It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kites and Obelisks

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 28 2004 @ 06:51 PM
link   
I worked on a History Channel project where the project leader, working with Cal Tech, used a parasail, a tower, and a clutch and brake system to lift a 33,000 pound obelisk from the horizontal to the vertical. It took less than an hour and all we needed were sustained winds >15mph. It was amazing to watch. I worked on the parasail handling team the day of the lift. This project demonstrated that the Egyptians could have used kites to lift extremely heavy weights. The History Channel has broadcast this episode many times and it is on their website.

posted on Sep, 28 2004 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Could they have come up with the clutch and brake system tho? I don't think chariots had anything like this no? Or even water wheels and such right? Wow, it worked tho? That sounds like an interesting show, any estimate as to when it'll be on air, or what production phase they are in now?

posted on Sep, 28 2004 @ 07:42 PM
link   
dximage

I just used some keywords from your post to check the www.historychannel.com and got NADA, Nothing, Zilch.

Provide LINKS or evidence please.

dximage claimed ... I worked on a History Channel project where the project leader, working with Cal Tech, used a parasail, a tower, and a clutch and brake system to lift a 33,000 pound obelisk from ... The History Channel has broadcast this episode many times and it is on their website.

posted on Sep, 28 2004 @ 10:22 PM
link   
I watched the episode. First they lifted a (very) small obelisk, then when they tried to lift a larger one a pulley broke while trying to lift it.

Also, they were using a very 'modernized' kite in their setup. Synthetic materials, technologically advanced design, etc.

They imported old-school rope in effort to copy what the Egyptians would have used. It snapped on at least one occasion.

Next theory!

edit: oh yeah, to the original poster... watching that guy get clotheslined by that kite rope was freaking hilarious! He got knocked the heck out

[edit on 28-9-2004 by onepoint9]

posted on Sep, 29 2004 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Cal Tech began with new materials and reverse-engineered backwards using older and more original materials such as hemp rope. You can't absolutely rule out the experiment because we used a nylon kite and rope. The clutch and brake was comprised of two marble plates with grooves hand-cut into them. The plates were hand made by a sculptor. The original kite was made after consulting with an ancient textile expert, but the kite was too fragile.

Next theory!

Why would you say this? The principle demonstrated was that when a sail opens a huge amount of energy, a unstable pulse, is produced. By capturing that wind energy and converting it to mechanical energy, a parasail lifted 32,000 pounds in 8-12" increments. When the parasail had traversed the rope railway we had it tethered to, the clutch would stop it. Then we simply pulled down the parasail and reset it for the next lift. The parasail did all of the work.

The theory was and is taken very seriously by Cal Tech, JPL, and NASA. NASA is interested in the technique for Mars construction in the low gravity/hig wind climate of the Red Planet. The technique is astonishingly simple and allowed a parasail-handling team of four people to lift a huge obelisk in under one hour using basic materials.

I was not the brains behind the project. I know the visionary/inventor and the scientists and I was a volunteer. To see the obelisk raised by a pararsail with your own eyes was persuasive. The Egyptians had a lot of wind, technology, and time. Based on the precision of the pyramids, it would not be difficult for me to accpet that the Egyptians could easily fabricate their materials handling requirements -- ropes, fabrics, etc.

The Head of the Aerodynamics Department at Cal Tech went on public record on the History Channel documentary as saying that the experiment demonstrated the validity of the hypothesis that the Egyptians could have used wind and kites to lift stones. The documentary stated that some modern materials were used. Part of the problem was time and money. If the inventor had more money and time, she could have potentially recreated the experiment.

Her next goal is to lift a 100,000 pound obelisk in Egypt. It has been lying on its back for 1000's of years. No less a person than Dr. Hawass extended the invitation. This visionary/inventor -- Dr. Maureen Clemmons -- is onto something.

posted on Sep, 29 2004 @ 02:36 PM
link   
Beautiful! Dr. Hawass extended the invitation. The same Dr. Hawass that many (around here, at least) believe is covering up and/or denying access to a great number of 'secrets.' His invitation should show you something.. you're probably barking up the wrong tree.

posted on Oct, 1 2004 @ 01:26 AM
link   
I came across this website by accident - it is interesting to see one's work thru other people's eyes. First off, I'd like to thank whoever the volunteer is - we could not have done our work without your contribution. Secondly, I'd like to thank the open-minded folks who at least entertained the idea of using wind to erect the monuments of antiquity. You cannot believe the vilification I have received from Egyptologists and couch-potatoes, and the animated encouragement from engineers. I am moving ahead just to see what we can discover - science for the love of science. If anyone cares, this is a self-funded project - the personal sacrifices have been enormous.

I am currently testing traction-sails made of both linen and silk. I have been challenged to construct a pyramid in the Mojave desert of 2-ton stones using 100% ancient materials. Although silk was found on mummies as far back as 3000 BC, that is still well after the pryamids were built. However, the ancient Egyptians had a technique (which we cannot replicate) of weaving linen so fine you could still see the nude human form under 7-layers. We will take the kite, hemp rope, hand-carved marble rope brake, log rollers and wooden ramp out into the desert to see what we can accomplish this fall.

One of the things that keeps me motivated is a quote from Schoenborn:

"Truth goes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Secondly, it is violently opposed. Finally, it is accepted as self-evident".

I feel that the Egyptians were mariners, the folks of Easter Island were mariners, and the people that sailed the blue-stones to Stonehenge were mariners. Somewhere, if we explore a little bit more, we might understand how they simply and easily harnessed the wind. As someone said earlier (and I can speak from direct field experience) it is a whole lot easier to use the wind than it is to push or pull multi-ton stones. When you see a single kite pull a two ton stone along log rollers, pull it up a ramp, then gently lift it over other stones, without one person pushing or pulling, it makes you appreciate the power of nature. It makes you rethink some of the myths of antiquty, for example Geoffry Monmouth in 1137 AD who said Merlin "moved the stones (of Stonehenge) from Ireland in one night in a whirlwind". Maybe instead of inventing fairy tales, they were trying to tell us something.

Thank all who took the time to watch the documenary. Wish me luck.
Dr. Maureen Clemmons

posted on Oct, 1 2004 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by onepoint9
Beautiful! Dr. Hawass extended the invitation. The same Dr. Hawass that many (around here, at least) believe is covering up and/or denying access to a great number of 'secrets.'

So because lots of people don't like hawass he must infact be an unscrupulous liar? Care to make anymore baseless accusations?

Dr. Clemmons
I came across this website by accident

It was pleasant to read your post. Please stick around the forum for a while, there are lots of interesting things and theories floated around here, some bunk, some controversial. I think the wind power idea was rather clever. I have a question tho, did the Egyptians have anything like the clutche and brake technology?

posted on Oct, 1 2004 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan
So because lots of people don't like hawass he must infact be an unscrupulous liar? Care to make anymore baseless accusations?

Because a lot of people don't like him, a lot of people do indeed believe he is an unscrupulous liar.

"(in)Fact?" The best of luck finding that around here.

And to answer your question, no, not right now. I'll just hang out and toss in my .02 as I see fit. But thank you for your interest in my opinion

posted on Oct, 4 2004 @ 01:04 PM
link   
I too saw the program, it was most interesting. I had seen one a few years earlier on Nova, where they were trying to set one by using sand--but as I recall, they did not have as much luck.

Nice to see some technical minds realistically considering some of those old 'how did they do that with out modern technology' questions.

top topics

join