It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Venus to Appear in Once-In-A-Lifetime Event June 5~6

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 01:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Pirateofpsychonautics

Well the Nibiru comments didn't take long. I still don't know how people don't comprehend that if another planet was that close to use it would already be affecting the earth. Everything from gravity and the tides, to just plain being able to see it by now.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by seeker11

I wish I had the right equipment to really appreciate it.

A welders mask or goggles will suffice.

Also it appears that the best spot on the globe to observe the full transit is going to be Easter island.

6 hours, june 6, in 20 = 12 anyone care to get obsessive with numbers ?
edit on 5-5-2012 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 01:57 AM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

Okay I am pretty sure the lil dot that Venus will be silhouetted against the backdrop of the Sun will be impossible to see looking through a welder's mask. One that has to be rated at least 14 btw according to some NASA guy named Fred Espenak at Goddard Space Flight Center. The Sun itself looks like just a small purple dot through any welder's mask window plate or goggles, so how in the heck could anyone see a black tiny pin dot... never mind.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 02:16 AM
link   
reply to post by LilDudeissocool

Are there lens filters available on the market using a rating of 14 or better made of the same tinted glass used for a welder's mask window or goggles that configures to armature telescopes?

I've searched and can't find any as of yet. Would it be safe to rig something like I've described for viewing this event?

Oh gosh, what am I doing asking such a serious health safety question on the anonymous "internut" for anyway.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 02:17 AM
link   

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 02:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phage

Here you go.
www.transitofvenus.org...

I really appreciate you providing me with a link to that shop site.
Looked through all the goodies www.transitofvenus.org... But I want this type of telescope cdn.transitofvenus.org... with a filter on it. You would think there is something like that on the market. There has to be.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 02:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by LilDudeissocool
reply to post by randyvs

Okay I am pretty sure the lil dot that Venus will be silhouetted against the backdrop of the Sun will be impossible to see looking through a welder's mask. One that has to be rated at least 14 btw according to some NASA guy named Fred Espenak at Goddard Space Flight Center. The Sun itself looks like just a small purple dot through any welder's mask window plate or goggles, so how in the heck could anyone see a black tiny pin dot... never mind.

Serously ?

My good man I was only recommending grey lite 14 as protection for the eyes if people were going to look at the sun. And the sun doesn't appear as some little purple dot when viewed thru grey lite 14. It appears at it's normal size. Same size as the moon appears to us, to be exact.
edit on 8-5-2012 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 12:34 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

I agree with you on the size of the Sun, what I meant was normally viewing the Sun its a small yellow dot in the sky. I mean relative to the sky backdrop it is. Furthermore regarding "purple haze" the Sun just looks purple if viewed through a welder's mask as I remember in high school the last and only time I viewed the Sun through a welder's mask; everything had a purple tint. I'm not sure of the rating it was or if it was anything special, just that it was referred to as a welder's mask, it just belonged to the science class, that's all I knew.

The thing is the Sun's corona is still as blaring observed through such a filter. It's certainly doesn't look like this upload.wikimedia.org... en_2003_%28SOHO-EIT,_Ultraviolet_304_%C3%85%29.ogv.jpg through any welder's mask so the viewing hurtle still remains of how to observe Venus during its transit.

Here's the other hurtle to overcome: Venus just looks like a bright star in the night sky which appears much bigger than what it actually is as it reflects sunlight back to Earth off its cloud surface. It's going to be a very tiny dot with no light reflecting off its cloud surface compared to the Sun within its blaring corona.

Now on to the problem solving stage: How can something be rigged if the right equipment can't be purchased to protect the eyes and view the event through a telescope? Because obviously both, a filter and telescope, are going to be needed to view the event.

You're a longtime contractor so obviously you're creative and a good problem solver, I've read your posts on other threads. Do you have any ideas on how to rig something up?

And yes, I'm serious.

edit on 8-5-2012 by LilDudeissocool because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by LilDudeissocool
reply to post by randyvs

I agree with you on the size of the Sun, what I meant was normally viewing the Sun its a small yellow dot in the sky. I mean relative to the sky backdrop it is. Furthermore regarding "purple haze" the Sun just looks purple if viewed through a welder's mask as I remember in high school the last and only time I viewed the Sun through a welder's mask; everything had a purple tint. I'm not sure of the rating it was or if it was anything special, just that it was referred to as a welder's mask, it just belonged to the science class, that's all I knew.

The thing is the Sun's corona is still as blaring observed through such a filter. It's certainly doesn't look like this upload.wikimedia.org... en_2003_%28SOHO-EIT,_Ultraviolet_304_%C3%85%29.ogv.jpg through any welder's mask so the viewing hurtle still remains of how to observe Venus during its transit.

Here's the other hurtle to overcome: Venus just looks like a bright star in the night sky which appears much bigger than what it actually is as it reflects sunlight back to Earth off its cloud surface. It's going to be a very tiny dot with no light reflecting off its cloud surface compared to the Sun within its blaring corona.

Now on to the problem solving stage: How can something be rigged if the right equipment can't be purchased to protect the eyes and view the event through a telescope? Because obviously both, a filter and telescope, are going to be needed to view the event.

You're a longtime contractor so obviously you're creative and a good problem solver, I've read your posts on other threads. Do you have any ideas on how to rig something up?

And yes, I'm serious.

edit on 8-5-2012 by LilDudeissocool because: (no reason given)

Alright cool,
The type of glass is known as greylite 14 and with a glass cutting compass one could easily learn to cut a circle out of 1/4" thick glass. Then place a rubber insulator around the cutout to fit snug on the scope. Shouldn't effect the focus at all and would definetly protect the eyes. That's all I do for my binoculars.

If I knew of anything better believe me I would be able to rig it. But anyway simple works for me just as well.

Grey lite 14 can be purchased at every glass shop but a glass cutting compass you can order a good one thru
C.R. Lawrence industries. The insulator can be anything found around most dwellings of domestication.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

Okay I just called the local window glass company here where I live and they said they can do what you said. I am going to take my telescope in to them so they can cut to fit. I'm then hoping that I can find a fabricator with a big enough tap and die set can thread the inside of the rim of the lens cowling, if that's what its called it. threading the cutout of the filter too. I am going to communicate this to the window glass company so they can cut the filter just large enough to accommodate the threads.

I believe you have me on the right track.

I appreciate your allowing me to borrow your much talented mind.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 04:08 PM
link   

The only other thing I can think of is if you ask the glass shop they might be able to find some vinyl for 1/4 glass that would fit snug over the end of the scope. If you're taking your scope to them. I'm sure they'll set you up.
Good idea to take it there.

There used to being careful with painted metals and working with glass makes everyone in the trade very conciencious. So they will treat your scope with much care. Nothing to worry about IMO.

The vinyl instead of tapping anything. Tapping I don't like the sound of that.

Make sure the glass has no anomalies and be careful no to drop or scratch it. Wrap in grocery bag paper.
Take note of the dimension so if something happens you don't have to take the scope back in to get it done again.

They can just cut another. Glad to help a fellow member and I'm pretty sure this will suffice. Let me know ok ?

PM me.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 11:55 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

It was cloudy here where I was. How about you?

www.space.com...

They seen it, and you're in the same area, so you probably did, so...?

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 01:46 AM
link   

Sure did. Looked at it a couple times thru binos and grey lite.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

Awe sooooo cool meez envious.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join