It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 04:17 PM
link   
I am so sorry to take up space by creating this thread....BUT i am stuck i have searched a lot but cant find a place with reasonable prices to buy survival foods in the UK. (Bare in mind I have a very LARGE family and i am not a rich man) . Unlike the US we're its all so readily available through various stores. I thought that the survival community we have on ATS could help. Preparation and determination and we can survive I have determination but i am lacking preparation
Thanks to all post and take time to read this.

edit on 2/5/2012 by indisputable because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 04:21 PM
link   
You can pick up canned/tinned food from places like Asda/Tesco, their own brands are good and very very cheap, especially Asda's.

Tinned foods last very long, stuff like soups, baked beans etc.

But I know what you mean that we in UK don't have a survival food store or website available to us

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 04:27 PM
link   
reply to post by indisputable

There are many Mormon communities in the UK. You might try to find one near you. Here, in the U.S. you can purchase food in bulk from them. Or, they can give you contacts for where to buy in bulk at low prices.

Best of luck in your quest....

Des

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 04:31 PM
link   
What about making your own dehydrated food? Your children could help put food away and that way you would have what you like.

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Destinyone
reply to post by indisputable

There are many Mormon communities in the UK. You might try to find one near you. Here, in the U.S. you can purchase food in bulk from them. Or, they can give you contacts for where to buy in bulk at low prices.

Best of luck in your quest....

Des

Des hit the nail right on the head there.
I was busy trying to find one that ships international online, but shipping overseas can be very pricey.

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by AuntB
What about making your own dehydrated food? Your children could help put food away and that way you would have what you like.

This is what I had to do. There is no way I can afford all those prepackaged meals or MREs or anything that is available online. Or I could, but the amount I would be able to afford almost wouldn't be worth it. I started making dehydrated food. I am making complete meals in a jar. Here is an example:

Yankee Pot Roast and Butter Mashed Potatoes in the Jar:

Yankee Pot Roast and Butter Mashed Potatoes on the Plate:

Obviously, you should make this once and then the family should eat it. Make sure it's the right fit for your family before you go out and do this in 50 different jars.

Here is the blog I am getting the meals in a jar from: Chef Tess's Blog
edit on 5/2/12 by Ameilia because: spelling

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Although I live in the States, I haven't been buying food from survivalist places. I simply buy extra each time I go shopping, and have done so since March 2011. I buy a great deal of canned meat (chicken and tuna), lots of beans, rice, noodles, canned veggies and fruits, peanut butter and jam, crackers, etc.

I also bought a great deal of flour, sugar and oil. I use every single plastic jug after it is empty to store non-potable water, and I buy potable water and store it in my tornado cellar.

People that plan on "bugging out" need the MREs because they are light and portable. We are already bugged out, so the weight of the food doesn't matter.

Since you're in the UK, try eBay: www.ebay.co.uk...

I see that some of the sellers are in the UK, so you don't have to pay for overseas shipping. Good luck!

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 04:53 PM
link   
30 or more years ago I lived a total self sufficient lifestyle with a group of friends
I am no longer with those people but am if needs be self sufficient in food by growing it.
May I suggest that rather than a bug out situation make a garden

edit on 2-5-2012 by artistpoet because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Do you have a feed store you can buy dried corn in 50 pound feed bags cheep. You can grind it and bake it. Check out all the feed its all good just learn how to prep it, and its all very cheap.

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Large 10 or 20 lb bags of rice are common here. Wifey says it goes bad, not sure how long it will keep.

There are also life boat cookies that are fairly small, might be cheap to ship.

Always a popular choice, primarily because of their vanilla/lemon flavored 'cookie dough' taste. Both young and old find these bars tasty.

I think these are the kind I purchased

www.usaemergencysupply.com... age_life_of_foods.htm#link16

Brown and White Rices
Brown and white rices store very differently. Brown rice is only expected to store for 6 months under average conditions. This is because of the essential fatty acids in brown rice. These oils quickly go rancid as they oxidize. It will store much longer if refrigerated. White rice has the outer shell removed along with those fats. Because of this, white rice isn't nearly as good for you, but will store longer. Hermetically sealed in the absence of oxygen, plan on a storage life for white rice of 8-10 years at a stable temperature of 70 degrees F. It should keep proportionately longer if stored at cooler temperatures. Stored in the absence of oxygen, brown rice will last longer than if it was stored in air. Plan on 1 to 2 years. It is very important to store brown rice as cool as possible, for if you can get the temperature down another ten degrees, it will double the storage life again.

edit on 2-5-2012 by kawika because: add text

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 05:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Ameilia

What you are doing sounds practical i will be checking your link thanks a lot

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 05:27 PM
link   
reply to post by AuntB

I think what you have suggested is my best bet. I will look up as much as i can about the method of preparing dehydrated food.

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 05:34 PM
link   
reply to post by kawika

Thanks for the facts and links.

top topics

join