It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Pirate Bay blocked by UK IPS's.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Virgin Media has blocked TPB.

They reacted by releasing proxies and bypasses. There are also add-ons for browsers to over come this.

Filesharing website is now blocked to millions of UK customers after high court rules that it flouts copyright laws

The filesharing website The Pirate Bay has been blocked to millions of UK internet users following a high court ruling earlier this week. Customers of the country's second-biggest internet service provider (ISP), Virgin Media, were on Wednesday denied access to site. Other internet providers, including BT and Sky, are expected to follow suit within weeks. Britain's ISPs were on Monday ordered to block access to the The Pirate Bay after the court ruled that it flouted copyright laws. Virgin Media provides internet access to about 4.1 million cable customers in the UK, and more users who opt for its high-speed fibre-optic service. It has 21.5% of the market share, behind BT with 27.5%. Customers for Virgin Media's rivals said they could still access the filesharing website on Wednesday afternoon. The provider said in a statement: "Virgin Media has received an order from the courts requiring it to prevent access to The Pirate Bay in order to help protect against copyright infringement. "As a responsible ISP, Virgin Media complies with court orders addressed to the company but strongly believes that changing consumer behaviour to tackle copyright infringement also needs compelling legal alternatives, such as our agreement with Spotify, to give consumers access to great content at the right price."

www.guardian.co.uk...
edit on 2/5/2012 by GLaDOS because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 05:24 PM
link   
reply to post by GLaDOS

Its available on O2, which is rented BT infrastructure so I assume it will be available on BT as well.
edit on 2/5/2012 by Grifter81 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 05:25 PM
link   
First they tried to kill pirate bay... then they tried sopas, pipas and whatever, now they just block the whole country from accessing a website.

When will these guys learn that you CAN'T stop it?

There will always be a back door, a dark alley, a narrow gap...

You'd have better luck and better odds trying to stop the lava flow of yellowstone.

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 05:45 PM
link   
The UK Pirate Party has stood fast in the face of censorship they get you what you want and how you want it!
Censorship shall never win, the signal wants to be free!

Mal. Guy killed me, Mal. He killed me with a sword. How weird is that?

Imperialism in the face of Piracy, who needs a letter of Marque?

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 06:56 PM
link   
Yep, dont know if it was intentional but I couldnt get to it via my 3 account but it was easily proxy'd.

I dont download illegal stuff and people need to realise that NOT EVERYTHING is illegal!! I use it a lot for free ebooks etc..

Have a flag and a star sir

edit on 2-5-2012 by VoidHawk because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 02:47 AM
link   
forgive me for being vague in what I am about to say (I won't name companies as I want to prevent them from being taken down)

most "blocking" is being done by manipulating DNS servers at the side of ISPs.
most people use these DNS servers by default as they are unaware of what this thing is doing.
I'm not going to explain in detail how it works, as this isn't required for us to take action and avoid this kind of blocking (for those who want to find out the details: please do some searching, DNS isn't really a secret and is explained pretty well on (even) wikipedia, for example.

please use (anonymized) google to find alternative DNS servers, there are some out there that you can use for free.
all you have to do is to add the IP-numbers they provide to stop your ISP from blocking these sites for you as the alternatives give you a bypass.
please refer to the help-files provided by your operating system to learn how to add these IP-numbers to your system.

good luck
and don't steal, of course, unless you are a banker :-)

new topics

top topics

join