It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Venus to Appear in Once-In-A-Lifetime Event June 5~6

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 10:45 PM
link   
Venus to Appear in Once-In-A-Lifetime Event
www.sciencedaily.com...

It will take Venus about six hours to complete its transit, appearing as a small black dot on the Sun's surface, in an event that will not happen again until 2117.

In this month's Physics World, Jay M Pasachoff, an astronomer at Williams College, Massachusetts, explores the science behind Venus's transit and gives an account of its fascinating history.

Transits of Venus occur only on the very rare occasions when Venus and Earth are in a line with the Sun. At other times Venus passes below or above the Sun because the two orbits are at a slight angle to each other. Transits occur in pairs separated by eight years, with the gap between pairs of transits alternating between 105.5 and 121.5 years -- the last transit was in 2004.

Building on the original theories of Nicolaus Copernicus from 1543, scientists were able to predict and record the transits of both Mercury and Venus in the centuries that followed.

A very interesting event to be occurring in the year 2012 don't you think?

Okay everyone this is ATS so keep an eye out for strange happenings around this time period.

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 10:54 PM
link   
I'll say it before anyone else does; obvious cover up for Nibiru....

Now that's out of the way, does this have any affect on us here on earth whatsoever? Any change to electro-magnetism or any other fields?

Will be cool! June 6 has been pointed out to me as some sort of crucial date to do with 2012 theories (by a best mate who frequents the psych ward), perhaps it is this event that sparked the speculation.

It was something to do with the 'numerology' of 6/6/12...not sure exactly what relevance it bears but there are plenty of creative thinkers out there!

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 11:28 PM
link   
So it's going to happen for 6 hours, but the article can't be nice enough to tell us which 6 hours?

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 09:36 AM
link   
reply to post by WP4YT

en.wikipedia.org...:VenusTransit2012-Map-2.gif
looks like sunrise and sunset.

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Unfortunately you will not be able to see it unless you have the right equipment
I would suggest not gazing at the Sun for the 6 hours in order to see Venus for obvious reasons

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 10:03 AM
link   
reply to post by MasterGemini

I love these sorts of things! I wish I had the right equipment to really appreciate it.

About the 2012 thing...nothing will happen.

Can't help but wonder if a life changing, earth shattering event were to happen on these alignments we would have heard something about them by now written in history somewhere! Like "hey guys just so you know, every time this planet lined up with this one or that one the world almost ended"

But no, nothing of the sort.

Enjoy the view those who will be able to!

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 10:15 AM
link   
reply to post by seeker11

In a way Yes the movement of the Heavens denote changes upon Earth
People have always observed the sky
When certain stars or constellations grace the night sky so the seasons are marked
The rising of Sirius coincided with the annual inundation of the river Nile in Egypt
Celts viewed the waxing and waning of the Moon and divided the year by them. Noting each month brought forth different flowers such as Snowdrop in January or Primrose in May
Akhenaten the 18th dynasty Pharaoh wrote a poem or song to the Sun
In which he spoke of the affects on animals and birds etc.
The alignment of planets have their own seasons too but the coincidental affects are little known in Nature

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 10:26 AM
link   
reply to post by artistpoet

I'm not saying that the movement of the universe has no effect on our planet, that would be silly. From my understanding eclipses can slightly change our weather and have subtle effects on our atmosphere. However, I haven't heard of most eclipses causing catastrophic physical events on earth (I'd be interested in hearing about any that did). However, it seems that people get really riled up about eclipses and perhaps large social events might be more likely to happen around eclipses.

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 11:58 AM
link   

millions of people around the world will be able to see Venus pass across the face of the Sun

How pray tell?

How can ordinary people without access to special observation equipment and instrumentation see Venus as a dot against the backdrop of the Sun? Asking simply, "What equipment is required to do so which can be obtained by the average person?"

BTW I think making such type equipment, if possible, would make a great Rocket City Redneck episode."

I so love that show!

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 12:01 PM
link   
I guess that would be "Rednecks" in the plural.

mike4rest

KC Pete

And that other guy who goes by Travis normally. The all American astronaut dude.

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by seeker11
reply to post by artistpoet

I'm not saying that the movement of the universe has no effect on our planet, that would be silly. From my understanding eclipses can slightly change our weather and have subtle effects on our atmosphere. However, I haven't heard of most eclipses causing catastrophic physical events on earth (I'd be interested in hearing about any that did). However, it seems that people get really riled up about eclipses and perhaps large social events might be more likely to happen around eclipses.

