Dog Kills Newborn. Father Charged. Should he be charged?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 12:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by smithjustinb

Originally posted by smyleegrl
Prison as a just sentence?

The father will live with this for the rest of his life.

He's already in prison, and this one has no parole.

Exactly my friend. People shouldn't be put in jail for accidents.

But they should if they could have predicted the problem and, did nothing about it...

This is a symptom of the apathy that has overrun the world.

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 12:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by smithjustinb

Originally posted by dorkfish87
reply to post by smithjustinb

Yes, the father made a mistake, a stupid one. A very stupid one.
Should he be charged? Of course. If you own a dog and the dog gets out, you're responsible.

If I have a dog in a fence and the dog gets out and kills someone, I should be responsible? Are you joking?

And anyway the father probably killed the baby and blamed the dog.

Yeah, someone who makes assumptions like this should definitely not be taken seriously in an intellectual debate.

If you choose to own a dog you are fully responsible for ALL of the dogs actions. The law clearly states this.

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 12:25 AM
link   
[sarcasm] I don't understand... Why is it in the news its not a Pitbull...[/sarcasm]

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 12:29 AM
link   
Why doesn't the dog get a fair trial? Why do we assume he is guilty? What ever happened to innocent until proven guilty?

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 01:07 AM
link   
Yes he should - because he neglected to look after the baby under his care.
If he out a baby in a car without a car seat - same issue, neglect. Accident I don't buy. As someone's already said on page 1 - leaving a dog alone with a baby, no matter what the dog, is something NO ONE should ever do!!!

You see these stories crop up from time to time, but if people are too stupid and careless to pay heed to them then they deserve punishment.
Accident is tripping down the stairs with a baby in your arms, falling outside on an ice patch - leaving a baby unattended with an animal is neglect. It really is that simple.
edit on 3-5-2012 by facchino because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 01:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by smyleegrl
Prison as a just sentence?

The father will live with this for the rest of his life.

He's already in prison, and this one has no parole.

I think you say it all for parents everywhere. There but for the Grace of (insert yours)... Wow... I guess I'd feel a bit different if he had any fighting breed or guard dogs, but heck. I have a couple lovable and harmless mutts and they've been around babies here. Never left alone like that, but heck, it would only take an instant for the deed to really have been done.

What an unthinkable tragedy for all concerned.

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 02:18 AM
link   
I hate living in a world where because a few psychos kill their kids and get months of fear mongering news airtime...everyone who has a child who dies is immediately suspect of being those same psychos they watched for months on the TV...

Its an absolutely horrid reality that parents whose children die are usually immediately the suspects...so on top of enduring the loss of their child they endure the loss of their freedoms and receive nothing but skepticism for their love of their children...

ALL because those few psycho assholes who really do kill their children have gotten so much sensational airtime/attention it makes everyone suspect everyone...

Losing a child, losing your freedom, losing all sympathy/empathy, and being outed from social norms all because of precognitive notions of paranoid masses who watched too much CNN/FOX news alerts with the sensationalized dramatic TV entertainment twist...has got to be worse than a slow and painful death.

The arrogant/naive parents who believe accidents don't happen and jump immediately to ridicule and criticism because they are fortunate enough to have not experienced such a loss are the worst.

Its because of people like that, the government wants more control of how you raise your kids and whether you are allowed to keep them or not. Its because of people/parents that scream from the rooftops in all their ignorance and arrogance that disciplining your child is a crime in almost all cases.

No one is perfect, people are fallible and the father in this case is suffering the consequences of his mistake...a far more severe punishment than any prison sentence could do. Throwing a prison sentence on top of him is outright cold and inhumane...may those passing this judgement on him receive the same if ever they find themselves to be less than perfect.

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 02:40 AM
link   
I am on the fence on this one. Leaving a child alone with an alien dog may or may not be considered neglect. But it definately does not justify anything close to 10 years at all. Thats just an upper limit.

