It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Annoying Comments, Ignorant Replies, and Crap Justifications... I dare you to read it

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Yeah! You took the dare!
(social experiment: how many of you would say that your decision, as to opening this thread, was influenced by the placing of "I dare you to read it" in the title?
press
1 - No
2 - Yes, but I was going to read it anyway(well maybe)
3 - Definitely

The following types of comments are getting real annoying....

...but I have hundreds upon hundreds of scientific papers and references...

...of others because they don't know what you do, does not place you above...

...worked with many professionals in the field. I can assure you...

I truly did not finish reading your op...

The following will contain many "I's", this is because much of this rant is in regards to comments made directly towards me. Although, much of this will resonate with many on ATS...

Those are just a few that I've had put my way most recently... and there are pleanty more that utter the same nonsense.

People want to claim that they are some how infallible because they have someone elses research that back ups their claims. You couldn't be more wrong... Especially when in regards to anything scientific(just about every topic, including psychology and those of cognition). Granted, many of these papers hold truths, and are in deed correct, BUT, many of the science related topics in which comments like these are made, are areas that are new to science, and are ALL BASED ON THEORY, in every shape and form. The scientific community knows and contains with in, a mass amount of data, papers in journals, etc., for many a years. Very little held with in them are todays science laws, and data can easily be manipulated through bias(intended or not).

You do not know what I do for a living, or what my experiences are!
Stop pretending like you know me, because you don't. On other sites, where I am not barraged with ignorance, I do use my real name... not on ATS. For soooo many reasons, that they should almost be self evident, and I could fill a page as to why. Number 1 reason, because of extremists and fanatics for starters.
The true root to as why I have a problem with this...
It should not matter! I'm just another face on the bus, for all it should matter, also... you are on an ATS forum. We're here to 'Deny Ignorance', not make personal attacks. As well, the simple ability to create a more detailed description of the other person is only further creates bias as to the perception of information brought forth

Following, not to be answered, rather ask yourself.
What does it matter to you anyways... will knowledge of my profession some how allow you accept what I have to say?
Will it change your perception as to my ignorance on any topic?
Is the information that I provide not enough to form an opinion as to if you think, I know what I'm talking about or not?

Granted a person's background gives a base for ones concept and/or knowledge threshold, but may I suggest to let the words speak for themselves, not someones merits. I'm all for allowing meritocracy to be the ruling factor as to who gets where, doing what... but cmon, that only goes so far. It's your actions and words that are the main contributing factors, into any wise judgement to be made towards said person.
You know even the most intelligent(wrong word, 'professional') of all people, who are in positions of great influence are dominated by cognitive bias', which the lends these individuals towards being incorrect in many of their choices, opinions and/or stances. Confirmation bias runs wild, especially on ATS, but is not limited to professionals, especially when one undertakes new pursuits and even old ones(which is what ATS is saturated with, in respective discussions).
This is exactly why I would never place myself above another... remember, we are all equal in our pursuits, and endowed by our creator with liberty which in return gives us each the 'rights' to free speech, no matter how ignorant or informed as they may be. So stop trying to suppress my exercising of such, by implying that who you are, your experiences, or aresonal of someone else's work somehow carries weight over mine.

I will wrap this up with one statement, that I'm sure many of you would agree with, and have noticed problems with.

READ THE ENTIRE POST BEFORE YOU CHOOSE TO REPLY... man, ahh that felt good.

spellcheck disabled, sorry for any and all confusion... I'm horrible spellar*(and terrible grammar
)

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 09:25 PM
link   
I did not finish reading your post due to its length. Being a long-time user of this site and speaking with many professionals who have hundreds of references to back up their claims, you really shouldn't place yourself on a pedestal above others simply due to your experiences.

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 09:29 PM
link   
reply to post by SonicInfinity

Epic! If I had more stars, I'd give them all to you lol.

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 09:32 PM
link   
I must admit that I opened it up before I read the dare part. You had me at "annoying comments and ignorant replies", I love a good rant especially when they refer to ignorance on ats, it's always a classic and usually develops into some kind of catch 22 situation.

Cheers

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 09:42 PM
link   
well i am a new member here but you just have to have patients , people will be people

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 09:43 PM
link   
reply to post by MESSAGEFROMTHESTARS

S&F

Every time I get on ATS, I feel the urge to write a Rant about the very topic in the OP. Most users shout out absolutes and quickly close their minds while spouting insults of bigotry and incompetence.

I never started the thread because, unfortunately, it will only be fuel to the fire and Ignorance will be promoted instead of denied. But thank you for the Rant.

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 09:43 PM
link   
My answer is No.

I was interested only because of the second "." after "justifications". It drew me right in.

I'll tell you what kind of comments annoy me, and I will do so by use of a pseudo example:

Ahem, Hence I propose my theory. After researching this topic for a few years at this pont, it just seems to me that we truly can't sit idle as so and so continues to treat us this way. It's only a matter of time before the smartest of us realize what's truly happening and make a stand. Otherwise we are bound to be sheeple forever.

reply to (above poster)

Speaking of the smartest of us, you spelled "point" wrong! Therefore your entir argument is moot!

I hate that so much.

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 09:44 PM
link   
Number one (1) for me. I was more intrigued by the original title. The post I have not yet read, but I am interested in the slant of it.

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 10:00 PM
link   
There is nothing like a good rant and this was nothing like a good rant but of course I am jesting
It feels so good to get things off your chest but it usually changes nothing

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 10:32 PM
link   
It is always good to see someone hit the "wall".

You sign up,all excited with finding something new and refreshing,then you start digging in.
You get slapped around a few times,and shake it off.
Then you find out that santa claus and the easter bunny where all made up,metaphorically speaking.
The virgin bubble has been busted and one must start all over again.

Your skin gets a little tougher and the fire reignites again.
You continue on.

Wait,did I just say all of that?

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 09:39 AM
link   
reply to post by MESSAGEFROMTHESTARS

S/F...
well said. No, it wasn't the "dare", it was the "annoying comments, ignorant replies" that got me...I thought, "YEAH...THAT"

It does seem that quality posts and intelligent discourse have faded in the year I've been here. Disappointing...but there are still members who post thoughtful, well-rounded ideas and to them I say thank you.

Thank you, Message.

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Hey OP, if you are so well versed in science, you would realize that you misused the word THEORY in terms of science.

In science a THEORY is a body of facts. Such as the THEORY of gravity.

What you mean is a hypothesis.

A real scientist never uses the word THEORY when he or she is presenting a hypothesis.

A hypothesis does not become a fact until it can be verified through observation and testing.

new topics

top topics

join