It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cougar killed in my area this morning: warning sign of some sort?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 12:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by tracehd1
reply to post by EyesWideShut

Hey...thanks for the info. I was being sarcastic tranq -v- gun....I know a bullet is faster....

However....I didn't think about tracking. It seems I've seen successful bear and cougar relocation from problem area's?

No problem, I haven't spoken with you before so I didn't pick up on your personality

There have been successful relocations but the mitigating factors seem to be 1) the proximity to humans , 2) the physical/psychological state of the animal as far as stressors 3) the proximity of an animal control officer with a tranquilizer.

I've had black bear on my street, I almost had a deer fall in my pool last year. Black bear aren't overly aggressive to humans unless they're sick or it's a female with cubs near...so to me they're more of a nuisance than a general threat.

Brown bear or mountain lions...my (This thing can eat me) bell goes off and since both of those animals can outrun me easily, I might be a little more proactive/offensive In taking care of a threat than waiting around to see what the animal decides to do and be defensive. (especially If I'm with my Wife & Kids)

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 12:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gmoneycricket
So what is the ratio of people killed by cougars
to those that are killed by people on the phone while driving in the United States?

Can we shoot the phones from people hands as they drive endangering school children,
or is that an acceptable loss during commerce?

Or would it be ok as long as someone pays for cougar insurance?

Roughly 6 people are attacked by a mountain lion in North America yearly averaging in 1 fatality.

In 2009 about 5500 people were killed in auto accidents due to distracted driving, cell phone usage was cited in about 1/5 of the fatalities. So I'm guessing somewhere around 1000 people that year died while on the phone.

In other unrelated news you have a 1:11,500,000 chance of being attacked by a shark and a 1:700,000 chance to be struck by lightning.

I can't prove to you that a distracted driver with a cell phone will kill you (everyone has different skillsets and capacities for multitasking)

But If you get locked in a cage with a hungry cougar, I can almost promise you that you'll be exiting that cage a few pounds lighter than you were when you entered.

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 12:57 AM
link   
It's a sign all right. It's a sign that we're encroaching on their habitat and it's a sign that humans will continue to murder wildlife for being wildlife.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 01:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by rtyfx
It's a sign all right. It's a sign that we're encroaching on their habitat and it's a sign that humans will continue to murder wildlife for being wildlife.

merriam-webster
Definition of MURDER
1: the crime of unlawfully killing a person especially with malice aforethought

If a cougar were to eat you or your kid , would you consider that murder? I can't for the life of me understand why people keep trying to give animals human emotions. Does it make you feel morally superior than the rest of us that we aren't as spiritually enlightened as you? What about plants? aren't they alive? you're committing cruelty to plants everytime you mow your lawn! How about mosquitos, you'd better kill any you see for biting you...they've gotta eat too!

You'd better not eat any meat, wear any leather, or use anything from the following companies/industries. Companies that are still animal testing

If you do you're a hypocrite.

There has to exist a happy medium with reasonable, prudent well balanced people... on the far ends you've got Peta/Vegans on one side , trophy hunters/(CCF)Center For Consumer Freedom on the other. In my opinion they're both crazy, any form of extremism on either spectrum is a little off.

Yes I like to eat meat & I wouldn't want to risk my kids being eaten by a large mammal but that doesn't mean I'm pro "punching kittens" lol

Some of you are terminally myopic.

Anytime someone kills an animal it seems they are persecuted here as some sort of souless knuckledragging caveman. There must be A LOT of 100lb gaunt, pale, sickly, people on this board! These are the people that try to kiss wild animals and get surprised when they get mauled.

"Can, you believe it?...stacy tried to kiss a tiger and next thing ya know it snatched her face off!!... Who knew?!?"

edit on 3-5-2012 by EyesWideShut because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 01:53 AM
link   
It's a warning not to let the family cougar get loose.

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 10:29 AM
link   
It is rare to have cougars in populated areas. As I recall cougars are very territorial. They live in a wide radius and that is their territory. If a cougar is out of its area, IMO it most likely is sick or has been displaced by a stronger rival.

Animal control is selective and has two play books. If the animal is in a populated area and may eat someones mop dog or scare joggers then they kill it. Yet when you live in a mountainous area, you have to live with it. I live in a wooded area. We have small children and when we called animal control regarding our cougar, we were told we are in their area. This cougar was stalking a child, it spends Spring months roaming our neighborhood.

