It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Labor: Wrong on Right to Work ?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Labor: Wrong on Right to Work
Richmond Times-Dispatch - Opinion Article

What is "Right to Work" ?

Well it's not just about having a right to work.

Many States have laws saying the "Right to Work" is also the right to not being "Forced" to join a Union.
(and hence pay "dues")

Many States have no such laws and many workers must actually join a Union in order to keep the job.

Arguments are plentiful on both sides of the issue.

One point in this article is that the "Right to Work" laws don't actually prevent a union from being present under collective bargaining, as long as a majority of workers choose to be represented by a Union, they can.

"Right to Work" laws simply stop the "Forced" being a condition of employment.

In a recent speech calling Tim Kaine a "friend of labor," President Barack Obama took a swipe at states — including Virginia — that have right-to-work laws. Not surprisingly, he misrepresented not only the laws but the facts.

The president says right-to-work laws are an attempt to "take collective bargaining rights away." No, they aren't. Unions can still bargain collectively in right-to-work states. What they can't do is make union membership a condition of employment.

The president also said he likes to call right-to-work "right-to-work-for-less laws." Good one. But studies about wages in right-to-work versus non-right-to-work states differ; some say they're higher, others say they're lower. And others note that both economic output and wages have risen faster in right-to-work states.

What's more, last year PolitiFact looked into Fox host Bill O'Reilly's claim that unemployment is lower in right-to-work states. The fact-checkers noted that while the difference is not great, and while one could argue about causation, the claim was "mostly true." They went on to note that "none of the economists we spoke to thought the gap was especially surprising, either now or historically."

So here's a wager: We bet that nine out of 10 people would prefer to have work that might or might not pay slightly less, than to live in a state where wages might or might not be higher — but have no work at all.

Why do some workers choose Not to join a Union even when one is present ?

Why do some workers "resent" the fact they Must join when required to by fellow workers ?

The laws vary widely from State to State, and affect private company unions and public sector unions differently

What say Americans ?

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 06:44 PM
link   
This is one area where I tend to side with Conservatives. I don't believe in having to pay someone in order to work. I don't think Unions are a good idea anymore. They had their time, back in the days before labor laws. But today, we have good laws on the books preventing many of the things employers did to people before the unions became involved.

Now on the other hand, if Republicans get their way, we will once again need unions because the Republican idea of "free market" is exactly why unions were needed in the first place that way people aren't paid .13c an hour, work 16 hour days with no overtime, and work in conditions that are dangerous to life and limb unnecessarily.

But if Republicans don't eff up labor laws, there is no real need for Unions.

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Yes We need laws and unions

So that you cant get paid for 8 weeks of Vacation, get your double time and triple time and holiday pay for not working!

Hell yeah! make that evil corporation pay you for doing absolutely nothing and then those unions make you pay them!!!

Aint that great?

The guy who took the risk to hire you pays you then you pay the union and its all that lovey dovey the union first the union only the union is father the union is mother.

Blah

Free Market is free market the absence of Government intervention where the market dictates pay.

Pretty simple.
edit on 2-5-2012 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 06:53 PM
link   
I'm strongly against forcing people to join a group in order to work. I don't understand this forcing people to join a group in order to work at all. I don't see how or why a person is worth more money just for joining a group than another person who has the exact same skills and does the same work. It smacks of a scam.

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 07:10 PM
link   
We should have laws that protect unions right to exist and to function so that If unions are necessary in a certain area then people can join and use their collective bargaining to keep themselves from being abused. We should also have laws like right to work which keep unions from mutating into something like the things they were created to fight and abuse the workers of a trade and force them to pay to work in a certain field.

It is not okay in my opinion to force somebody to join a union to work. It is also not okay to make it impossible for people to join a union voluntarily or to abolish unions. that is my outlook.
edit on 2-5-2012 by Mkoll because: (no reason given)

top topics

join