It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ethics Watchdog asks FCC to Revoke Fox's Broadcast Licenses

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 01:25 PM
link   
This reeks of impropriety from the very start. Rupert Murdoch is under investigation in England for a case that has nothing to do with FOX News yet some are using that case as justification for silencing republicans in America.

The Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Government (CREW) sent a letter to FCC Chairman Julius Genachowski on Tuesday, arguing that U.S. law states that broadcast airwaves shall only be licensed to people of "good character" and used "in the public interest."

They're asking the FCC to revoke broadcast licenses for the 27 stations the Fox network owns in the United States.
The Hill

Is it just me or is this an example of ‘silencing the opposition’ in preparation Obama’s upcoming re-election bid?

What makes the Murdoch’s problem in England (which is simply an investigation at this point and his involvement is unknown) relevant to FOX News programming in US?

So if the head of a news organization is investigated for an alleged crime then any organization he/she is affiliated with is presumed guilty? Is this the new standard we want to set?

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Good.
I have no problem with Fox being taken off the TV.
They are stunningly and embarrassingly partisan.

CNN, NBC, CBS, and ABC all should go as well.

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 01:33 PM
link   

arguing that U.S. law states that broadcast airwaves shall only be licensed to people of "good character" and used "in the public interest."

Bahahahahahahaha, thats rich! As if at any time in recent history that law has been enforced...... On either side of the spectrum be it left or right. Come on.

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 01:40 PM
link   
Maybe they could replace Fox with Al Jazeera news.

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

I thought News Corp and Fox Network were separate entities?

It doesn't make sense.

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 01:50 PM
link   
CREW is just another left-wing partisan mouth-piece.
This is as startling as hearing the world is going to end this year.

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 01:50 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

I'll refer you to a CRTC (Canadian FCC type department) ruling that denied fox canada, because, in Canada, as a "news" outlet, you can't knowingly lie. Fox knowingly lies, this is documented fact, and I don't care if msnbc does too, go after them.

I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for FOX to go off the air, simply not going to happen. But personally? I think Fox should be required to stop referring to themselves as a news outlet.

Fox news doesn't break stories. Fox news doesn't report news. Fox news adds the republican spin to whatever stories are trending. I really don't have a problem with that, as long as they don't try to pass it off as news.

And yes, I would expect the same from any "news" organization. Fox is the only one willing to be openly biased and partisan, while calling itself fair and balanced.

Anyways, people and groups have been after FOX forever, who cares? I also agree that the phone hacking scandal has nothing to do with anything.

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by phishyblankwaters

Fox Entertainment, not Fox News.

I totally agree.

Obviously, the Canadians know what they're doing.

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 01:59 PM
link   
reply to post by watchitburn

Good.
I have no problem with Fox being taken off the TV.
They are stunningly and embarrassingly partisan.

CNN, NBC, CBS, and ABC all should go as well.

If this group was calling for ALL OF THEM to go because they’re all unethical I would have no problem with that. I have a problem with singling out FOX based solely on allegations made against one man.

That’s a bit extreme, no?

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Fox fair and Un- biased? I'm shocked there's someone willing to stick up for their tactics .....

www.youtube.com...

Murdock and his team did really under- handed things.....to get what they wanted....thier agenda, to hell w/ who they hurt.

If they're going to stoop to illeagle tactics over the ocean what makes u think their not doing it here?
The apple never falls far from the tree.

Unfair and unbalanced....they've been caught manipulating and lying about events over and over....

It's about time we open this can of worms and get rid of them!!!!

I give this group a F&S... Not to anyone that supports Fox's blatant lies on issues they only care about.
edit on 2-5-2012 by tracehd1 because: Add

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

as much as i despise FOX and Murdock, I have a serious issue with groups that try to silence a voice, however stupid that voice is. I also have an issue with them obviously thinking that they know who "the people of good intent" are. This is a dangerous road.

Instead of calling for a close-down of FOX, why not urging politicians to stop spending all the money in activities that kill people and use that money to rebuild education so a new generation is armed with knowledge. That would kill FOX in the end because no educated person would watch that pile of crap, so the money would dry up, so the game would end.

smells like voltaire, doesn't it :-)

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 02:02 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

Maybe, but it is a start.

