It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gold and Silver will be worthless in a SHTF event.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 07:35 AM
link   
It is an interesting thesis and then there is the biblical quote that supports that view. Precious metals (especially gold and silver specie) represent a store of value and a medium of exchange in a post fiat monetary world and a hedge against a potential hyper-inflation of commodities due to a monetary system collapse. My 10 cents (.02 x inflation): First, secure your food, supplies and "security" interests. Second, pay off debt as a debt collapse and collection of collateral (ie, foreclosure) or a deflationary phase precedes the inflation. Third, invest in precious metals to hedge your fiat monetary savings for when we come out of the collapse so that you have real money with which to purchase cheap real assets (land, etc). Put 10% of your excess funds in precious metals now (5% silver and 5% gold) and add to it on weakness. Remember we rallied more than 12x from the lows in silver and over 7x the lows (1990s) in gold....dont chase rallies. Silver could pull back to the break out ($18--21) and gold back to $850-1050....I didnt say "would" but "could"......

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 07:35 AM
link   
It is an interesting thesis and then there is the biblical quote that supports that view. Precious metals (especially gold and silver specie) represent a store of value and a medium of exchange in a post fiat monetary world and a hedge against a potential hyper-inflation of commodities due to a monetary system collapse. My 10 cents (.02 x inflation): First, secure your food, supplies and "security" interests. Second, pay off debt as a debt collapse and collection of collateral (ie, foreclosure) or a deflationary phase precedes the inflation. Third, invest in precious metals to hedge your fiat monetary savings for when we come out of the collapse so that you have real money with which to purchase cheap real assets (land, etc). Put 10% of your excess funds in precious metals now (5% silver and 5% gold) and add to it on weakness. Remember we rallied more than 12x from the lows in silver and over 7x the lows (1990s) in gold....dont chase rallies. Silver could pull back to the break out ($18--21) and gold back to $850-1050....I didnt say "would" but "could"......

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 09:15 AM
link   
Yes. I've too decided that medicines "will be worth their weight in ...". I've been accumulating plants and seeds all in this area but now I'm ready to get into antibiotics. In the coming weeks I intend to start distributing antibiotics and the deal I've got coming I'll have the best prices online... I put my money and time where my mouth is.
edit on 3-5-2012 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 09:52 AM
link   
I see and hear about people stocking up on gold and silver. I stock up on food, seeds, herbal medicines, and other interesting odds and ends. I know that in a true SHTF scenario I would not trade anything to someone for gold. I will want food, clothing, medicine, things I can live on not things I need to lug around until it proves valuable.

Having a sustainable skill may prove to be more beneficial than gold so learning a trade will also be helpful. In the event of an EMP your web designing skills, or any other skill that revolves around technology will prove useless.

Lots of people need to learn to cook as well and not just in the kitchen we practice campfire meals because the timing is different depending on too many factors. People no longer know where food comes from or how to create from scratch. I fear the the dependance on instant gratification and technology will be the downfall for millions of people.

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by cdesigns

I think if a global economic collapse or a nuke, biochemical attack every man for himself situation, the 1st 6 months cash and precious metal will be useable many people will see value for a short time, I have cash, if a bottle of water is $20.00 id rather have the exact amount, think about it, a gold necklace for water or actual amount being asked. Also people who own gold question for you, do you have the actual gold, if you do in what weights is it and if you have gold interest-certificates how good is a piece of paper in a society that has been grounded? I stockup on water and potassium iodine tabs and seeds for growing foods.

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Even after the SHTF, there will still be the people who desire the brilliant yellow metal.

I suspect, although remaining skeptical, that gold has a medicinal value. I base this on the platinum elixir that I was administered as chemotherapy.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 12:41 PM
link   
As posted before, It's wise to have your IMMEDIATE NEEDS provided for. Food, Water, Shelter, etc. But, there's a reason that we don't barter today. It's not NEARLY efficient enough. If your neighbor stocked up on food, but has a service that you can use (manpower), he's less likely to accept food. Something universally and historically recognized would be equally desired. Gold and silver meets that purpose.
As for biblical prophecy, (while I am a believer in the bible, and it's prophecy) there has not been a generation on Earth in the last 2000 years that did not believe that they lived in the "end times". And if "THAT" SHTF, only righteousness can protect you. Not stockpiles of food, water, and a nice bugout bag.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join