Carolina, pastor has retracted controversial language used during a weekend sermon in which he instructed parents to hit children who exhibited behavior associated with homosexuality. “I apologize to anyone I have unintentionally offended,” Sean Harris, pastor of Berean Baptist Church wrote in a statement on his church’s website. “I did not say anything to intentionally offend anyone in the LGBT community.

Pastor sort of retracts statement

Well he basically half way apologized and then releases a statement saying what he said was ok because the bible says it is ok. He has never urged anyone not to beat their gay children only that he apologized if gay people are offended. So all and all I suppose his message seems to be that it is ok if you beat your children for being gay if you use the bible to defend the position and if your kid is offended in the beating well sorry for that.

I suppose if he wants to beat children I invite him to whip on me a little and to not harm kids but, please bring only yourself not a lynch mob of irrational church members.

edit on 2/5/12 by toochaos4u because: (no reason given)

edit on 2/5/12 by toochaos4u because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 11:01 PM
link   
well as long as he "apologized" its all okay right?

but seriously who takes the word of religious figure heads seriously anymore?
edit on 2-5-2012 by Biigs because: added word

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 11:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Biigs

He has a congregation full of people in the video taking him seriously.
This is just sad. I know people that were raised in homes like this. The
only thing this does is make your gay/lesbian kid despise the parent as long as they
live.

edit on 2/5/12 by toochaos4u because: ugh bad keyboard

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 11:17 PM
link   
reply to post by toochaos4u

Dear toochaos4u,

If I start a thread about an atheist that called for killing all believers and provided links to statements to people like Mao and Stalin, would that be a fair assessment of what atheists believe? I believe it is the job of Christians to tell these idiots who claim to be christians that they are not and that they pervert the word. The problem I faced on ATS was that when I called Harold Camping a moron and false prophet, the atheists said I wasn't being very Christian. If I call this pastor a pervert of the word, will you tell me I think like him or that I am not very Christian? We are faced with a question, I love those, either this North Carolinan pastor is correct as to what the bible teaches or I am, if I am then he is not a Christian.

Jesus taught that all are sinners. Sin merely means imperfection, not evil. We were also taught that there is only one unforgivable sin. We are told that the unforgivable sin is the rejection of the holy spirit. The holy spirit is the mind of Christ. Christ is God's forgiveness, that is what his name literally means. Jesus said that we are to love God with all our heart and our neighbor as ourselves. He also said that if we love him, we will do his will. Now, here is the question, is this North Carolina pastor showing that he loves others with all his heart, is he showing a heart of forgiveness? If not, then he is not a Christian, just another idiot. Peace.

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 11:19 PM
link   
Pastors, priests, popes condemning GAYS yet most of them ARE (hypocrites).

figures they are condoning child abuse, too.

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 11:20 PM
link   
Someone should beat the religious idiot out of him.

*I retract my statement*

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 11:24 PM
link   
reply to post by AQuestion

I agree with you on that. I do not condone the beating or murder of anyone. I personally have a lot of issues with Christianity by how I was raised in it but, I do not hate the people. Many of my relatives are Christian, heck my father is.

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 11:50 PM
link   
Can you even begin to imagine waking up tomarrow and everyone was color blind. No black, white, brown,ect.. And then everyone relized that it really did not matter what your sexual preferences were, are if you were jewish are christian.

Can you even imagine the vast amount of all that energy taken away from hate and focused on real problems that face humanity.

It amazes me that they say our DNA differs from monkeys by like less than .02%. Yet to listen to some people talk about others they would never admit that there even the same species. Truely sad.

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 11:50 PM
link   

edit on 2-5-2012 by David134 because: Sorry double post

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 12:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by toochaos4u

I agree with you on that. I do not condone the beating or murder of anyone. I personally have a lot of issues with Christianity by how I was raised in it but, I do not hate the people. Many of my relatives are Christian, heck my father is.

If I call myself a chair it doesn't make me a chair. I don't know how you can have a problem with Christianity when you don't believe the people who taught you about it lived it. If they didn't live it, they are not it. Many will come saying Jesus, Jesus and he will send them away saying he never knew them. That is of the bible and not of man. He didn't say they would come calling him Allah or whatever. He said they would know his name but not him, not his heart, not love for all others.

You don't have to agree with the bible or believe in it; but, I hate being compared to people who call themselves christians and don't believe the book or even understand it. Someone recently created a thread about a Catholic Cardinal who said that the story of Adam and Eve was a myth. He neither told Catholic dogma or even Christian beliefs, he is not a Christian and even his own church disagrees with him. I think we should debate atheist beliefs and Christian beliefs and not about people in both camps that are morons and don't know what they believe or why. Peace.

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 12:09 AM
link   

Well then exactly how many real christians are there? Like, five or six?

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 12:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Garfee

Well then exactly how many real christians are there? Like, five or six?

Dear Garfee,

How snide. And how pitiful. Did you not read my description, people that love one another and forgive one another. You are worse than the fundamentalists. Who cannot be saved and who are you to decide who should, shame on you. If there is a God, and I believe there is, then I believe his word. He said to love one another and forgive one another. How many people do that, not enough. Why would you want to deny any salvation, why would you want any to not learn these lessons? I said, the fact that some call themselves christians and do not live it means they are not.

More people are helping one another than not. How many hospitals were started by Christians, how many Universities, how many shelters for the homeless. How many of these have you contributed to? I fed over 500 people this month with bags of groceries, it cost $400. How many did you feed? I don't care why you don't believe in God, tell me what you will do to help others, or do you not believe in them either? Don't feel too bad, this is the same thing that I ask people when I am preaching.

