It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Big Solar threatens existence of rare desert tortoise

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Big Solar threatens existence of rare desert tortoise
by Audrey Hudson -- Human Events
05/01/2012

The desert tortoise is a protected species.

Solar power is the "power" of the future and is held in high regard.

But it looks like there's a dilemma.

The desert tortoise, a threatened species protected by the federal government, is fighting for its existence against the expanding encroachment of Big Solar into its native habitat of the Mojave Desert in California.

The battle between environmental groups and the fledgling green energy industry has prompted a lawsuit against the government to block the multi-billion dollar Calico Solar Power project, which would cover 4,000 acres of the turtle’s vital habitat.

The green groups want the company to relocate from its seven-mile campus to a less sensitive desert area.

This apparently is an ongoing problem

This isn’t the first time the turtles have been threatened by the towering solar mirrors. When the $2.2 billion BrightSource Energy solar complex was recently constructed, the company spent $56 million to protect and relocate the reptiles, although at least one was accidently killed when it was run over by a vehicle.

The protection included a 50-mile fence costing $50,000 per mile to keep the relocated tortoises from moving back to their home.
That's an Expensive fence to say the least ....

I bet somebody made plenty off that deal

No problem with protecting the tortoises.

But it seems that a lot of environmental problems are stemming from the "Green Projects"

Related
Solyndra Not Dealing With Toxic Waste At Milpitas Facility

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 11:31 PM
link   
I starred and flagged mainly because it's important for us to know that all of our energy sources currently carry an environmental impact somehow. We can't get too zealous about the term "green" and get swept up in unconditionally suporting everything that gets slapped with the label "green" without understanding exactly what we are dealing with. The devil always gets his due. The harsh reality is we don't currently have a way of generating electricity that has zero enviromental impact. Someone is always in the way and is going to get hurt. Sometimes it is sea life, sometimes birds and people, and in this case, endangered tortoises.

I'm not sure what it is but tortoises are always in the way. When the inter county connecting road was being built in MD, they had to relocate a bunch of our tortoises, too. Heck, I didn't even know we had tortoises in that area until that road got built and all the fuss was raised.

I am sure there is probably a really smart and efficient way of handling the conflict over the tortoises. And I'm equally sure that way will not get picked unless someone with influence gets a good payout from it.

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 01:37 AM
link   
My best friend's grandpa owns a pet tortoise out here in the Mojave, coolest little dude ever. He's like 28 years old too! These reptiles are awesome and I hope they can stick around for a long long time.

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 02:40 AM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

Oh the irony of "green energy" threatening to kill off a species........

it's all the same, the entire energy industry is all bull#

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 04:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by TMG333
My best friend's grandpa owns a pet tortoise out here in the Mojave, coolest little dude ever. He's like 28 years old too! These reptiles are awesome and I hope they can stick around for a long long time.

i have one that is about 51 now as it hatched when i was about 10 years old.
it would come when you called it. the cantaloupe rinds helped get it attention.

The biggest danger to desert tortoises is not people but ravens that eat the newly hatched tortoises.
but the raven are also protected and can not be shot to protect the tortoises.
www.nytimes.com...
www.usgs.gov...

This so called problem with big solar is just another land grab by the cactus huggers(confused treehuggers)
Over 60% of the Calif desert is already closed to human use as parks, military and wilderness areas. and the rules and regulations are set up out here in the Mojave to protect the tortoises to the point construction companies have to hire tortoise handlers(people from the tortoises.protection groups that set around and watch the worker work and get big money for doing nothing) on all construction sites. even in the winter when the tortoises are hibernating.
Many of us that live in the desert need the work these construction jobs bring in and the long term jobs at these solar plants.
i have worked on 4 solar projects out here and once construction is over the tortoises are allowed back in and protected by the plant workers.
edit on 3-5-2012 by ANNED because: (no reason given)

top topics

join