In cases like this I am not concerned about fair. Guilty is guilty, and however their comeuppance is handed to them whether it is fair or not I could care less. What goes around comes around.

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 02:03 PM
link   
If they did pull the license, would that just be Fox news? What about FoxSports or FX movie channel.

I don't care if you don't like fox news because of partisan ship, it still a freedom of speech issue. CNN, ABC, etc ought to be wary of this, cause if it happens to Fox it could happen to them.

I heard on the radio awhle back at some white house press conference the admin tried to exclude the Fox news anchor. Apparently the other anchors complained about it until the Fox rep was allowed in. I think even the MSM libs see that as a disturbing presedent, excluding FOX.

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 02:04 PM
link   
reply to post by tracehd1

Fox fair and Un- biased? I'm shocked there's someone willing to stick up for their tactics .....

You completely missed the point of the OP…read slower.

They’re going after FOX because Murdoch is under investigation for something that happened in England which has NOTHING to do with FOX.

Your hatred of FOX shouldn’t make you incapable of seeing the ridiculous nature of this action.

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 03:26 PM
link   
I thought it was common knowledge that "news" (and I use that term loosely) (and I feel this way about basically ALL 'old media') stations are ALLOWED to lie. I would be surprised if the 'ethics watchdog' case goes anywhere!! I don't consider lying to be very ethical, but then again what do I know, eh?

Fox Can Lie Lawsuit:
foxnewsboycott.com...

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 03:35 PM
link   
The Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Government (CREW)
OOH those guys the communist for raiding and erasing free speech
about the government... The ones who hate fox news only because
they criticize the obama admin AND they do not like what they say
and would like to shut them up. That is all I see, no real basis for
what they are claiming... Group of un/educated morons

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Habit4ming

I thought it was common knowledge that "news" (and I use that term loosely) (and I feel this way about basically ALL 'old media') stations are ALLOWED to lie. I would be surprised if the 'ethics watchdog' case goes anywhere!! I don't consider lying to be very ethical, but then again what do I know, eh?

I would agree that it is common knowledge that the MSM lies. The point I made in the OP is that this call to pull FOX’s license has nothing to do with anything FOX has done or said.

"The Murdochs clearly do not have the requisite character to retain their broadcast licenses," CREW wrote. "Accordingly, we request that the FCC immediately commence an action to revoke their licenses."
link

They’re only attacking the character of Rupert Murdock, yet they want all FOX pulled.

FOX is no more deserving of FCC scrutiny than any other MSM network.

edit on 2-5-2012 by seabag because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Might I add I dislike msnbc
but I believe they have every right
to air what they air, unless of course
they say edit 911 calls or something to make
someone sound racist....
oooooo damn no calls for a fcc shut down
over that??? Come on this has AGENDA wrote
all over.
edit on 2-5-2012 by popsmayhem because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 04:02 PM
link   
When partisan agendas can be used to silence opposition then this country is lost. If the FCC does this then every elected or appointed official should either step down or be removed from office. I don't care for what Nacy Pelosi's has to say but I will be damned if I would remove her ability to say it by manipulation of the system.

CREW had best be very careful for what they wish for, they just might get it as I have little faith that the current regime called an administration would hesitate for a second to overthrow the core of fundimental rights outlined by the Constitution as the limits of power.
edit on 2-5-2012 by Ahabstar because: iPod and it's tiny keyboard.

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ahabstar
When partisan agendas can be used to silence opposition then this country is lost. If the FCC does this then every elected or appointed official should either step down or be removed from office. I don't care for what Nacy Pelosi's has to say but I will be damned if I would remove her ability to say it by manipulation of the system.

CREW had best be very careful for what they wish for, they just might get it as I have little faith that the current regime called an administration would hesitate for a second to overthrow the core of fundimental rights outlined by the Constitution as the limits of power.
edit on 2-5-2012 by Ahabstar because: iPod and it's tiny keyboard.

How well off was a country that gets it's news from a network like FOX News before that happened?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join