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 03:13 AM
link   
Who would leave their dog unattended around a baby alone? I have 5 dogs and would trust NONE of them unattended. A baby could set off a lot of instincts in dogs, the high pitch squeaks, small size, wiggling around. It's just extremely irresponsible and dumb.

I don't think he should go to prison for it though.

edit on 3-5-2012 by RealSpoke because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 04:52 AM
link   
I had a German Shepherd. Guarded my new born without being told. The only two people that could approach were Parents. Never had a problem. Never had to worry! If baby needed a parent, dog would come and get us before baby started crying.

Thousands of parents each day do similar things. Parents do have to sleep and if the baby went to sleep in a swing, what an ideal time for Dad to have a nap.

My heart goes out to the father.

Some people making comments have no idea!

Such a sad event.

P

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 05:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by MastaShake
leaving any child under like 10 outside while you go take a nap is a pretty stupid idea. hes gonna have plenty of time to nap on his choices in prison though.

The baby wasn't outdoors. It was in an infant swing. The kind that automatically rocks the baby.

Since the family was dog sitting, I do feel that the father should have been way more cautious with a strange dog in the house. However, the article doesn't say how long the family has known the dog. If they had been watching the dog for a week or more and it showed no signs of violence or aggression, it might have been a mistake that anyone could make.

The article lacks a lot of information, but not every death or tragedy requires jail time.

edit on 3-5-2012 by MaryStillToe because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 05:13 AM
link   
First of all, I would not be dog sitting with a small child in the house. Secondly, stupidity is not a crime. Nor is it neglect. US jails are over utilized already. Enough of this bull, and save jails for the thieves and murderers.

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 05:42 AM
link   
reply to post by pheonix358

That is just irresponsible. All it takes is one high pitch noise for your dog to forget your baby is a human and not a squirrel. Or if your dog started to "play" with the baby and broke its neck.

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 06:13 AM
link   
Leaving a two-month old baby in a swing seems to me reckless.

Maybe people remember a similar horror story from NY about 30 years ago. A very young single mother left her baby alone in a room with her starving dog while she went out shopping - and the dog killed and tried to eat the baby. When that story first hit the papers people practically wanted to lynch the mother.

Then the full story came out slowly. The girl was all alone in the world, she had been made pregnant by rape, she had been robbed of nearly all her possessions. She had been reduced to living in an absolutely bare one-room apartment, with absolutely no furniture - not a table, chair, dresser, telephone, nor even a bed - sleeping on a mattress on the floor. She had taken in a puppy dog for companionship and maybe to protect her from further rape and robbery. She did not know any of her neighbors and she had no friends in the city.

When she went into labor, she had left the dog locked in the apartment. When she came home from the hospital with the baby three days later, the dog was starving and there were no groceries. She had no choice but to leave the newborn baby on the mattress on the floor of the same single room with the dog while she went out to get food for the dog, the baby and herself. And that's when it happened.

Puts a new complexion on it.

Also a couple of years ago Gene Weingarten, a humor writer for the Washington Post, got a Pulitzer for a very non-humorous article about those horror stories of parents who forget their babies sleeping in the car, and the kid dies when the car gets hot and stuffy. Weingarten pointed out that the govt and everybody else has fixed it so that car baby carriers (1) are in the back seat, and (2) facing backward, so it's painfully easy for a relatively new parent to succumb to habit and forget that the baby is in the car.

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 06:24 AM
link   
Waaahhhh.

Lock this #er up for life. Dog owners should not only be responsible for the actions of their pets, it should be assumed that whatever the dog does, the owner has done with intent.

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 06:47 AM
link   
Of course he should be charged, he left a baby alone with a dog while he slept elsewhere.
People need their bumps felt if they don't see the problem there, you should NEVER leave a dog, no matter how safe and loving you think it is alone with a small child. Yeah it was an unfortunate tragedy, but one that could have easily been avoided had he not NEGLECTED the child anyway.
You don't bugger off for a kip and leave a baby in sling, dog or no dog.

