It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gold and Silver will be worthless in a SHTF event.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 07:27 PM
link   
Unless you know that society will be the same as before after a SHTF event Gold and Silver will have no value.

When food, medicine, water is scarse what gold or silver will do for you? To my understanding LEAD, IRON and ALUMINUM will have more value than Gold and Silver.

Lead = bullets
Iron, Aluminum = structures and machinery

Gold = good for electrical connections but cooper is also good and found everywhere.
Silver = other than killing vampires with it
has no other important use in a SHTF event.

The only things that would be very valuable is:

1) Bottled Water and water treatment equipment
2) Canned Food and seeds, animals to mantain a food source
3) Medicines and Medical supplies
4) Guns and Ammo
5) Guns and Ammo
6) Guns and Ammo
7) Lots of toilet paper, just imagine weeks or months without taking a shower and add a # in your butt.

With guns and ammo you can get the first 3 on the list, without guns and ammo you will LOOSE the first 3 things on the list and probably get killed.

Im only saving food and water to last 3-6 months, I have a nice little medical kit to do small surgeries, but Im investing more in guns and ammo that will to offer protection and trade for things that I need. Good guns hold their value more than anything else right now, they will be worth more once they stop making them in a SHTF event.

For me Gold and Silver is worth if the economy gets worse and the dollar value goes to hell. No one needs jewerly in a Bad SHTF situation.

just my .02 cents
edit on 2-5-2012 by cdesigns because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 07:30 PM
link   
Unless its not a Collapse or SHTF scenario by our normal ideas of one...

If they ever try to implement new currency by devaluation of the dollar than Gold and Silver could be very very valuable...

I always look at it if you can afford gold or guns, food not both, chose guns and food over gold, if you can afford both than by all means.

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 07:33 PM
link   
reply to post by cdesigns

I agree entirely and it's why I have very limited amounts of Gold and Silver. No one can eat it and it won't be keeping people warm, dry or safe.

On the other hand... Unless people foresee this as an endless Mad Max scenario and the end of civilization for at least our lifetimes, then someday the coming war will also end. After it's over, I think it's safe to say American Greenbacks won't be what someone wants a box full of. Gold and Silver should convert nicely into whatever currency comes in a few years and post-war. Just my take...
edit on 2-5-2012 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 07:38 PM
link   
I had a discussion with my accountant father recently about gold, gold price, and SHTF scenarios and the one comment that stuck with me is, "well, you can't eat gold."

I can see aluminium being valuable if production facilities get destroyed because you can't dig it out of the ground. so
for that idea.

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 07:57 PM
link   
For poor people, yeah, but I don't think TS is going to HTF for everyone. I bet the rich will still be pretty comfy.

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 08:02 PM
link   
Gold and Silver will be very valuable if we just hit a bad economy where the US dollar dies, but in a bad situation like a big pandemic, alien invasion, meteor hitting us, zombies, EMP bomb, etc Gold and Silver will still be valuable when the society gets back on their feet and start buying commodities, like jewelry etc.

In a bad SHTF scenario the currency will be made in Paper and Cheap metals, just like now and people will get it by trading valuable things or working to make the country get back in their feet, gold will be valuable to some companies to create heat shields on mirrors, and good connectivity in certain applications, but that will be YEARS after we get back into our feets.

(100) $1 dollars bills will be more valuable than 1 pound of gold, with (100) $1 bills, I can burn it and make fire, use it as toilet paper, etc. 1 pound of gold will be good to hit someone in the head maybe, or make very shinny cast bullets with it

The Gold Value can diminish in 1 day with a bad SHTF scenario and it wont get back its value until the civilization gets back to "normal" like today.

Buy guns and ammo while Obama lets you do it

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 08:19 PM
link   
You guys are talking too sensibly which is the problem. Gold has value (apart from its use in some manufacturing) because people place a value on it.

I'm not sure any kind of event would stop people from liking shiny things.

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 08:21 PM
link   
I couldnt agree more with the OP.

Maybe in a financial collapse situation, maybe then you want gold. Otherwise Id stick to stocking things that are useful.

As an aside note.. my hometown had a gold rush in the 30's, and at that time you had to fly in to the town by float plane. If they left gold bars on the docks, they were always there in the morning. But a case of beer disappeared faster then you could look the other way.

Just an example of how other things will probably end up being more valuable then your precious metals.

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 08:24 PM
link   
You could very well be right, and I have stated as much here on ATS before. I still invest in metals...but there is one metal that beats them all.

Copper!

I hoard copper hand over fist simply because it has always performed better in the markets and in a SHTF scenario it can be used for almost everything!

ETA: You can get a pound of copper for less than what a grain of silver/gold goes for.
edit on 2-5-2012 by sheepslayer247 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 08:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by sheepslayer247
You could very well be right, and I have stated as much here on ATS before. I still invest in metals...but there is one metal that beats them all.