Yes - I am not saying you think the movement of the Universe has no effect on Earth.
I was merely adding to the discussion. I thought you made good points.
Yes you are right that some conjure catastrophes from such as you mention without sound evidence

edit on 3-5-2012 by artistpoet because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 12:05 PM
link   
not a once in a lifetime event. I have seen this myself over the last several years.people gather at observatories and everyone has always been generous in sharing their telescopes as well as having the event projected on a screen for all to see. I guess it's a once in a lifetime event now for those that ignored it before
edit on 3-5-2012 by abe froman because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 12:40 AM
link   

I noticed something tonight. I'm out on my back porch several minutes ago looking over to the east at the Moon. Then I look over to the western sky noticing Venus is directly in line with it at approximate equal distance up from their perspective horizons. I'm thinking, "that's really neat." Then I remembered this thread, and thought, "Venus is centered directly over the spot on the horizon where the Sun set this evening, and that's even neater."

You have really neat threads, MasterGemini.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by LilDudeissocool

I noticed something tonight. I'm out on my back porch several minutes ago looking over to the east at the Moon. Then I look over to the western sky noticing Venus is directly in line with it at approximate equal distance up from their perspective horizons. I'm thinking, "that's really neat." Then I remembered this thread, and thought, "Venus is centered directly over the spot on the horizon where the Sun set this evening, and that's even neater."

You have really neat threads, MasterGemini.

Thank you very much!

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by artistpoet
Unfortunately you will not be able to see it unless you have the right equipment
I would suggest not gazing at the Sun for the 6 hours in order to see Venus for obvious reasons

Good point!

Hubble to Use Moon as Mirror to See Venus Transit
www.sciencedaily.com...

This mottled landscape showing the impact crater Tycho is among the most violent-looking places on our Moon. Astronomers didn't aim NASA's Hubble Space Telescope to study Tycho, however. The image was taken in preparation to observe the transit of Venus across the Sun's face on June 5-6.

Well, they say practice makes perfect . . .

Hubble cannot look at the Sun directly, so astronomers are planning to point the telescope at Earth's moon, using it as a mirror to capture reflected sunlight and isolate the small fraction of the light that passes through Venus's atmosphere. Imprinted on that small amount of light are the fingerprints of the planet's atmospheric makeup.

These observations will mimic a technique that is already being used to sample the atmospheres of giant planets outside our solar system passing in front of their stars. In the case of the Venus transit observations, astronomers already know the chemical makeup of Venus's atmosphere, and that it does not show signs of life on the planet. But the Venus transit will be used to test whether this technique will have a chance of detecting the very faint fingerprints of an Earth-like planet, even one that might be habitable for life, outside our solar system that similarly transits its own star. Venus is an excellent proxy because it is similar in size and mass to our planet.

The astronomers will use an arsenal of Hubble instruments, the Advanced Camera for Surveys, Wide Field Camera 3, and Space Telescope Imaging Spectrograph, to view the transit in a range of wavelengths, from ultraviolet to near-infrared light. During the transit, Hubble will snap images and perform spectroscopy, dividing the sunlight into its constituent colors, which could yield information about the makeup of Venus's atmosphere.

Hubble will observe the Moon for seven hours, before, during, and after the transit so the astronomers can compare the data. Astronomers need the long observation because they are looking for extremely faint spectral signatures. Only 1/100,000th of the sunlight will filter through Venus's atmosphere and be reflected off the Moon.

Very interesting!

Imagine if our best and brightest put their minds towards feeding the hungry and clothing the needy.

Anyways, neat stuff!

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 02:35 AM
link   

Hubble to Use Moon as Mirror to See Venus Transit www.sciencedaily.com...

This poster is still confused on this one.

This article www.sciencedaily.com... claims millions of people are going to be able to observe the transit. Like millions of ordinary people can rig their own system. How?

What is the "right equipment" artistpoet is talking about?

I want to see it for myself.

artistpoet? MasterGemini? Anybody?

edit on 5-5-2012 by LilDudeissocool because: ?

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 03:36 AM
link   
reply to post by LilDudeissocool

I'm guessing it would be similar in viewing as a solor eclipse or even sunspots, there are many ways to see even without a telescope, here are some that may work if interested.

www.mreclipse.com...

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 04:36 AM
link   

edit on 5-5-2012 by azureskys because: removed all words because I made giant mistake

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 01:52 PM
link   
reply to post by redgy

Now I have a telescope packed away somewhere, but I would not dare use it to look at the Sun. Maybe your link has something about how to rig or reconfigure something to allow me to do just that.

The same method used for observing a solar eclipse makes sense.

I appreciate your wealth of "sense."

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by azureskys

Lol I thought I was the only one who does stuff like that.

I do because I'll glance skim, make attempts, lousy attempts, to speed read through material that's like way above my head... then post something from Mars, sometimes even Pluto.

I'm going to have to put you on my friends list

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join