Now, regardless of whether or not you call yourself a christian or anything else. If you are purely selfish, should you go to heaven? Now, if you truly love others as you love yourself and are in service to others and know the heart of Christ; but, you think you are a Satanist, should you go to hell because you got the specifics wrong? By the way, the demons made their choice a long time ago and they don't get to lie now. It is a question of true belief and not just copying the answers from someone else. It is about the heart and soul, not the answer. Peace.

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 01:12 AM
link   

I never made a personal attack so I would have appreciated the same in response from you.

This is not a pissing contest to see how much we can do for 'charities'.

Just because a 'christian' donates money to a worthy cause, or even opens a hospital does not make them any better people than others and certainly doesn't allow them free reign to open their stupid traps and judge others.

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 01:18 AM
link   

You have done a fine job of defending the name of Christianity and bragging about them spending money but, I haven't seen the message from you straight up that beating children for being gay is wrong. Where is the compassion for your fellow man?

When I say that I have issues with Christianity you say..oh those were fake Christians no , "Sorry dude what happened?" Instead you attempt to divert the topic off course bring up atheist agenda on Christians and the like. I am not a Christian so it is not my responsibility to keep the brethren inline. Tell this man he is not Christian, not me.

I donate to charity but, I'll never divulge how much, where, because that would be bragging and crass. I do that for others for their sake not so I can hold up a sign and say, "Look what I did for others!" All this seems familiar to the Christians I have met in the past, no difference.

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 01:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Garfee

I never made a personal attack so I would have appreciated the same in response from you.

This is not a pissing contest to see how much we can do for 'charities'.

Just because a 'christian' donates money to a worthy cause, or even opens a hospital does not make them any better people than others and certainly doesn't allow them free reign to open their stupid traps and judge others.

Dear Garfee,

That is not what I asked. You criticize others and I ask what you do for others. That is not unfair or bigoted. If you are perfect, tell us how the rest of us are imperfect. If you are imperfect, tell me what you do that is good. Show me hope, do not try and justify being selfish or not doing for others by saying that people who claim to be christians don't help. Find me the best in humanity regardless of faith. You are the hypocrite, tell you what, tell me that you are going to commit 10% of your income to the poor and needy and I will tell you that you care about others more than you care about telling yourself how smart you are. Here is the best part, now don't do it, prove to yourself what a hypocrite you are or even better, prove that you care.Claims of belief mean nothing, living a belief is what matters. Who are you?

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 01:28 AM
link   
This pastor is wrong.
So many cases of abusing and killing children for "seemingly" gay behaviors, lately. ::down

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 01:30 AM
link   
That dizzy old queen just needs a good stiff one.

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 01:32 AM
link   

You have done a fine job of defending the name of Christianity and bragging about them spending money but, I haven't seen the message from you straight up that beating children for being gay is wrong. Where is the compassion for your fellow man?

When I say that I have issues with Christianity you say..oh those were fake Christians no , "Sorry dude what happened?" Instead you attempt to divert the topic off course bring up atheist agenda on Christians and the like. I am not a Christian so it is not my responsibility to keep the brethren inline. Tell this man he is not Christian, not me.

I donate to charity but, I'll never divulge how much, where, because that would be bragging and crass. I do that for others for their sake not so I can hold up a sign and say, "Look what I did for others!" All this seems familiar to the Christians I have met in the past, no difference.

Dear toochaos4u,

Please learn to read better. Read my other threads, make an effort to learn anything. I have been very clear about my beliefs. Read this whole thread and see what I called this pastor. I said he was not a christian because of what he believed in. As for what you contribute to helping others, I don't care what you contribute and that is not what I asked. I will make it simple. How much comfort are you willing to give up so that others can have any? How much do you care about others, not to get a cookie, not to get salvation. How much of your comfort are you willing to give up so that others can have some? What is your complaint, that you do not give enough or that I do not? Your complaint is that you should be judged on how much you are selfish or help others, oh well, that is the measure of a person.

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 01:35 AM
link   

Dear AQuestion. It is irrelevant what I donate or even whether or not I do - please stop using charity as an argument or excuse for anything, especially in the context of this thread.

I have never stated that I was perfect in any way.

This thread and this discussion is about yet another stupid religious fool who has called for physical violence and hatred and had to back track.

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 01:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by AQuestion

Dear toochaos4u,

Please learn to read better. Read my other threads, make an effort to learn anything. I have been very clear about my beliefs. Read this whole thread and see what I called this pastor. I said he was not a christian because of what he believed in.

No parents listening to this man please do not beat your children! Many times people listen to their pastor as a means of knowing what to do. You know this.

As for what you contribute to helping others, I don't care what you contribute and that is not what I asked. I will make it simple. How much comfort are you willing to give up so that others can have any? How much do you care about others, not to get a cookie, not to get salvation.

My comfort level could be better. If you knew me in person you would know. I do as much as I am able to help others. God never told me to do that, my conscience did.

How much of your comfort are you willing to give up so that others can have some? What is your complaint, that you do not give enough or that I do not? Your complaint is that you should be judged on how much you are selfish or help others, oh well, that is the measure of a person.

If a man gives a penny or his seat and that is what he has to give it more than a rich man dropping 1,000 to secure bragging rights.

edit on 3/5/12 by toochaos4u because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join