Copper!

I hoard copper hand over fist simply because it has always performed better in the markets and in a SHTF scenario it can be used for almost everything!

ETA: You can get a pound of copper for less than what a grain of silver/gold goes for.
edit on 2-5-2012 by sheepslayer247 because: (no reason given)

I will add Aluminum too = lightweight, strong, easy to work with, and it can also make almost anything.

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 08:35 PM
link   
This is just me...but I am having a hard time finding ANY society in the last 2500 years where having Gold and Silver was a bad thing.

And I am pretty sure TSHTF several times in that time span...Greeks, Romans, Egyptians, English...just to name a few.

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 08:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by tlshark
This is just me...but I am having a hard time finding ANY society in the last 2500 years where having Gold and Silver was a bad thing.

And I am pretty sure TSHTF several times in that time span...Greeks, Romans, Egyptians, English...just to name a few.

Puerto Rico indians had gold necklaces, gold everything because it was a soft metal that they were able to mold to different shapes compared to iron, they traded those gold pieces to spanish people for wood spoons.

Gold have been always a luxury nice shinny metal, the only use since it was discovered is for luxury, and very small % is used for something thats worth in todays society.

Mayans also had a lot of gold because it was accesible to them and a gold pendant will look better and last longer than a wood one, thats why they like it so much. BUT in those all civilizations they were on their peak like we are, those were comodities, in a SHTF event no of them will care about the gold. They had no use for it other than looking bling bling

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 08:55 PM
link   
I wont mind having a few pounds of gold right now, I will cashed and buy guns with it

A box of 50 rounds of 9mm ammo cost you $11.97 at wally world, in a bad SHTF event I bet you that I can trade that box of ammo for food to feed my family for a month.

You have a wife and 2 daughters and gangs and looters are everywhere, and you have plenty of food and a handgun with no ammo, wouldnt you trade a month of food for a box of ammo? or will you prefer see yourfamily been raped and killed and then robbed of all your food?

Heck my wallet in a SHTF scenario will have at least 10 each rounds of the most common calibers out there just to trade them for something else.

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 09:19 PM
link   

Your probably right. Guns, ammo, alcohol, drugs (legal medicinal ones), seeds, and tobacco would be the best trade items. However pure gold makes better bullets than lead so when its not worth anything I'll get to shoot some fancy balls out of my smokepole.

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 10:02 PM
link   
IIRC, silver has great potential therapeutic properties.
Not that you need much of it though...

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 10:12 PM
link   
Gold and silver might actually be worth more than we may think,

www.alchemistsworkshop.com...

www.stoptherobbery.com...

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 10:24 PM
link   
A little bit of both is not a bad idea. To put all your cards on a bunch of metal is a bad one.

In a SHTF event you only want a few alot of's

alot of food
alot of water
alot of protection
alot of friends

and a little bit of everything else.

No time for alot of's when things get that bad.

The only other alot of thing to have that I can think of is knowing alot of people that have alot of the four things they should have alot of.

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 03:00 AM
link   

Not everyone in a SHTF incident will have access to 4 5 and 6, what about thos that live in the UK?
Mind you saying that bullets will run out and we'll still have our cricket bats I suppose.

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 07:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by DataWraith

Not everyone in a SHTF incident will have access to 4 5 and 6, what about thos that live in the UK?
Mind you saying that bullets will run out and we'll still have our cricket bats I suppose.

If you cant buy guns and ammo it will suck but you can get bows and arrows, sling shots, knifes etc, I dont know whats legal or not over there, but other than guns and ammo I also have several knives, (2) bows and arrows, (3) sling shots and a few other surprises for the bad guy.

At the end of the day you need to protect your family and what is yours.
edit on 3-5-2012 by cdesigns because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 07:35 AM
link   
It is an interesting thesis and then there is the biblical quote that supports that view. Precious metals (especially gold and silver specie) represent a store of value and a medium of exchange in a post fiat monetary world and a hedge against a potential hyper-inflation of commodities due to a monetary system collapse. My 10 cents (.02 x inflation): First, secure your food, supplies and "security" interests. Second, pay off debt as a debt collapse and collection of collateral (ie, foreclosure) or a deflationary phase precedes the inflation. Third, invest in precious metals to hedge your fiat monetary savings for when we come out of the collapse so that you have real money with which to purchase cheap real assets (land, etc). Put 10% of your excess funds in precious metals now (5% silver and 5% gold) and add to it on weakness. Remember we rallied more than 12x from the lows in silver and over 7x the lows (1990s) in gold....dont chase rallies. Silver could pull back to the break out ($18--21) and gold back to $850-1050....I didnt say "would" but "could"......

top topics

<<   2 >>

join