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 11:52 AM
link   
reply to post by AuntB

I used to live in a wooded area where there were cougars, bears, moose etc.... but now am in the desert... those animals just aren't around here, or very rarely. This kitty had to have come from any direction that is at LEAST an hour away by car..

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 12:13 PM
link   
reply to post by freespirit1

www.mountainlion.org...

Cougars thrive in any environment.

It wanders enormous tracts of American wilderness at will. It is equally at home in forest, desert, jungle, or swamp.

Cougar populations were decimated as human populations took over their territory.

From the late 1600's to mid 1900's, bounties were often paid to anyone who killed a cougar. As ranching increased so did predator control, and then along with sport hunting, cougars were wiped out in most of the United States.

Just a recent 27 years ago, protections were placed on the cougar which allowed their numbers to increase.

The Mountain Lion Foundation was instrumental in the passage of the California Wildlife Protection Act of 1990, which banned the sport hunting of cougars in California and set aside $30 million a year for the next 30 years for wildlife habitat conservation.

Now larger populations are forcing the cats to expand their territories back to where "cougars are never found".

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by freespirit1

Originally posted by freespirit1

I saw a fox in this area a couple of weeks ago also, and we have NEVER had them here....
The fact that you had never seen one in the area, does not necessarily mean that they were never around.

Also, I think foxes are nocturnal, and somewhat known for being cunning.

For example: you're probably not going to see a fox standing in the middle of the road all stupefied from the bright headlights, like a possum, deer, or other dumb animal. Foxes seem to be smart enough to know that it's better to just get the hell outta the way.

edit on 5/3/12 by BrokenCircles because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Reply to post by EyesWideShut

You have anger issues. Seek counseling.

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 03:15 PM
link   
A number of years ago, big cats, in the US had been put on protected status due to their low numbers.

Historically, ranchers killed them to protect their livestock.

After the intervention of the government, the populations of big cats started to increase again.

Now, they are showing up on the outskirts of big cities.

I think that you'll be reading more and more about big cat issues.

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 06:48 PM
link   
reply to post by BrokenCircles

Well, I probably wouldn't have thought anything of it but....... actually it WAS standing in the road until I got right up to it............. Thought that was really weird at the time, and so did my daughter.... I understand night time and lights and all that but........ everyone I have asked has NEVER heard of a fox being in this area.

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 10:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by rtyfx
Reply to post by EyesWideShut

You have anger issues. Seek counseling.

Don't confuse passion for anger...

You have apathy issues. Take your own advice

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 10:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by EyesWideShut

Originally posted by Gmoneycricket
So what is the ratio of people killed by cougars
to those that are killed by people on the phone while driving in the United States?

Can we shoot the phones from people hands as they drive endangering school children,
or is that an acceptable loss during commerce?

Or would it be ok as long as someone pays for cougar insurance?

Roughly 6 people are attacked by a mountain lion in North America yearly averaging in 1 fatality.

In 2009 about 5500 people were killed in auto accidents due to distracted driving, cell phone usage was cited in about 1/5 of the fatalities. So I'm guessing somewhere around 1000 people that year died while on the phone.

In other unrelated news you have a 1:11,500,000 chance of being attacked by a shark and a 1:700,000 chance to be struck by lightning.

I can't prove to you that a distracted driver with a cell phone will kill you (everyone has different skillsets and capacities for multitasking)

But If you get locked in a cage with a hungry cougar, I can almost promise you that you'll be exiting that cage a few pounds lighter than you were when you entered.

We live 2800 feet from the BLM,
we have a bear with cubs,
a cat,
bobcats in the wash.
Fox etc.
The only one that has got my heart rate up so far is,
the rattlesnake I stepped on.
Having a stare down with a hawks wanting to eat your chickens at 3 feet.
Whenever your caught off guard by the wildlife, it makes you feel alive.

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 11:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Gmoneycricket

We've got Black Bear, Fox, Yotes, Peregrine Falcon, White Tails, Timber Rattlers, Copperhead & I've seen a Bald Eagle but I don't think they nest near me. They're all great to observe because YOU are in control of the situation, I promise you if you come face to face with something that can eat you, You will feel VERY alive...and mortal...You'll have an adrenaline dump and then fight or flight kicks in. It's not like seeing them at the zoo behind the bars. To lock eyes with something that recognizes you as prey is a scary thing.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join