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 07:17 AM
link   

We all do. I say the man should be shown mercy.

It's a tough call for me, obviously if he's a human being, he is half of the man he was and will never be the same, how could you? how could you not spend the rest of your life reliving that? Imagining what that child suffered?

But here's the thing. It's clearly neglect. You can't leave a baby unattended, in a child swing for that matter, and go off to sleep. you can't. That's irresponsible to say the least.

And that doesn't even take into account a DOG. This was avoidable, and only happened because of neglect, willingly or otherwise, it's clearly a case of neglect.

There should be SOME punishment for this, but a jail sentence doesn't seem to me, to be the best thing.... Unless there is more to the story. As someone else mentioned...

How could anyone sleep through a baby being dismembered by a dog. Unless you are "on the nod" (can't explain that because of the T&C) I don't see it being possible.

At the very least, child protective services (even though they are FAR from perfect) should evaluate the situation and determine if the other children are safe in that home.

Just my opinion of course, not saying anyone else is wrong.

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 07:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by RealSpoke
Who would leave their dog unattended around a baby alone? I have 5 dogs and would trust NONE of them unattended. A baby could set off a lot of instincts in dogs, the high pitch squeaks, small size, wiggling around. It's just extremely irresponsible and dumb.

I don't think he should go to prison for it though.

They were dogsitting - so an unknown quantity and all the more reason to be cautious. But a crime of stupidity as much as neglect IMO. That length of prison sentence plus losing their other kids is too much I think. It's not as if he needs to be locked away because he is a danger to others. It's not as if he is likely to ever take that risk again. Compare to the case of Madeleine McCann whose parents went off to a nearby Tapas bar (Portugal) leaving a toddler and two babies alone. Both intelligent and wealthy, you would think they would have more sense/be able to afford proper child care. The girl disappeared - dead, abducted, who knows.. No charge of neglect, nothing. Amazing.
edit on 3-5-2012 by starchild10 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 07:42 AM
link   

This guy is a moron! I have a five month old daughter and she is never left alone because we have 3 cats. If I really need to take a nap and my wife isn't home guess what.... I MAKE COFFEE and wait for my wife to come home.

Or there always the option of taking a nap together. I wait for the little one to get tired, set her up in my bed or her crib, and we take a nap together. maybe sit in the rocking chair and doze off together.... I mean there are much better options than leaving an 8 week old alone in another room on a swing with a dog.

Does this guy deserve prison... Perhaps not. He's already in enough pain and suffering. Do you know what they do to people who have killed children in prison??? They don't care about the details, whether or not it was an accident. The guards will let people have their way with him... He will get regular beatings. He doesn't deserve that as no one will beat him up harder than himself anyway. Not to mention the fact that he probably can't even look the child's mother in the eye.

Another thing... Do people not know much about dogs.

Dog first then baby = bad.
Baby first the dog = safe

Dogs get jealous ( as do cats ) when they are no longer the center of attention. And while not all dogs will attack a baby like that, it's always a huge risk. I monitor my cats closely and how they interact with my daugter. And I'm lucky that 2 absolutely love her, and the third just ignores her entirely. But if I would ever see one scratch on her from a cat, do not pass go, do not collect 200 cat treats, that cat is getting smacked, then thrown out the front door never to return!

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 07:55 AM
link   
It was utter stupidity. This man didn't own the dog, so right off the bat you don't need to have the dog of your friend or neighbor unattended next to your infant. Still it was a mistake, and he has just been charged for crime that carries a max of 10 years doesn't mean he will be serving 10 years.

He may get none at all given the circumstances as long as no drugs or alcohol played a part in him not being able to hear the incident. To take the kids away from the family may indicate a bigger picture as far as living conditions. The mother did what she was supposed to when she got home, so for them to take the other kids away might mean they saw something in the living conditions that caused concern.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join